Japanese MMA NYE Mega Event Needs to Happen in 2013

They changed the date right before the event and many had flights and hotels booked

Yeah, that does suck.

NYE cards have not been great in Japan since 06. 09 and 10 were alright but even those were not close to as good as the old days. Genki Desu Ka might be one of the worst major cards I have sat through in it's entirety.

I've enjoyed them all, some better than others but can't remember one NYE card I didn't like. The wrestling/DREAM card was not the greatest but still enjoyed it.

It's not going to feel like New Years without a card. I miss my large-scale JMMA...

Same here.

What he's saying is that Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye was the origin behind Japan having combat sport events in Japan, in other words, Inoki held the first ever Japan NYE combat sports event.

I know that, I was talking about the IGF card that's planned this year with maybe a couple MMA fights added to a wrestling card and he was making it like it would some some big Inoki MMA card. Way off base.

The first grand prix events they put on were GODLY.

That tuna net hexagon was the start of jumping the shark.

They didn't refund my friends' flights from Fukuoka though.

And by the time they announced the change (very late), most people already had plans for NYE, and the holidays in general. The whole thing was very shitty for many people.

That really does suck man. I'd be pissed.

damn i miss the big shows in japan.

Same here

the last nye event was not good

I thought it was real good. A lot of finishes and overall exciting card. GLORY GP was also cool. Not the best NYE ever but solid.

Don't give up hope yet!

Last year the show was not announced until the last week of October.

There is still time.

True. Coming down to the wire again, I hope someone backs an NYE show.

The UFC should have a huge event the days of New Years.
Nah, that would be a pretty bad idea. Not every MMA fan is at home watching MMA on NYE. Some are out at parties, others are united with their families.

The UFC does plan a big event around NYE but not on NYE because American's don't spend it watching TV like a lot of Japanese people do. Big cultural differences on the holidays there.

Yeah, UFC schedules their NYE card right, on the Saturday near NYE but they should stack up this card every year.

I thought it was real good. A lot of finishes and overall exciting card. GLORY GP was also cool. Not the best NYE ever but solid.

i didn't. kawajiri sat in half-guard for 10 years, mckee gave up, phil baroni and some mismatches. all in all it was weak.

The sport of MMA desperately needs Minowaman to finally defend his prestigious Super Hulk title in a new Grand Prix on NYE.

Minowa
Pudzian
Tim Sylvia
Sappu
Lashley
Colussus
Brett Rogers
Kharitonov

i didn't. kawajiri sat in half-guard for 10 years, mckee gave up, phil baroni and some mismatches. all in all it was weak.

Bibi had a nice sub finish against DEEP champ, Will Brooks was impressive and had a nice finish against Kitaoka, Baroni fight with Sakurai was a battle, Aoki had a TKO finish over McKee, plus a solid HW GLORY GP....Was a solid event.

The sport of MMA desperately needs Minowaman to finally defend his prestigious Super Hulk title in a new Grand Prix on NYE.

Minowa
Pudzian
Tim Sylvia
Sappu
Lashley
Colussus
Brett Rogers
Kharitonov

Agreed

Minowa
Pudzian
Tim Sylvia
Sappu
Lashley
Colussus
Brett Rogers
Kharitonov

Im down for that all day

They should make the entire event DEEP vs. Pancrase, like the FLW fight, and hold it on NYE rather than Dec. 22nd. That could fill the void.

What a selfish!
They know about MMA business in Japan better than you.

Boxing is going to murder jmma in December for three years in a row.
All the main draws are gone, Kawajiri in UFC, then we got Aoki the Singaporean.
Even Glory is going to lose a lot of money since their Japanese kick boxers can't draw shit.
And all their big stars went to fight in USA.

Boxing will probably do good but MMA could possibly do well too with only 1 big event per year for now, even without Kawajiri.

Back