JARAKAE FAD HANG Crocodile sweeps its tail

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Jarakaefadhang_face1.jpg

Do you train this kick? Do you ever use it in sparring or fighting?

I have only started doing a little MT training this year, so I am not certain what this kick is? I will ask about it. But, from what I can see there, it is what we call a ura mawashi geri/hook kick in karate.

If it is a hook kick, then I train it and use it sparring. In the dojo, we throw it with our foot flat, when sparring, instead of the heel, to avoid injury. The spinning hook kick is obviously the more powerful version.

its almost the same as a spinning hook kick.. but still different

Either looks like an avoided side kick, or as mentioned earlier, a type of hook kick.

Double post, cos I can't edit since I'm on dubs...

It's a spinning heel kick.

Targets : Temple, ear, neck, jaw, chin, head
Focus :The body is rapidly twisted around while simultaneously kisking the leg out in the rear towards the opponent, impacting the heel against the target
Step :
Pivoting on both feet, but with your body weight primarily on the right, twist your hips and trunkquickly clockwise, bringing your head round sharply to look over your right shoulder, so that opponent isout of your sight for the shortest possible time
Shift your body weight to the left foot and, still observing the opponent over your shoulder, begin to swing your right leg out to the rear.
Pivoting on your left foot so that it points out to the left and leaning your body over to the left, continue swinging your rigth leg round and up to impact the heel against the target

Do you train this kick? Do you ever use it in sparring or fighting?

Yeah I see it thrown sometimes in local fights and the gym but it doesn't get set up well (and I'm just as guilty)

The problem is that because it not part of the orthodox arsenal, nobody is taught how to set it up. For example I've been taught tons of ways to set up body shots and knees and kicks, I don't really know any good ways to properly set up a spinning kick.

The result is 100% having it blocked when you just throw it out, just like any other technique against a skilled opponent has a very low probability of landing when it's not set up.

Yeah I see it thrown sometimes in local fights and the gym but it doesn't get set up well (and I'm just as guilty)

The problem is that because it not part of the orthodox arsenal, nobody is taught how to set it up. For example I've been taught tons of ways to set up body shots and knees and kicks, I don't really know any good ways to properly set up a spinning kick.

The result is 100% having it blocked when you just throw it out, just like any other technique against a skilled opponent has a very low probability of landing when it's not set up.

Just work it into a combination so that all the footwork and momentum flows nicely. Without ever having thrown the kick before, I can only guess, but say use that kick on the end of a jab cross hook combo?

For normal spinning back kicks I either throw defensive ones as you would a defensive push kick, short and sharp or I'll get 'em in the corner and load it up there. I find it works a lot easier if they're limited for room :D

Saenchai used one against Petboonchu in their title fight last week, but you don't see it very often. It's a risky move.

This is one the most common of the 15 Mae Mai. Nothing all the special it is just a spin heel kick. Basic set up for it is either a missed leg kick, or faked leg kick that you slightly over rotate to be able to plant the foot and spin for the heel kick.

there are a few fancier setups but those are the main ones. If you are not learn this in MT then then you are probably doing an MT for MMA type of MT.

call it ushiro kake geri, ura mawashi geri or crocodile whips it tail or whatever you want.
Spinning heel kick by any other name...

call it ushiro kake geri, ura mawashi geri or crocodile whips it tail or whatever you want.
Spinning heel kick by any other name...

No.. there is a difference in how you do this kick.. Compared to the "normal" spinning hook kicks

No.. there is a difference in how you do this kick.. Compared to the "normal" spinning hook kicks

It's still a spinning hook kick. And there is no such thing as "normal" SHK, as there are dozens of variations, that still have the same name.

Thanks man, I owe you a couple.

Definitely a classic setup using the the crescent too, even in karate. I see the stiff/straight leg in the vid, which makes it a spinning wheel kick instead of a spinning hook.

What's the diff between a spinning wheel kick and a spinning hook?

What's the diff between a spinning wheel kick and a spinning hook?

Not much. A spinning wheel kick can be either a spin hook kick ( leg bending) or a spin heel kick (leg straight). It is mostly a matter of what the art in question decided to call it. Jarakae Fad Hang can be done either way as long as the kick is a spin and aims to hit with the heel.

Purists may argue about this, but in practice they tend to be the same.

Not much. A spinning wheel kick can be either a spin hook kick ( leg bending) or a spin heel kick (leg straight). It is mostly a matter of what the art in question decided to call it. Jarakae Fad Hang can be done either way as long as the kick is a spin and aims to hit with the heel.

Purists may argue about this, but in practice they tend to be the same.

I wondered as much. When someone mentioned ura mawashi, i didn't think it was a spinning kick at all.

Both wheel & hook are hitting with the heel?

Not much. A spinning wheel kick can be either a spin hook kick ( leg bending) or a spin heel kick (leg straight). It is mostly a matter of what the art in question decided to call it.

In effect its just a matter of adapting for distance. Close distance, spinning hook kick. Longer distance, spinning heel kick, straight leg.

Back