Japanese MMA NYE Mega Event Needs to Happen in 2013

that last all day event was a tid on the ridiculous side...aint nobody got time for dat!

10 hour MMA events from Japan on NYE are great. I got time for that, followed by a nap, and NYE party.

Why should a company that has never held an event in Japan and not Japanese owned lead the way? I'd rather see an actual Japanese event rather than a Malaysian event pretending to be Japanese.

ONE FC is an Asian MMA org. and the main contributing partner to the DREAM NYE show last year contributing many fighters to the event. I was listing them as a possible backer for the event, similar to Inoki or GLORY in past years.

Wat?

The NYE fight tradition started with Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye in 2001 and didn't really catch on until K-1 Premium Dynamite and Pride Shockwave joined the party in 2003. So it's more like 10 years.

Sadly, MMA is so dead in Japan that not even the NYE events can get on TV anymore. The last one broadcast on a major network was Dynamite 2010 and that one was basically a last-minute time buy. Essentially, NYE fights in Japan had a sweet seven-year run from 2003-2009 and have been slowly withering away for the last three years.

Yeah, you're right. That was just a typo. I meant 10 years.

They've had NYE events every year up to last year with these same poor conditions. They had something like 22,000 in the stands last year and a few years ago they had 45,000 in attendance. Japan needs at least one big show a year (too bad it has come to this).

ONE FC could do a really solid card in Japan if they wanted

Shinya Aoki vs Koji Oishi for 145 belt
Bibiano Fernandes vs Masakatsu Ueda for 135 belt
Yasuhiro Urushitani vs Shinichi Kojima for 125 belt
Nobutatsu Suzuki vs ?
Koetsu Okazaki vs ?
Koetsu Boku vs ?
Melvin Manhoef vs ?
etc

They have enough Japanese fighters and Dream fighters to put on a Saitama calibre card. I hope it happens in 2014.

They could put on a good card, especially if they work with their partners in ROAD FC, DEEP, Pancrase,...

Its been over-done, and even the Japanese fans are tired of it. Hence, the dwindling audiences. The average Japanese major card takes like 6 hours or more, and nobody wants to spend all evening and night cramped up in a dark arena on New Year's Eve for God's sakes! Its easy for you to call for more NYE Events, thats cuz you probably neither watch it live nor attend it live. I've watched it live, and i usually fall asleep half way through. Always end up DVR'ing it.

I watch them all live, start to finish.

This year the NYE-event will not gonna happen instead Glory will put on a big Tokyo show on December 21st. Purely focused on kickboxing

Last year the Dream production part of the NYE show had enormous costs. OneFC and Glory could not agree to combine an event with a MMA and Kickboxing part on NYE this year.

It is what it is. Maybe OneFC will put on a show on NYE.

That is bad news. Yeah, may ONE FC can put one on working with DREAM I hope to get it in a ring.

a special event One fc vs Glory/ Dream could be interesting, also i really want to see a fight between Colossa or an other one fc striker against a Glory kickboxer in a hybrid rules mma/kick boxing

Agreed, that would be cool

I really hope they have an event for NYE, I'll be in Japan during that time.

Yeah, I always wanted to see the AA vs. CC fight, even today.

Me too.

I cannot understand why Japan can't figure out a way to rekindle the interest in MMA. In the past, they had Akebono, Bob Sapp, some celeb actor who faced Krazy Horse Bennett, some comedian, etc. Can't they just follow some pro wrestling formula to manufacture a MMA draw?

I know they can't afford the world's best HW's like in the PRIDE FC days, but can't they get like 2 or 3 top guys to face each other for something to build on?

Me too.

I cannot understand why Japan can't figure out a way to rekindle the interest in MMA. In the past, they had Akebono, Bob Sapp, some celeb actor who faced Krazy Horse Bennett, some comedian, etc. Can't they just follow some pro wrestling formula to manufacture a MMA draw?

I know they can't afford the world's best HW's like in the PRIDE FC days, but can't they get like 2 or 3 top guys to face each other for something to build on?

I agree. I don't get it either, from where JMMA was just several years ago to what it is today is unreal..

I don't think MMA is just a "fad" as has been said. It's too great of a sport for that anywhere IMO. Japanese economy problem, I don't know.

Maybe Pancrase can grow into a bigger org. or some new org. shows up, hopefully soon.

Someone pleases wake TS up. Do you even know situation of fight sport scene in Japan?
Good bye mma/kickboxing, now boxing is totally dominating tv deal. Mma and Glory
can have Saitama arena, but they will make shit money because no tv deal for them.
Last year two major tv stations clash against each other in news year eve, by holding
5 world title boxing on the line. It will only get bigger this year.

Glory bleeds money every time they make events in Japan. They already have USA and
Spike tv so I doubt they will put amazing card like last year.

If an event goes down, it won't be a "mega event" and it likely won't air on AXS.

Andrew Simon on Twitter a few weeks ago noted airing Japan live wasn't working for them.

Glory bleeds money every time they make events in Japan. They already have USA and
Spike tv so I doubt they will put amazing card like last year.

Glory loses money on everything it does. They are paying their fighters like Affliction but there is no real competition in kickboxing right now. Spong and Rico Verhoeven probably got paid more one event than Spike pays Glory for a year.

A NYE show makes too much because of the history. It is easy to promote.

Viacom MMA could save some face and promote a card over there with an morning Japan start time. I don't think they would be opposed to Pride rules and one day tournaments.

Vale Tudo Japan did their first event around NYE 2012.

If no one else does anything, maybe they'll do a NYE event. IGF is the other leading contender.

Back