1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Jimmy Cerra, Jan 18, 2006.

1. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

I fight for my own amusement :D

2. Rico11643 JoeSonDo White Belt. Ima bad MF for reals.

I dont want this guy getting away with saying he has "easily submitted BJJ black belts". We cant let this one go guys.

3. Dave661 White Belt

Exactly, TJJ sucked, Kosen Judo or "Jujutsu" is what BJJ should be compared to. It focuses solely on pins, submissions, and guards, and was the style Maeda taught to the Gracies. The closed guard, half guard, and triangle were actually techniques developed in Kosen Judo. Wait, why is this noob trying to act all smart. :wink:

4. swiftman White Belt

He has also been smashed by white belts though, what an enigma....

5. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

I'm sorry....I should pay my respects.........I didn't know Rickson Gracie posted here

6. ClubberLange Green Belt

may be he means Bad Jiu Jitsu black belts.
    haha
    now that was lame

7. Reakt Green Belt

lol tibetan snake boxing

8. Terrier Brown Belt

Ok, what style do you train and who where the black belts you subbed and where? because frankly I call bullshit.

9. mmagic Yellow Belt

I want to know where to train for Snack Boxing. It sounds delicious!

10. miked171 White Belt

I practice Japanese Jiu-Jitsu and rolled with a couple of BJJ guys the other day. I have only been training for 6 months and the other guys have been training for two years. They did a few things very well, but others (like defending kneebars) they had no idea how to execute. BJJ is not very much different from Japanese Jiu-Jitsu. It all depends on the fighter's skill level. It's like saying Iranian wrestlers are better than Russian wrestlers. They do things differently, but the elite skill is still there.

11. Sohei Its just a flu bro!

Actually all the grondfighting techniques of Judo came from Fusen-ryu jujitsu.

12. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

2 years of BJJ and did not know how to defend a knee bar......hmmmm................

13. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

.....I'm just really curious to see how many of the posters here actually train the way they claim to

14. Waxwingslain oiseau rebelle

While one would not necessarily have to be a black belt or even a bjj practitioner to submit a bjj black belt, one would have to be extremely skilled to do so "easily". There are other grappling arts out there.

15. Terrier Brown Belt

Exactly what I was thinking

16. genkisudo69 Brown Belt

tjj is not very effective. doesn

17. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

I know there are other grappling arts out there but BJJ blackbelts are ELITE!!!!!!!

If you can submit a BJJ black belt....you are ELITE!!!

I think it's safe to say that there are less than 75 legit American BJJ Blackbelts, definitely less than 100.

It takes approx. 10 years to get your BB in BJJ and a heavy emphasis on competition if you want to reach that level.

So yes...I'll go out on a fucking limb and say it. BJJ black Belts are ELITE. You don't tap these guys out by accident.

p.s. I have rolled with a BJJ blackbelt. His name is Mike Moses from MD. He is phenominal. We weighed about the same and he tapped me 50 katrillion ways to Sunday without breaking a sweat, while doing his taxes. It was like rolling with a ghost. He made you react to put yourself in a bad position. No brute strength...all technique. Hey I'm not bragging here but I'm no pushover when it comes to beginners - 4th place beginner 2004 grapplers quest world champoionships, 1st place for gi and nogi NE grappling challenge. But Jesus...this guy is on a different plane of existance. Even now as a 4 stripe blue belt...I consider myself IMHO a beginner after rolling with that guy. ( I do compete intemediate now for all you fuckers who think I sandbag :D )

18. ARIS Brown Belt

Pressure points??? LOLLOLLOL

19. n1k Yellow Belt

I agree with the rest of your post, but I dont think that this number is correct at all. JJ Machado has promoted over 10 BB's in his California academy and I imagine the Gracie's have promoted similar ammounts who are each definitely legit. It is definitely a small number though, but more than 100 :wink:

20. Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

[email protected] every dork who takes on one "fighter" of any style then makes a thread about how crappy that style is based on the assessments of one match, a match in which they always dominate every aspect of a fighter who despite that they got dominated, is still a fighter who doesn't suck. Brilliant.