Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

otsukafan said:
I'm sorry that me and my students refuse to dishonor ourselves and our style by fighting for other peoples amusement, but I can assure you that if we ever did, we would leave a cage littered with tattooed thugs in our wake.

I fight for my own amusement :D

Jiu-Jitsu Cop said:
I think it depends on the fighter. I sounds like the person he fought just sucked. I would not put down a style based only on fighting that one person. I have easly submitted BJJ black belts and have been submitted by white belts. It would not be fair if I based all of BJJ on the times that I beat the black belts. He should go fight more of their students, hey at least it would be a great workout.

I dont want this guy getting away with saying he has "easily submitted BJJ black belts". We cant let this one go guys.

Iceman5592 said:
Of course BJJ is going to beat TJJ.

TJJ lost miserably to the Kodokan in the 1800s. Kano paved the way for eliminating the deadlier techniques and focusing on "safe" techniques (that can still break your arms, legs, neck, and strangle you) that can be used in sparring. He realized it was more important to develop the skills needed in live sparring rather than to know thousands of ways to hurt somebody.

That's why Judo whipped the pants off of the TJJ practicioners. And hey, evolution of the art, BJJ evolved from Judo.

Exactly, TJJ sucked, Kosen Judo or "Jujutsu" is what BJJ should be compared to. It focuses solely on pins, submissions, and guards, and was the style Maeda taught to the Gracies. The closed guard, half guard, and triangle were actually techniques developed in Kosen Judo. Wait, why is this noob trying to act all smart. :wink:

Rico11643 said:
I dont want this guy getting away with saying he has "easily submitted BJJ black belts". We cant let this one go guys.

He has also been smashed by white belts though, what an enigma....

Jiu-Jitsu Cop said:
I have easly submitted BJJ black belts..............

I'm sorry....I should pay my respects.........I didn't know Rickson Gracie posted here

Rico11643 said:
may be he means Bad Jiu Jitsu black belts.
haha
now that was lame

Jiu-Jitsu Cop said:
I think it depends on the fighter. I sounds like the person he fought just sucked. I would not put down a style based only on fighting that one person. I have easly submitted BJJ black belts and have been submitted by white belts. It would not be fair if I based all of BJJ on the times that I beat the black belts. He should go fight more of their students, hey at least it would be a great workout.

Ok, what style do you train and who where the black belts you subbed and where? because frankly I call bullshit.

I want to know where to train for Snack Boxing. It sounds delicious!

I practice Japanese Jiu-Jitsu and rolled with a couple of BJJ guys the other day. I have only been training for 6 months and the other guys have been training for two years. They did a few things very well, but others (like defending kneebars) they had no idea how to execute. BJJ is not very much different from Japanese Jiu-Jitsu. It all depends on the fighter's skill level. It's like saying Iranian wrestlers are better than Russian wrestlers. They do things differently, but the elite skill is still there.

Actually all the grondfighting techniques of Judo came from Fusen-ryu jujitsu.

miked171 said:
I practice Japanese Jiu-Jitsu and rolled with a couple of BJJ guys the other day. I have only been training for 6 months and the other guys have been training for two years. They did a few things very well, but others (like defending kneebars) they had no idea how to execute. BJJ is not very much different from Japanese Jiu-Jitsu. It all depends on the fighter's skill level. It's like saying Iranian wrestlers are better than Russian wrestlers. They do things differently, but the elite skill is still there.

2 years of BJJ and did not know how to defend a knee bar......hmmmm................

.....I'm just really curious to see how many of the posters here actually train the way they claim to

While one would not necessarily have to be a black belt or even a bjj practitioner to submit a bjj black belt, one would have to be extremely skilled to do so "easily". There are other grappling arts out there.

physicaltherapy said:
2 years of BJJ and did not know how to defend a knee bar......hmmmm................

Exactly what I was thinking

Waxwingslain said:
While one would not necessarily have to be a black belt or even a bjj practitioner to submit a bjj black belt, one would have to be extremely skilled to do so "easily". There are other grappling arts out there.

I know there are other grappling arts out there but BJJ blackbelts are ELITE!!!!!!!

If you can submit a BJJ black belt....you are ELITE!!!

I think it's safe to say that there are less than 75 legit American BJJ Blackbelts, definitely less than 100.

It takes approx. 10 years to get your BB in BJJ and a heavy emphasis on competition if you want to reach that level.

So yes...I'll go out on a fucking limb and say it. BJJ black Belts are ELITE. You don't tap these guys out by accident.

p.s. I have rolled with a BJJ blackbelt. His name is Mike Moses from MD. He is phenominal. We weighed about the same and he tapped me 50 katrillion ways to Sunday without breaking a sweat, while doing his taxes. It was like rolling with a ghost. He made you react to put yourself in a bad position. No brute strength...all technique. Hey I'm not bragging here but I'm no pushover when it comes to beginners - 4th place beginner 2004 grapplers quest world champoionships, 1st place for gi and nogi NE grappling challenge. But Jesus...this guy is on a different plane of existance. Even now as a 4 stripe blue belt...I consider myself IMHO a beginner after rolling with that guy. ( I do compete intemediate now for all you fuckers who think I sandbag :D )

physicaltherapy said:
I think it's safe to say that there are less than 75 legit American BJJ Blackbelts, definitely less than 100.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I dont think that this number is correct at all. JJ Machado has promoted over 10 BB's in his California academy and I imagine the Gracie's have promoted similar ammounts who are each definitely legit. It is definitely a small number though, but more than 100 :wink:

lol@ every dork who takes on one "fighter" of any style then makes a thread about how crappy that style is based on the assessments of one match, a match in which they always dominate every aspect of a fighter who despite that they got dominated, is still a fighter who doesn't suck. Brilliant.

Back