Japanese MMA NYE Mega Event Needs to Happen in 2013

CDF47

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Japan needs to continue the tradition of holding a major MMA event on New Year's Eve. NYE would not be the same without it. A live U.S. TV deal on AXS TV, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, or SpikeTV would be cool but a live Internet stream for $10 or $20 would be good as well.

It should be a DREAM event in the DREAM ring with DREAM production but the event should be held with full Asian rules to include soccer kicks, stomps, knees on the ground, and elbows (including the 12-6 elbow).

ONE FC should probably lead the way with this event and bring in fighters like Aoki and Bibi. They should also work with Pancrase, DEEP, ROAD FC, Shooto, and possibly GLORY like they have in the past to stack the card up. Some fights I would like to see are (just as an example of some fights that could be made):

Shinya Aoki (ONE FC Champion) vs. Naoyuki Kotani (ZST Champion/Shooto)
Isao Kobayashi (King of Pancrase) vs. Yui Chul Nam (ROAD FC Champion)
Andrei Arlovski vs. Mirko Cro Cop
Bibiano Fernandes (ONE FC Champion) vs. Shintaro Ishiwatari (King of Pancrase)
Sergei Kharitonv vs. Tony Johnson
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Doo Ho Choi

RVR vs. Kikuno
Alexey Oleinik vs. Aleks Emelianenko
Yoshiyuki Nakanishi vs. Luiz Cane
Roger Gracie vs. Tyrone Spong
Paul Buentello vs. Moise Rimbon
Maiquel Falcao vs. Kazuhiro Kakamura
Rousimar Palhares vs. Takenori Sato
"K-Taro" Nakamura vs. Nobutatsu Suzuki
Vuyisile Colossa vs. Satoru Kitaoka
Caol Uno vs. Hiroyuki Takaya
Koji Oishi (ONE FC Champion) vs. Kazunori Yokota (DEEP Champion)

Alternative Other Possible MMA Fights
Masakatsu Ueda vs. Daiki Hata "D.J. Taiki" (DEEP Champion)
Will Campuzano vs. BJ Kojima
Mikihito Yamagami (Shooto Champion) vs. Mitsuhisa Sunabe (King of Pancrase)

GLORY Kickboxing (Mixed in with the MMA Fights)
HW 4-Man Tournament
LHW 4-Man Tournament

Last edited:
Must be great living in Wonderland.

There have been great NYE shows in Japan for over 10 years every year, including last year. This year, someone needs to step up and put on a big show. I'm not saying all these fights will make it but many of them are possible. One of these organizations should try to make this happen, especially ONE FC who did nothing in 2013 like they promised. They should make up for that by delivering a great card here.

Last edited:
I'm sure there will be one somewhere. Now what level and how big, that's a whole other question.

I'm sure there will be one somewhere. Now what level and how big, that's a whole other question.

There have been annual super shows in Japan for over 20 years, including last year, someone needs to put one together this year. I hope they make it a big card but just haven't heard much about it yet. This time of year is around the time the rumors start coming out about it.

Inoki still has interests in NYE MMA I believe, they'll probably be the backers I imagine for a NYE event this year, unless OneFC wants to spend the money.

Still can't believe there's still no super UFC event for NYE here in the US, even after the FOX deal and everything.

Fuji/SkyPerfect seem to have no interest in MMA rite now, if anything they'll iPPV finally.

Japan needs to continue the tradition of holding a major MMA event on New Year's Eve. NYE would not be the same without it. A live U.S. TV deal on AXS TV, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, or SpikeTV would be cool but a live Internet stream for $10 or $20 would be good as well.

It should be a DREAM event in the DREAM ring with DREAM production but the event should be held with full Asian rules to include soccer kicks, stomps, knees on the ground, and elbows (including the 12-6 elbow).

ONE FC should probably lead the way with this event and bring in fighters like Aoki and Bibi. They should also work with Pancrase, DEEP, ROAD FC, Shooto, and possibly GLORY like they have in the past to stack the card up. Some fights I would like to see are:

Shinya Aoki (ONE FC Champion) vs. Naoyuki Kotani (ZST Champion/Shooto)
Isao Kobayashi (King of Pancrase) vs. Yui Chul Nam (ROAD FC Champion)
Andrei Arlovski vs. Mirko Cro Cop
Bibiano Fernandes (ONE FC Champion) vs. Shintaro Ishiwatari (King of Pancrase)
Sergei Kharitonv vs. Tony Johnson
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kazunori Yokota (DEEP Champion)

RVR vs. Kikuno
Alexey Oleinik vs. Aleks Emelianenko
Yoshiyuki Nakanishi vs. Luiz Cane
Roger Gracie vs. Tyrone Spong
Paul Buentello vs. Moise Rimbon
Maiquel Falcao vs. Kazuhiro Kakamura
Rousimar Palhares vs. Takenori Sato
"K-Taro" Nakamura vs. Nobutatsu Suzuki
Vuyisile Colossa vs. Satoru Kitaoka
Caol Uno vs. Hiroyuki Takaya
Koji Oishi (ONE FC Champion) vs. Doo Ho Choi

Alternative Other Possible MMA Fights
Masakatsu Ueda vs. Daiki Hata "D.J. Taiki" (DEEP Champion)
Will Campuzano vs. BJ Kojima
Mikihito Yamagami (Shooto Champion) vs. Mitsuhisa Sunabe (King of Pancrase)

GLORY Kickboxing (Mixed in with the MMA Fights)
HW 4-Man Tournament
LHW 4-Man Tournament

Not enough money this days in Japan to do something of this magnitude

Not happening. Def not that card.

also did anyone see the rumor about Zuffa buying OneFC?

I thought Inoki Bom Ba Ye's having Crocop vs Satoshi Ishii in MMA rules bout.

Still can't believe there's still no super UFC event for NYE here in the US, even after the FOX deal and everything.

Fuji/SkyPerfect seem to have no interest in MMA rite now, if anything they'll iPPV finally.

UFC 168.

Its not NYE but that wouldnt work in the US because thats a day people are out, not at home watching fights.

TS, if you think big NYE show in Japan is necessary, hold it for yourself.
Don't depend on others.

Not happening. Def not that card.

also did anyone see the rumor about Zuffa buying OneFC?

Middleeasy rumor? Why buy ONE FC when they can just make their way into the region themselves? Unless maybe they want to buy it just to get Shinya Aoki like they bought WFA for Rampage to appease Chuck's longing for a rematch w/Rampage.

that last all day event was a tid on the ridiculous side...aint nobody got time for dat!

Back