Media Javier Mendez not underestimating Ferugson.

Deadwing88

Lion of Panjshir.
@Silver
Reaction score
“He’s got incredible cardio and really, really dangerous with elbows,” Mendez said. “Extremely dangerous. The most dangerous lightweight in the history of the UFC with elbows. Unorthodox, very effective unorthodox style. He’s got the heart of a lion.”

Mendez believes this will ultimately be a battle of will between two guys who are not known for breaking.

“You’re not gonna break this guy,” he said. “It’s not going to happen. He’s not going to break Khabib, neither are going to break. I don’t see that happening. I see these guys beating each other to death before they break. They’re not breaking. They’re not breaking, neither one of these guys are, so forget about that part. They’re not breaking. Now beating them down, that’s another story.

“He can beat us down and we can beat him down. My job is to have Khabib beat him down, so I have to be on that side because I can’t be another side. So we’ll beat him down and we’re doing everything we can to make sure that that happens. And that means acknowledging how dangerous these elbows are, acknowledging how dangerous his submissions are, acknowledging how dangerous he’s with his cardio, acknowledging how dangerous he is in these areas.”

Good. That way Khabib will be 100% when he dismantles Tony

“He’s got incredible cardio and really, really dangerous with elbows,” Mendez said. “Extremely dangerous. The most dangerous lightweight in the history of the UFC with elbows. Unorthodox, very effective unorthodox style. He’s got the heart of a lion.”

Mendez believes this will ultimately be a battle of will between two guys who are not known for breaking.

“You’re not gonna break this guy,” he said. “It’s not going to happen. He’s not going to break Khabib, neither are going to break. I don’t see that happening. I see these guys beating each other to death before they break. They’re not breaking. They’re not breaking, neither one of these guys are, so forget about that part. They’re not breaking. Now beating them down, that’s another story.

“He can beat us down and we can beat him down. My job is to have Khabib beat him down, so I have to be on that side because I can’t be another side. So we’ll beat him down and we’re doing everything we can to make sure that that happens. And that means acknowledging how dangerous these elbows are, acknowledging how dangerous his submissions are, acknowledging how dangerous he’s with his cardio, acknowledging how dangerous he is in these areas.”

Heard him interviewed on Luke Thomas's radio show a couple weeks ago. Of course I'm rooting for Tony but I gotta say I was really impressed by Mendez. I've heard him interviewed before, but he's hard not like.

I tend to agree with neither being broken too. Both of these guys break their opponents. One with volume and damage, the other with grappling that crushes their cardio. I can see these two smiling across the cage at each other at the start of round 5, like "How much you got left? Think it's enough?"

Khabib has never even gone through adversity in a fight, how do they know he will not break?

In all of the times this fight has been made, I’ve picked Tony every single time on cardio alone.
SlowAptHalibut-size_restricted.gif

Khabib has never even gone through adversity in a fight, how do they know he will not break?
Watch the Tibau fight... Or don't. It's pretty boring.

Just judging from that fight alone though, Khabib has good heart. Like Javier said, neither of them will 'break'. Such a dumb overused term lol.

He’s explaining Tony to the casuals, good on him. Us sherdoggers want to see this fight play out, least he’s saying he wants Khabib to do what he did to Barboza on Ferguson.

This is such a great fight holy fuck I hope it doesn't fall through again.

Never got the feel that Jav or Abdulmanap underestimate their opponents and esp. their strenghts. There is a lot of foolishness going on in MMA-coaching these days. I'm happy to see Khabib surrounds himself with people that will tell him whats up and not yes-man him.

Watch the Tibau fight... Or don't. It's pretty boring.
Just judging from that fight alone though, Khabib has good heart. Like Javier said, neither of them will 'break'. Such a dumb overused term lol.

I see your point but not sure if the term "break" is dumb and overused here since Khabib and Tony are known for breaking the will of their opponents

In all of the times this fight has been made, I’ve picked Tony every single time on cardio alone.
SlowAptHalibut-size_restricted.gif
Pretty easy to fight at your own pace and the way you want.
Mcgregor does 10 rounds in the gym and gasses in 2 in the octagon.
Fighting at someone else pace and style is a competely different beast

Back