Japanese MMA NYE Mega Event Needs to Happen in 2013

ONE FC should probably lead the way with this event

Why should a company that has never held an event in Japan and not Japanese owned lead the way? I'd rather see an actual Japanese event rather than a Malaysian event pretending to be Japanese.

There have been great NYE shows in Japan for over 20 years

Wat?

The NYE fight tradition started with Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye in 2001 and didn't really catch on until K-1 Premium Dynamite and Pride Shockwave joined the party in 2003. So it's more like 10 years.

Sadly, MMA is so dead in Japan that not even the NYE events can get on TV anymore. The last one broadcast on a major network was Dynamite 2010 and that one was basically a last-minute time buy. Essentially, NYE fights in Japan had a sweet seven-year run from 2003-2009 and have been slowly withering away for the last three years.

Still can't believe there's still no super UFC event for NYE here in the US, even after the FOX deal and everything.

There is no NYE fight tradition in the United States. TV viewing habits are different than they are in Japan, where NYE is the most watched night of television by a longshot.

also did anyone see the rumor about Zuffa buying OneFC?

Saw it, smells like bullshit IMO.

OneFC has done a fantastic job of raising the level of MMA in and around the South China Sea, but none of those markets are high value targets for Zuffa. The only market OneFC has that the UFC has shown any interest in is the Philippines, and they don't need OneFC to crack that market. Buying OneFC wouldn't do anything to help them break into China, South Korea, or Japan, which are the markets they really value in Asia.

ONE FC could do a really solid card in Japan if they wanted

Shinya Aoki vs Koji Oishi for 145 belt
Bibiano Fernandes vs Masakatsu Ueda for 135 belt
Yasuhiro Urushitani vs Shinichi Kojima for 125 belt
Nobutatsu Suzuki vs ?
Koetsu Okazaki vs ?
Koetsu Boku vs ?
Melvin Manhoef vs ?
etc

They have enough Japanese fighters and Dream fighters to put on a Saitama calibre card. I hope it happens in 2014.

Its been over-done, and even the Japanese fans are tired of it. Hence, the dwindling audiences. The average Japanese major card takes like 6 hours or more, and nobody wants to spend all evening and night cramped up in a dark arena on New Year's Eve for God's sakes! Its easy for you to call for more NYE Events, thats cuz you probably neither watch it live nor attend it live. I've watched it live, and i usually fall asleep half way through. Always end up DVR'ing it.

afaik Inoki is working to put a NYE card on

Middleeasy rumor? Why buy ONE FC when they can just make their way into the region themselves? Unless maybe they want to buy it just to get Shinya Aoki like they bought WFA for Rampage to appease Chuck's longing for a rematch w/Rampage.

it would be terrible .

OneFc is only org with decent rules...

There is no NYE fight tradition in the United States. TV viewing habits are different than they are in Japan, where NYE is the most watched night of television by a longshot.

How about for once doing something not for the money but for awesomeness? Yeah not the way UFC likes things I know. Sad world.

The big NYE main event will probably be headlined by Kawajiri vs Aoki II at 145 pounds even though the first one was short.

Why can't Glory finance it? They have no problem with losing millions of dollars on each event. It would cause more MMA fans to be interested in their product.

This year the NYE-event will not gonna happen instead Glory will put on a big Tokyo show on December 21st. Purely focused on kickboxing

Last year the Dream production part of the NYE show had enormous costs. OneFC and Glory could not agree to combine an event with a MMA and Kickboxing part on NYE this year.

It is what it is. Maybe OneFC will put on a show on NYE.

a special event One fc vs Glory/ Dream could be interesting, also i really want to see a fight between Colossa or an other one fc striker against a Glory kickboxer in a hybrid rules mma/kick boxing

I vaguely recall Mike Hackler claiming knowledge of a NYE show recently. My guess is VTJ will have something gnarly planned.

Shinya Aoki (ONE FC Champion) vs. Naoyuki Kotani (ZST Champion/Shooto)
Isao Kobayashi (King of Pancrase) vs. Yui Chul Nam (ROAD FC Champion)
Andrei Arlovski vs. Mirko Cro Cop
Bibiano Fernandes (ONE FC Champion) vs. Shintaro Ishiwatari (King of Pancrase)
Sergei Kharitonv vs. Tony Johnson
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kazunori Yokota (DEEP Champion)

RVR vs. Kikuno
Alexey Oleinik vs. Aleks Emelianenko
Yoshiyuki Nakanishi vs. Luiz Cane
Roger Gracie vs. Tyrone Spong
Paul Buentello vs. Moise Rimbon
Maiquel Falcao vs. Kazuhiro Kakamura
Rousimar Palhares vs. Takenori Sato
"K-Taro" Nakamura vs. Nobutatsu Suzuki
Vuyisile Colossa vs. Satoru Kitaoka
Caol Uno vs. Hiroyuki Takaya
Koji Oishi (ONE FC Champion) vs. Doo Ho Choi

Alternative Other Possible MMA Fights
Masakatsu Ueda vs. Daiki Hata "D.J. Taiki" (DEEP Champion)
Will Campuzano vs. BJ Kojima
Mikihito Yamagami (Shooto Champion) vs. Mitsuhisa Sunabe (King of Pancrase)

GLORY Kickboxing (Mixed in with the MMA Fights)
HW 4-Man Tournament
LHW 4-Man Tournament

Decent card... Cro Cop vs. Arlovski would be good

Inoki still has interests in NYE MMA I believe, they'll probably be the backers I imagine for a NYE event this year, unless OneFC wants to spend the money.

That would work. Inoki backed the DREAM show a couple years ago. I think he has a IGF card planned for NYE though with CC/Ishii on it and maybe a couple other MMA fights though this year.

Still can't believe there's still no super UFC event for NYE here in the US, even after the FOX deal and everything.

Fuji/SkyPerfect seem to have no interest in MMA rite now, if anything they'll iPPV finally.

I know, I would have thought by now UFC would be holding major shows on NYE. They were rumored not long ago to have that mega show in July but that didn't happen this year either.

Not enough money this days in Japan to do something of this magnitude

These are just some of the preferred fights. Even if a number of these or similar fights were put on a card it would be great.

Not happening. Def not that card.

also did anyone see the rumor about Zuffa buying OneFC?

That card listed just shows some preferred fights. Not expecting a card laid out to that magnitude but some examples of fights are listed.

I saw that rumor on the MiddleEasy rumor mill. Not sure if that will pan out or not.

I thought Inoki Bom Ba Ye's having Crocop vs Satoshi Ishii in MMA rules bout.

That's a rumor for an IGF NYE card with a few other fights probably sprinkled into a pro wrestling event.

Back