Jaunty's "My House, My Rules" Fatherly Advice Basement Bar

Yeah, the rhetoric is/was the worst part. The victory speech was better, so hopefully that version of Trump is gone, because one of the main powers of the presidency is the ability to set the national conversation. I'm curious to see what his fervent supporters (not the lessor of two evils voters) do when he turns out to be a different guy than the one they thought they voted for.

P.S. - I appreciate the reasonable discussion here, I can't talk about this stuff on facebook, too much craziness.

Yeah, I hear you about wondering what his base supporters will do.

I looked at FB at 5am this morning, and the first post on my newsfeed was "the best part about a trump win is that now all my American friends will move to Canada." I shut off the phone...

The one thing that made Trump a worse overall candidate than Hillary, in my view, was climate change (and, more broadly, science) denialism. Other than that (which is a huge issue), both candidates sucked major ass.

Best thing that might come out of all this is that the notion that a non-establishment/outsider candidate can hope to win the presidency will enter public consciousness, opening the doors to reforms on both parties, as well as more worthy third-party candidacies in future elections.

It might seem judgemental but I think the majority of the people who supported Trump will be annoyed when he doesn't follow through on a lot or his promises but then they'll just go back to their lives likemost people do. Everyone turns into a political activist around elections and then forgets about it a week later.

I agree with miaou that the best thing to come out of the election will hopefully be both major parties taking a hard look at how they got here and ended up with two lackluster candidates.

I want nothing more than to travel forward 150 years into the future to read about the next 15 years. Im sure it'll be fascinating.

The problem is that we have a ton of uneducated, rural white people who are expecting him to build a wall, ship 11 million Mexicans home, fire up all the coal mines, stop every Muslim from coming into the country and nuke the middle east; these are the people I am scared of. What's going to happen when he doesn't actually mean to do all these things?

They'll probably just complain about the queers and go back to kissing their cousins.

It's funny that one of the ways the Trump campaign was trying to drive large numbers to the polls was to say a vote for Trump is a vote for Hillary behind bars, but then in his victory speech Trump went on and on about how great she is.

Well I guess one of the best things that could come from this is better Russian relations. Putin has expressed interest in negotiations with the US, and to try and come to better terms and move forward. This wouldn't of happened with Clinton. And I think Trump is the man who will turn Isis into nothing more than a skid mark on the underpants of the Middle East.. that's if they even wear underpants.
Is sounds like people in America are fed up with that whole Liberal mentality and just needs someone with a pair of balls (no matter how small in real life).
Trump winning is a big fuck you to the media that has been drip feeding us lies.

Well I guess one of the best things that could come from this is better Russian relations. Putin has expressed interest in negotiations with the US, and to try and come to better terms and move forward. This wouldn't of happened with Clinton. And I think Trump is the man who will turn Isis into nothing more than a skid mark on the underpants of the Middle East.. that's if they even wear underpants.
Is sounds like people in America are fed up with that whole Liberal mentality and just needs someone with a pair of balls (no matter how small in real life).
Trump winning is a big fuck you to the media that has been drip feeding us lies.

Something tells me taking out isis will just pave way for another group to rise to power. Honestly, I'd rather we just say fuck it.

It's funny that one of the ways the Trump campaign was trying to drive large numbers to the polls was to say a vote for Trump is a vote for Hillary behind bars, but then in his victory speech Trump went on and on about how great she is.

To be fair, he did that throughout the primaries too. Whenever someone dropped out or was DOA he backed off a bit. Except Jeb, I think. Think Trump still takes shots at him.

The problem with Trump having good relations with Russia or being isolationist allows Putin to be more aggressive with his foreign policy. Putin is running a country with vast social and economic problems and holds it all together by the strength of his personality. He will need to turn the focus of his people outward onto some other challenge to distract from the problems the Russian people have.

He could fund separatists in the eastern European countries like Latvia and then send tanks & trucks in to support them, and without a strong US to check that, especially a US that doesn't support NATO and a fractured EU if Le Pen takes France out of the EU, then there are no barriers to Russia. At some point whoever he is invading would have to logically fight back and then you get into a war footing. Regardless of the numerous failings of the EU the one thing it has ensured since WW2 is peace in Europe. We live in worrying times in many cases. This article is good:

Yeah, one person put it this way "This was a white-lash against a changing country".

Yeah a racist black guy with a history of disliking white people said that...so really, it's bullshit. Tons of black people voted for trump.

Obviously there were a lot of factors involved but in my mind, Hillary was such a bad choice that people would have voted for anybody. It was a dirty game, they cheated Bernie sanders out of his chance and nominated Hillary.....all the angry liberal could have had Bernie intstead of trump but their crooked greedy system put here in place. Also, the media has been lying left and right about the polls and who is winning to the point that so many people figured hillary would win that they just stayed home and didn't vote.

Liberals are fucking stupid. Trump 2016!!!! I voted trump.

Two horrible choices.

I voted for Gary Johnson, and he himself wasn't the ideal Libertarian candidate, but that's the party that aligns with my values.

What I like about Canada is that you're supposed to vote for your riding, not the guy in charge. I'm never going to simply vote a party just because their values, platform, etc... I'm going to vote for the person in my riding that best represents my interests. More people should do this.

The problem with Trump having good relations with Russia or being isolationist allows Putin to be more aggressive with his foreign policy. Putin is running a country with vast social and economic problems and holds it all together by the strength of his personality. He will need to turn the focus of his people outward onto some other challenge to distract from the problems the Russian people have.

He could fund separatists in the eastern European countries like Latvia and then send tanks & trucks in to support them, and without a strong US to check that, especially a US that doesn't support NATO and a fractured EU if Le Pen takes France out of the EU, then there are no barriers to Russia.

You mean kind of like what the Bill Clinton administration did with the 1999 bombing of Serbia and the 1998 bombing of Iraq (allegedly to distract from his impeachment hearings)?

Or kind of like what the George Bush Jr. administration did with the war in Iraq (where evidence for WMDs was fabricated)?

Or kind of like the Barak Obama administration's direct involvement in the 2011 Libyan civil war and it's alleged involvement in the protests and eventual ousting of the democratically-elected Russian-leaning Ukrainian president in 2014?

Last edited:
Two horrible choices.

I voted for Gary Johnson, and he himself wasn't the ideal Libertarian candidate, but that's the party that aligns with my values.

Every time Gary said something that I agreed with, I'd catch myself thinking "yeah this is the guy they need"... he'd say something that would make me question how he made it to adulthood.

The argument about Russia ans ISIS its kinda funny. It goes like... hey, if USA doesnt do a bunch of horrible shit starting wars, killing inocents and backing up fascist and terrorist...MAYBE others will. WTF people.

base trump supporters will end up getting upset only a few months into term; rioting because he's not building the wall or breaking down doors kicking out illegals. So they'll likely start doing it on their own. That's my greatest fear.

I voted for Gary Johnson as well, although I did prefer Clinton over Trump.

Not a good move in a swing state.

Yeah, I fucked up, Clinton seemed far enough ahead that it wouldn't be close in Virginia. It turned out to be much closer. Johnson did terribly compared to his poll numbers anyways. I think a lot of people who were Johnson supporters decided to vote Trump, I mean that would explain the extra 2-3% that Trump beat the polls by, Johnson underperformed his poll #s by a similar amount.

My vote didn't mean shit in Indiana. My neighbor is an engineer for a decent sized factory. He actually voted for Trump, but he's not a Trump nut or anything like that. He says almost the entire staff of line workers were hardcore Trump supporters. This isn't a factory that pays great either. I think it's hilarious these grunts making fairly shitty wages feel such a strong bond to Trump.

Back