Javier Mendez (Cain's Coach) Eating His Words

It's not that simple.

Many times the better fighter loses.

But I get what you are saying. Excuses suck, but can you really overlook Cain's 2 year long injury related layoff?

I can't.

Me neither, that's why he never deserved the belt and why he should never have a title shot again. Too bad Dana can't get over his man-crush on this made-of-glass mexican wannabe.

People always say things like that and then wind up eating their words after it doesn't go their way. I wouldn't put much thought in to it. If Mendez said otherwise it might look like he doesn't have confidence in his fighter, but given how Cain's fights have gone previously, I'm sure he thought it was a relatively safe statement

Me neither, that's why he never deserved the belt and why he should never have a title shot again. Too bad Dana can't get over his man-crush on this made-of-glass mexican wannabe.

Cain is a great fighter. No need for insults. His injuries suck, but I can't hate on a guy for getting injured a lot. I feel sorry for him.

Dana wants that Mexican market and is pushing Cain. Hate on Dana.

I wanted Werdum vs Arlovski. Anything other than another damn rematch.

and people forget than Werdum beatdown over Cain would have been WORSE than any of Cain's wins against JDS, had Cain not thrown his neck over Werdum. Cain was a zombie and this was like early mid 2nd only....

Before the Cain vs. Werdum fight at UFC 188, heres what Javier Mendez had to say about Cain:

"Werdum's not going to be able to handle the intensity."
"Werdum has no chance. Cain's gonna do what he wants to do with him."
"By saying a zero chance, it

holy crap, is that a shoop or did he actually do the trollface while choking cain? that's even more boss than bendo's toothpick vs diaz

Trainer makes incorrect predictions about his fighter, headlines ensue

Incorrect assertions, not predictions. That's why Dana Baldfather gets in so much hot water, too many assertions which prove false.

what's the problem? that's what a good coach does. he takes the blame, even if it wasn't his fault, in order to improve the psyche of his fighter(s).

coaches say a lot of things they probably don't truly believe...see Rousey/Edmond T.

actually...Edmond probably believes the shit he says but props to Javier for owning up to letting his fighter down and taking some responsibility.

I'd be surprised if Mendez had that kind of control over Cain's training. What if Cain didn't want to spend more than the two weeks in the 3rd world? Would he defy Mendez? What would Mendez do then? Or what if it was something like his diet or requiring Cain to leave his family for a while to train?

Minowaman> Headbutt Mark Coleman> Fedor GOAT> Sea level Cain> *

Never understood why trainers or coaches stay fat or get fat when they practically live in the gym.

It's shocking to me too. As much as they work with the fighters and spend time in the gym, you'd think they'd take advantage and hit the weights and get in shape.

well he is taking responsibility, to be honest that says more good things about him than bad as the title intends to

well he is taking responsibility, to be honest that says more good things about him than bad as the title intends to

It's easy to take the blame after the fact. If he had been a better coach we wouldn't be having this conversation because Cain would have spent more time in Mexico before the Werdum fight.

sounded like he didnt eat his words but just took responsbility for what happened - as he should, along with the fighter, if he feels its the right thing to do

i also worry a bit about fighters who lose and try to write it off to one thing, like the fight was a fluke - i hope he takes more than the altitude thing seriously when it comes to changes

if he wins, im going to be stoked

sounded like he didnt eat his words but just took responsbility for what happened - as he should, along with the fighter, if he feels its the right thing to do

i also worry a bit about fighters who lose and try to write it off to one thing, like the fight was a fluke - i hope he takes more than the altitude thing seriously when it comes to changes

if he wins, im going to be stoked

Me too, I can't wait to get back to waiting 18 months between title defenses

Javier never been the sharpest tool in the shed,as for eating his words it was nice to see.

Cain got one-punch KO'd by Dos Santos after coming back from an injury and a layoff.

You have to be delusional to think he wasn't taking damage when both guys were completely fresh. He wasn't in control of that fight in round 1.

Its a combination of injury, rust, age and how they matchup. Two more weeks probably could have helped. I don't think it fundamentally changes the obvious advantages Werdum had.

When Cain beats Werdum it'll only be because Werdum suddenly showed his age, overnight.

Lol this. Pretty much the story when any fighter that's had a decent career loses. They suddenly age overnight, are out of their prime, etc.

Back