Media Javier Mendez post-UFC 254

Ackmed

Silver Belt
Reaction score

This is a long one so I played it while driving on the highway so couldn't make live Cliffs but some interesting things that stuck out:

- Khabib has great standup and he's happy his last fight got to prove the doubters (who thought Khabib was an incomplete fighter) wrong.

- His standup improved each fight and this time he pressured and beat one of the most dangerous strikers in a fight that was mostly standing.

- Usman called Khabib to ask (as a friend) if its OK for him to train with Gaethje and Khabib said definitely, he wanted Gaethje to get all the help he can.

- Khabib never lost a "sparring session" although he has lost some sparring rounds. A sparring session at AKA has rotating opponents who are fresh each round so its unheard of to never lose a session.

- Cain, DC, everyone else who trained AKA has lost a sparring session

- Khabib has never tapped in training

- Javier wanted to postpone the fight off after both mumps and broken toes but Khabib insisted he would be fine.

This is a long one so I played it while driving on the highway so couldn't make live Cliffs but some interesting things that stuck out:

- Khabib has great standup and he's happy his last fight got to prove the doubters (who thought Khabib was an incomplete fighter) wrong.

- His standup improved each fight and this time he pressured and beat one of the most dangerous strikers in a fight that was mostly standing.

- Usman called Khabib to ask (as a friend) if its OK for him to train with Gaethje and Khabib said definitely, he wanted Gaethje to get all the help he can.

- Khabib never lost a "sparring session" although he has lost some sparring rounds. A sparring session at AKA has rotating opponents who are fresh each round so its unheard of to never lose a session.

- Cain, DC, everyone else who trained AKA has lost a sparring session

- Khabib has never tapped in training

- Javier wanted to postpone the fight off after both mumps and broken toes but Khabib insisted he would be fine.

Just cause he didn't tap doesn't mean he was never put to sleep.

But more likely is that people like / fear Khabib and don't want to risk pissing him or his friends off by trying to put his lights out.

Good thing he didn't grapple with someone like palhares.

Appreciate the Cliffs Ackkkkmed, It's like an hour long so your Okay for not giving a PBP.

I know this is a bit from Submission Radio, but I just love when Khabib says "My toe may be broken but my mind is not" and to see Javier Mendez further elaborate on that here is cool.

As for Khabib's training comments, I know the Stories are starting to get to Chuck Norris levels of Lol worthy, but it's kind of hard to not believe anything Jav is saying here, he's dominated everyone we've seen him face, and ran through every ELITE Striker at 155. No reason to NOT believe he never lost a session when he's been nothing short of dominant inside the Octagon.

coaches always have one answer for the media and another for reality

didn't someone say they weren't even close as a coach/fighter, people are so dumb

Just cause he didn't tap doesn't mean he was never put to sleep.

But more likely is that people like / fear Khabib and don't want to risk pissing him or his friends off by trying to put his lights out.
Or he's an otherwordly grappler, even in practice.

Or he's an otherwordly grappler, even in practice.

After wrestling 3 guys he can't be tapped by the fourth ? This guy is sounding like William Wallace, can he shoot bolts of lightning from his arse as well ?

After wrestling 3 guys he can't be tapped by the fourth ? This guy is sounding like William Wallace, can he shoot bolts of lightning from his arse as well ?
It's not really that far fetched to imagine, but it's highly contingent upon who he's training with. Apparently he not only doesn't get tapped, but doesn't even lose a session. To be fair, Javier isn't the only one who says this either. I'm not going to speculate on conjecture we can't prove or disprove, but the end result in his fights is telling. The guy has officially lost 2 rounds, and both of them could have gone either way, out of how many he's competed in? And AKA doesn't seem like a gym where they're "nice to each other" either. Dunno. We will never know. I remember reading that Fedor didn't really "lose" in sparring either.

coaches always have one answer for the media and another for reality
I dunno, this is not regular "media" ... the guy interviewing him is also at AKA. Would be sort of awkward to lie directly to a guy who 100% would know if it was not true

Appreciate the Cliffs Ackkkkmed, It's like an hour long so your Okay for not giving a PBP.

I know this is a bit from Submission Radio, but I just love when Khabib says "My toe may be broken but my mind is not" and to see Javier Mendez further elaborate on that here is cool.

As for Khabib's training comments, I know the Stories are starting to get to Chuck Norris levels of Lol worthy, but it's kind of hard to not believe anything Jav is saying here, he's dominated everyone we've seen him face, and ran through every ELITE Striker at 155. No reason to NOT believe he never lost a session when he's been nothing short of dominant inside the Octagon.

I agree Javier is as honest as they come and doesn't blindly praise his fighters

In the same interview he calls Stipe the greatest heavyweight of all time and also said while he considers Khabib the current p4p #1 Jones would take it if he happened to get the HW title next.

Oh ya he also said any vacant LW title fight must have Dustin in it as he's the most deserving at this point

Back