Javier Mendez: Usman Nurmagomedov is the most talented fighter Ive come across

I think Javier is probably only saying this because of how "easy on the eye" his fighting style is. He really does look super fluid and his kicking game is spectacular. We will get to know if he has toughness to match in the next fight.

Usman is very good. Maybe the best Nurmagomedov. Mendez thinks all his fighters are the best to ever exist though.

Hard to know how good he is until he faces adversity. From what I've seen his grappling is not nearly on the same level as Khabib or Islam but his striking and in particular his kicking game is a treat to watch.

He does look a special talent but he's more Yair than Khabib.

I wouldn't say more Yair than Khabib, I'd say Khabib was the prototype and maybe the most talented but certainly the roughest around the edges. And yes it's true, Umar and Usman came from a Muay Thai background while Islam and Khabib a grappling background but you can see the Abdulmanap and Mendez influences. They are very technically and defensively sound, the level of discipline they exhibit as fighters in their mid twenties is pretty shocking and they are so well rounded. Well rounded and intelligent with it, they won't needlessly strike with someone then can grapple nor will they needlessly grapple with someone they can strike with, they will impose their skills against their opponent in the most effective and risk averse way possible. No sense of pride either, no lapses in focus, they dont take unnecessary risks. Their conditioning is top notch too, they are always dictating and fighting their fight and almost never show signs of slowing down.

I don't think their grappling is as far along but Umar was a Sambo world champion and you can tell there's a strong emphasis on physical strength, control, positional dominance. They like their single legs, their body locks, their trips and mat returns. They're super sticky on the cage when they wrestle too, its there and Khabib, Islam and Abdulmanap have worked rigorously on the grappling with them.

What Abdulmanap did was a big deal, selling everything and moving to Makhachkala to open a gym and having Usman and Umar and Islam and so many others come out to train and devote themselves to provide futures for them and many others. He even noted how in Makhachkala there were the needed resources for fighters which is to say he didn't think he could do everything on his own despite being one of the best Sambo coaches in Russia, a Judo coach and very experienced. You see Khabib and Islam working with different Olympians, I saw Umar fly out to Uzbekistan and meet with Murodjon an undefeated boxing champion. He knew they needed to be connected to the world and but rooted in their culture so the capital was the way to go. Even emphasizing that his fighters needed to learn English and train at American gyms so they could have different perspectives, fighting in Russia and the US isn't the same, the styles, body types, strengths and weaknesses can be different and also a technical striking coach was needed for them as Abdulmanap isn't a striking coach/wasn't and Dagestan has limited striking resources compared to grappling.

Lastly these guys have devoted their lives from an early age and clearly the genetics in Dagestan are very strong. Abdulmanap really tried to build a dynasty in MMA and the approach is super intentful. To circle back, sorry for rant, Yair is crazy talented but he gets hit a lot, he gasses, he gets bullied by grapplers, his fundamentals are often unsound...Hes nothing like them, even if he beat one of them this opinion wouldn't change. Umar and Usman will be world class for their entire careers whether UFC champions or not, even if they have some losses. They're too good and too overprepared and experienced for their ages. Yair is more thrown together.

I wouldn't say more Yair than Khabib, I'd say Khabib was the prototype and maybe the most talented but certainly the roughest around the edges. And yes it's true, Umar and Usman came from a Muay Thai background while Islam and Khabib a grappling background but you can see the Abdulmanap and Mendez influences. They are very technically and defensively sound, the level of discipline they exhibit as fighters in their mid twenties is pretty shocking and they are so well rounded. Well rounded and intelligent with it, they won't needlessly strike with someone then can grapple nor will they needlessly grapple with someone they can strike with, they will impose their skills against their opponent in the most effective and risk averse way possible. No sense of pride either, no lapses in focus, they dont take unnecessary risks. Their conditioning is top notch too, they are always dictating and fighting their fight and almost never show signs of slowing down.

I don't think their grappling is as far along but Umar was a Sambo world champion and you can tell there's a strong emphasis on physical strength, control, positional dominance. They like their single legs, their body locks, their trips and mat returns. They're super sticky on the cage when they wrestle too, its there and Khabib, Islam and Abdulmanap have worked rigorously on the grappling with them.

What Abdulmanap did was a big deal, selling everything and moving to Makhachkala to open a gym and having Usman and Umar and Islam and so many others come out to train and devote themselves to provide futures for them and many others. He even noted how in Makhachkala there were the needed resources for fighters which is to say he didn't think he could do everything on his own despite being one of the best Sambo coaches in Russia, a Judo coach and very experienced. You see Khabib and Islam working with different Olympians, I saw Umar fly out to Uzbekistan and meet with Murodjon an undefeated boxing champion. He knew they needed to be connected to the world and but rooted in their culture so the capital was the way to go. Even emphasizing that his fighters needed to learn English and train at American gyms so they could have different perspectives, fighting in Russia and the US isn't the same, the styles, body types, strengths and weaknesses can be different and also a technical striking coach was needed for them as Abdulmanap isn't a striking coach/wasn't and Dagestan has limited striking resources compared to grappling.

Lastly these guys have devoted their lives from an early age and clearly the genetics in Dagestan are very strong. Abdulmanap really tried to build a dynasty in MMA and the approach is super intentful. To circle back, sorry for rant, Yair is crazy talented but he gets hit a lot, he gasses, he gets bullied by grapplers, his fundamentals are often unsound...Hes nothing like them, even if he beat one of them this opinion wouldn't change. Umar and Usman will be world class for their entire careers whether UFC champions or not, even if they have some losses. They're too good and too overprepared and experienced for their ages. Yair is more thrown together.
Why does Usman come from Muaythai background brother? I thought he grow up in the same neighborhood as the bathtub gangs?

Why does Usman come from Muaythai background brother? I thought he grow up in the same neighborhood as the bathtub gangs?

They are from different villages than Khabib and Abdulmanap. Usman and Umar grew up together and began in freestyle like every other Dagestani kid but they they trained Muay Thai and fell in love with it. Seems they began building a striking base and focus much earlier than Khabib and Islam. I'd like to know if they competed in hand to hand combat tournaments, Sanda or muay thai fights in Russian but I don't think they've been asked those questions, but their style of striking makes it seem like they probably did a lot of that growing up. I'm also not entirely sure when they moved to Makhachkala to live and train at Eagles MMA with Islam, Khabib and Abdulmanap but I'm certain they were teenagers.

Not sure how many fights he has left on his contract but the ufc needs to sign him. Dude is a monster in the stand-up.

Grappling still needs a little work though. Had pitbull mounted and couldn't finish him from there.

Not sure how many fights he has left on his contract but the ufc needs to sign him. Dude is a monster in the stand-up.

Grappling still needs a little work though. Had pitbull mounted and couldn't finish him from there.
If he wins the tournament he'll probably sign with the UFC.

I wonder where they'll rank him though, Chandler got top 5 instantly then fought for the title.

He will stay in Bellator at least until the end of Grand Prix. He wants easy $1 million.
I think he will stay there until Islam pops or retires. It does not make sense for him to sit out and take the same approach as Islam, whean Khabib was still in the UFC. They are not going to fight eachother and at this point I don’t think that non of them is going up to 170.

If he wins the tournament he'll probably sign with the UFC.

I wonder where they'll rank him though, Chandler got top 5 instantly then fought for the title.

Chandler fought Hooker tho who was ranked 6th and took Dustin to the limit in a 48-47 FOTY nearly finishing him. Dustin was the consensus best LW with Khabib retired too. His stock was sky high. He was the last to beat Burns as well at the time and by KO and Burns was on a tear and just dominated TWood and was about to fight Kamaru. Dan has lost more recently but beating him then was a big deal and he murked him in half a round when Dan was crazy durable.

I think he will stay there until Islam pops or retires. It does not make sense for him to sit out and take the same approach as Islam, whean Khabib was still in the UFC. They are not going to fight eachother and at this point I don’t think that non of them is going up to 170.

Too bad they won't fight each other. I got a feeling that Bellator LW Champion is better than UFC LW Champion at this moment.

Too bad they won't fight each other. I got a feeling that Bellator LW Champion is better than UFC LW Champion at this moment.

I mean its not the only division.

Vadim VS Jamahal
Eblen VS Alex
Amosov VS Leon
Stots VS Aljo

Volk is probably better than Patricio but thats a tough fight for him too.

This is like the 9th fighter Javier has said this about. Not saying he's wrong or lying but it definitely cheapens it and makes it hard to take him seriously.

Great post and I didn't mean he's a carbon copy of Yair but his kicking game due to Muay Thai has some resemblance.

Hard not to like and he seems a genuinely humble guy. Both brothers are almost apologetic to their opponents after their fights.

Hard to know how good he is until he faces adversity. From what I've seen his grappling is not nearly on the same level as Khabib or Islam but his striking and in particular his kicking game is a treat to watch.

He does look a special talent but he's more Yair than Khabib.

This is a great post and I couldn't agree more. I'm a Yair fan and I like this comparison. Usman's strategy and tactics in there are on another level compared to Yair. He dictates where the fight will take place and this is very important when you are a kicker (of course his other skills are very good too). Yair didn't get to strike much when he fought Frankie and I don't think Usman spends rounds on his back against Max, even though he's only 24. When talking about Yair I think this version of Yair is much different than the young Yair even though what you said still holds. He still has the holes only they've gotten a lot smaller. Usman at 24 is something very special. I'm excited to keep watching his fights.

If he beats the French guy then I think he's arguably the uncrowned king of the lightweights.

He will stay in Bellator at least until the end of Grand Prix. He wants easy $1 million.
He will have some troubles with the likes of Shabliy, Mansour and McKee, wont be as easy.

Looks talented but he's still in Welfarator. Get to the ufc and get that 2.5k venom check boiiiii

Back