JavaScript

daj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Any JS developers here in the Berry? Seems like teh ECMAscript is eating the world with the proliferation of client server frameworks. Trying to learn JS myself and curious if anyone could share their experience. It appears to have a tough learning curve but a lot of applications

JS goes wayyyyyyyyyyy over my head. Respect to you for attempting to learn it.

I use JS.. Kinda..

I use a bastardized version of it called UnityScript.

Javascript makes my tablet crash. Thats all I have to contribute.

It's not tough to learn. It's pretty easy. Developing in it can be a bitch though, since there is no proper built in error handling, nor any good IDE:s.

I could point you to dozens of articles that you could find on google anyway, so i won't do that.

However, I think w3schools tutorials are pretty straightforward and decent.

I'm no expert, but I can get around in JS. It's just a little more difficult (IMO) because it's a loosely-typed language (you can assign almost anything to anything), so it's easier to screw things up, but also more flexible. It's also an OO language, but it's prototype-based (vs classical), so that's a little different too (than Java, e.g.).

Anyway, I've also heard Douglas Crockford's book is highly recommended, and I may read it myself.

Another difficulty for me is that I just don't use it often enough, so it's not always fresh in my mind.

Oh, and I do like to use things like JSFiddle so you can play around with JS snippets and include different libraries.

Good luck.

MonoDevelop seems to work goodly for me.

codeschool.com will start you from the very fundamentals and take you all the way up to backbone.js, node.js, express.js, angular.js. Help you learn jQuery framework which is based off javascript. Its really a great starting place.

It's frightening how JS is eating the programming world, including the server side.

The ugliest language is now king

Back