1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Jimmy Cerra, Jan 18, 2006.

1. triggertap79 Green Belt

2. colinm Brown Belt

what a fuck, it looks like i've been had

3. otsukafan Purple Belt

4. Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

I can't comment about Tibetan Snake Boxing, but don't knock BJJ. Kimuras, heel hooks, wrist locks, and other moves certainly can break bones or tear ligaments if you continue to apply the lock though your entire range of motion.

Also usually when someone trys a non-trivial pressure point attack against me it leave them open to attack. I can defend their pressure point stuff with ease too. Maybe they didn't use pressure points correctly as you indicated.

P.S. I don't think the guy I fought sucked - even though I don't think his grappling skills are better than mine (now: after testing him) - and I still have a lot of respect for the brownie. Hopefully we can learn from each other.

5. otsukafan Purple Belt

Frodo,

You are very close minded for a martial artist...Snake Boxing does not make use of submission holds like other ground fighting methods. It prefers to attack and disable the opponent through breaking joints, disabling muscles and tendons or paralyzing with knockout blows to pressure points.

6. ClubberLange Green Belt

haha. I wanna be able to disable muscles.
    I'm changing styles.
    This snake boxing sounds hardcore.
    Pity it's too deadly for MMA.
    When those guys spar, they can't control themselves. So they don't spar, or they'd all be dead.

7. Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

Why am I closed minded? I never commented on Snake Boxing. You were not observant! Rather than insulting me please try to reciprocate the respect I showed you as a martial artist.

I am not closed minded, because for example, I do not deny Snake Boxing has those qualities nor do I assert BJJ is better than Snake Boxing. Being closed minded would be asserting that only BJJ moves work and the attitude of looking down on everything else. That is not part of my philosophy. Right now, I feel one should learn from other martial arts and incorporate what works best into one's own individual system.

I don't see how the qualities of Snack Boxing you asserted are that different from BJJ + Muay Thai. In a real fight, BJJ moves can also help you break joints and disable muscles and tendons. Muay Thai and boxing (and BJJ too to a certain extent) also help you KTFO people by targeting specific points in one's anatomy.

8. otsukafan Purple Belt

I'm sorry that me and my students refuse to dishonor ourselves and our style by fighting for other peoples amusement, but I can assure you that if we ever did, we would leave a cage littered with tattooed thugs in our wake.

9. Shaldag Orange Belt

10. Balto Silver Belt

Ah, Tibetan Snake Boxing. The deadliest grappling art of the ancient world.

11. Eric O Amateur Fighter

I'll put down a style. TJJ and JJJ sucks compared to modern MMA. The only difference between teh Ghey Karate and JJJ is that JJJ has make believe submissions that only work on willing participants.

I know you're lying about tapping out BJJ black belts and then being subbed by a white belt.

12. Joey Guidice Green Belt Professional Fighter

Originally posted by Frodo - I don't see how the qualities of Snack Boxing you asserted are that different from BJJ + Muay Thai.

Well you see snack boxing involves holding sugar filled treats in your hands (honey buns, yodels, twinkies etc) and while simultaneously stuffing your face you mezmorize your opponent into a food coma rendering him helpless!!!

Just kidding i know it was a typo but i couldn't resist!

13. colinm Brown Belt

*anxiously waiting for someone to take the troll bait*

14. Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

Of course BJJ is going to beat TJJ.

TJJ lost miserably to the Kodokan in the 1800s. Kano paved the way for eliminating the deadlier techniques and focusing on "safe" techniques (that can still break your arms, legs, neck, and strangle you) that can be used in sparring. He realized it was more important to develop the skills needed in live sparring rather than to know thousands of ways to hurt somebody.

That's why Judo whipped the pants off of the TJJ practicioners. And hey, evolution of the art, BJJ evolved from Judo.

15. Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

rotflol @ snack boxing!

16. snigg Guest

jimmy you're feeding the troll. tibetan snake boxing, LOL

17. buttski White Belt

have any of you guys checked out that cztema russian martial art.... it's way out there

18. mmagic Yellow Belt

Hahaha, nice. Personally I prefer Eagle-jitsu where practitioners utilize rocketpacks to fly above their enemies and swoop down and use their grown out finger- and toe-nails to attempt to gash their skulls.

19. swiftman White Belt

20. physicaltherapy Blue Belt

From what I've seen JJJ fucking sucks........I did that shit for 2 years and it was the biggest waste of 2 years....I should've put that time into BJJ. I've been doing BJJ for 2 1/2 years and I school guys who are lot bigger than me....effortlessly.

And don't give me this bullshit about pressure points.....you mean "dig thumb into the neck/eyeball/temple"......I can do the same thing....from mount. I''ll bite your ass too. Then I'll pound your face into hamburger BITCH!!!