Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

they train McDojo karate... in the video the champion of all-time the full contact Karate says that he had been wrong all along and their is a higher training to Karate beyond the ring.

well, thats what one person thinks, how about the whole rest? the all time full contact karate aint got shit on all time k1 kickboxers... whos this all time karate full contact dude? so I can google it...

The problem is, MMA is a sport, not a street fight....

you train bjj? where do you train at? whats your belt? whats your lineage?

you train with pro mma fighters? do you think you can take them in a street fight?

no, YOUR problem is that MMA/BJJ is a sport, don't confuse your problem with my problem, that's not my problem because I train "not to fight", you can't make your problem into my problem, you'll need to deal with your problems yourself.

>you train bjj? where do you train at? whats your belt? whats your lineage?
you sound like a 4 year old, are you going to say "your dad is bigger than my dad next?"

You are clearly at a low level of moral self development and this is why a real grand master would never teach you the real techniques. In traditional jiujitsu they have the techniques they show to their students, then they have the REAL techniques that they only show to the lineage holder who will carry the art to the next generation, just because you are a student doesnt mean you were taught the real deal.

well, thats what one person thinks, how about the whole rest? the all time full contact karate aint got shit on all time k1 kickboxers... whos this all time karate full contact dude? so I can google it...

could refrain from using profanities? you sound like a street thug.

his name is in the video i posted about karate, maybe you should actually read the whole forum posting and watch the videos before you make uninformed responses...

since you might be new to the thread, even the gracies themselves admit that RING FIGHTING has NO USE/NO APPLICATION on the street. there are no gloves or padded floors or referees on the street. Here I'll take it to your level: only pussies need a referee or a padded floor or gloves or rules. I think you understand that.

no, YOUR problem is that MMA/BJJ is a sport, don't confuse your problem with my problem, that's not my problem because I train "not to fight", you can't make your problem into my problem, you'll need to deal with your problems yourself.

>you train bjj? where do you train at? whats your belt? whats your lineage?
you sound like a 4 year old, are you going to say "your dad is bigger than my dad next?"

You are clearly at a low level of moral self development and this is why a real grand master would never teach you the real techniques. In traditional jiujitsu they have the techniques they show to their students, then they have the REAL techniques that they only show to the lineage holder who will carry the art to the next generation, just because you are a student doesnt mean you were taught the real deal.

in the grappling forum, we normally distinc bullshitters like yourself, from guys who train for real, normally, we ahve absolutely no problem posting who we train under, unless of course you are full of shit, like yourself.

you train not to fight, then explain something to me, whos better at training not to fight, a maraton runner or you? why on fucking earth are you wasting your time doing the deadly lethal art you do, if you are never ever going to fight... usain bolt will beat the fuck out of you at your specialty, training not to fight.

could refrain from using profanities? you sound like a street thug.

his name is in the video i posted about karate, maybe you should actually read the whole forum posting and watch the videos before you make uninformed responses...

since you might be new to the thread, even the gracies themselves admit that RING FIGHTING has NO USE/NO APPLICATION on the street. there are no gloves or padded floors or referees on the street. Here I'll take it to your level: only pussies need a referee or a padded floor or gloves or rules. I think you understand that.

sport bjj is sport bjj, it still much more useful than the deadly stuff you do, but is not gjj, and I think its wrong that in most sport places gjj isnt being taught anymore. Im not new to the thread, Ive followed the whole thing...

my level is pretty ok, I do bjj because I enjoy the sport, but unlike you who train not to fight, dont dream im some kind of deadly human weapon, you live in lalaland, pretty simple, now go enjoy your docs, dragon ball, karate kid, you cleary havent gone past the karate kid stage of your life.

you realize that you are kind of off topic, the topic is about BJJ vs JJJ... I've already proved that to make BJJ effective it essentially turns into JJJ, even the Gracies admit this in video testimonial.

The karate guy, won the all japan karate tournament 5 times, which is an all time record, watch:
http://youtu.be/BLibKL7OzDY?t=6m5s
he says that the true karate is not in ring fighting, but in the kata

sport bjj is sport bjj, it still much more useful than the deadly stuff you do, but is not gjj, and I think its wrong that in most sport places gjj isnt being taught anymore. Im not new to the thread, Ive followed the whole thing...

my level is pretty ok, I do bjj because I enjoy the sport, but unlike you who train not to fight, dont dream im some kind of deadly human weapon, you live in lalaland, pretty simple, now go enjoy your docs, dragon ball, karate kid, you cleary havent gone past the karate kid stage of your life.

remember I train BJJ too, but just for fun, not for sport because why would i want to risk hurting my friends? (btw BJJ was invented by the Gracie's from what they learned from a Japanese Judo fighter combined with some little tweaks they made from their own fighting experiences) so saying BJJ is not GJJ is kind of stupid. derrrr may I say retarded, and a really weak, and off topic argument.

and I'm not talking about myself, or my ability, a gun is the most deadly martial art I know, or a poison needle used by the CIA, how are you going to defend those with your k1/UFC gloves? how's that for a true blast of ridiculous but realistic logic along your lines of "deadly"... I'm not talking about deadly or that I even study Karate or that I'm going to take you on in the back allie. Remember I'm here to talk not fight. If I wanted to lower myself to the level of a fighter I would join my friends who fight professionally around the world and who also are some of the biggest names in UFC and MMA/BJJ. Heck it might be fun. I might be my ass kicked, but at the end of the day it's just for fun, and it's not a deadly martial art (I never said the word deadly, that was you who brought that into the topic) and it's not an effective street martial art.

Look at it this way. One of the most well respected martial arts for modern street self defense is krav maga. If you were experienced enough you would see that it is 99.9% Japanese Jiu Jitsu (if not 100% but they didn't have machine guns in the samurai days).

Another way to look at it is that BJJ is the great great grandson of JuJutsu.

Jujutsu (/dʒuːˈdʒʌtsuː/; Japanese: 柔術, jūjutsu About this sound listen (help

I absolutely agree with matthew72.

BJJ, MMA, UFC are not martial arts. It is just barbaric senseless fighting and combat.

You people don't understand the true essence of martial power. It is beyond your man hugging and roiding. When you cultivate your spirit and body and mind into one, you have achieved The Highest Level and none of you closed minded Westerners would understand.

There is no victory in fighting. These so called "martial arts" that are all about fighting and beating up another person completely miss the point. True martial artist can achieve victory without lifting a finger.

Then what is the reason that I won't leave behind all the fighting, to join a martial art and learn the martial spirit?

I have been doing BJJ too long, almost 10 years now, and I can't deal with the honest truth that that all I have learned is combat. It is a shame. I wish I could learn martial power. Like these guys:

Or this guy:

I absolutely agree with matthew72.

BJJ, MMA, UFC are not martial arts. It is just barbaric senseless fighting and combat.

You people don't understand the true essence of martial power. It is beyond your man hugging and roiding. When you cultivate your spirit and body and mind into one, you have achieved The Highest Level and none of you closed minded Westerners would understand.

There is no victory in fighting. These so called "martial arts" that are all about fighting and beating up another person completely miss the point. True martial artist can achieve victory without lifting a finger.

Then what is the reason that I won't leave behind all the fighting, to join a martial art and learn the martial spirit?

I have been doing BJJ too long, almost 10 years now, and I can't deal with the honest truth that that all I have learned is combat. It is a shame. I wish I could learn martial power. Like these guys:

Or this guy:

Funny (not), you're not going to see many if any grandmasters on a Youtube video. I posted the only grand-master who got in the ring to fight a MMA champion. He was 60 years old and legitimately beat a 26(or so) year old MMA champion in a match viewed by thousands. This is the only video of its kind that I've ever seen.

Also BJJ is not combat, its the equivolent of two wet noodles fighting or using two swords made out of silly putty. Even the Gracies agree that BJJ is not street applicable.

You see, the martial skill and power you all seek is not going to be found in the UFC, MMA ring, or at your local TaiKwando Plus or Gracie Barra McDojo. Real martial art power (other than a gun) is a well kept secret, even in the modern age.

Ninjas. Mountains. Shaolin temples. Hacky 80s movie cliches, this is what martial arts is all about. There's no actual fighting involved in 'martial' arts at all. This guy knows everything.

I've never met the guys in the video but I trained for years (in person) with a multi-world champion in BJJ.

But do you really think you comment is worth the digital ink it is printed in? I mean it has nothing to do with the topic, and it's clear I've proved my point, even the Gracies agree that BJJ is useless as a street martial art for fighting in the street and you need to learn the "street" BJJ which, what do you know, looks exactly like Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

So what do you have when you learn how to fight in the street with BJJ? You have JAPANESE JIU JITSU. (which originated 2,000 years before BJJ)

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltBSoh6wuwU

Technique shown is waki-gatame(Rokkyo) from Japanese Jiu Jitsu, except the BJJ guy in the video executed it wrong and that's why the guy escaped.

Here's the correct way to do the Waki-Gatame: http://youtu.be/oaLsRR8rQe4

If you research the comparisons between BJJ and JJJ you'll probably find that BJJ is a new name to an old system combined with super "hype" and aggressive marketing (using the UFC as the springboard) and now some of the Gracies are marketing it even further by saying you need to also learn "street" BJJ in addition to sport BJJ (which makes sense) but what you are really learning with the street BJJ is Japanese Jiu Jitsu disguised under a different name with a $200/m pricetag.

Read-up my friends!

But they are selling their own GJJ.

of course, they are not going to endorse sport BJJ like IBJJF.

But wait, who ownes the IBJJF? Another Gracie!

Actually I find it interesting that you mentioned that BJJ is just JJJ under a new name.

So if I join a JJJ, I would learn the real BJJ.

Interesting.

That video that shows the proper techniques.

Are they Ninjas?

Funny (not), you're not going to see many if any grandmasters on a Youtube video. I posted the only grand-master who got in the ring to fight a MMA champion. He was 60 years old and legitimately beat a 26(or so) year old MMA champion in a match viewed by thousands. This is the only video of its kind that I've ever seen.

Are you serious? Because if you are referring to this video you posted before:

http://youtu.be/XQcrOm6ATzM

That in no way shows what you are talking about. The guy was a practitioner of Liow (Wrestling) not a MMA champion, and he certainly wasn't 26. You can see from the still images at the beginning he was not that much younger than the "grand-master". I'm not going to even get into the fact that both of the techniques looked god fucking awful.

The kata is a way to develop muscle memory, nothing more. It's the same as drilling in BJJ. "Real karate" may lay in the kata but real fighting does not.

Last edited:
Funny this popped up, took my kid to a wrestling tournament and was talking to a father of one the kids from the club and he was a JJJ guy......... Apparently they toss there opponent and the attacks happen in the air from both guys. ;)

Oh and the OP in this thread is hilarious! "Oh I'm a lowly white belt with one strip but I was chaining my subs off of wrist locks to set up my attacks".

WTF was that? Two old, fat, out of shape guys engaging in a shoving match? It looked like bad professional wrestling done in slow motion.

That's what matthew72 thinks a "grand master" vs a MMA champion looks like it would seem.

No dude Matthew's martial arts fights look like this:

That is if he would use the true, super secret techniques that only the true masters know.

Damn son. These traditional martial artists always confuse the hell out of me with their delusions. You would think they would know better by now, its almost like a cult.

Seriously did you learn your stuff from Steven Segal? Sound just like him

No dude Matthew's martial arts fights look like this:

That is if he would use the true, super secret techniques that only the true masters know.

damn! who would have thought that alternating low kicks and high kicks while standing in place was the proper way to defeat Shao Kahn?

okay, i'm mostly a karate guy but our dojo does jujitsu as well
you sign up for ju jitsu you get to do both JJJ and BJJ, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, JJJ, other days BJJ
they go well together.

JJJ is not designed to beat trained grapplers on the ground, its designed to quickly make untrained people submit to you. It's like a lot of programming, you learn which reaction to make to certain grabs and throws and holds. A lot of it is applicable to grappling, but JJJ would never preach to get into guard or to even get on the ground, always you should be on your feet.

Really they are complimentary. BJJ teaches you to grapple on the ground, JJJ from what I've seen teaches you to quickly react to different aggressive actions on the feet.

It is a good martial art for police and security to do, people that need to restrain people quickly.

Back