Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I don't think it's humiliating to go 3 minutes with a prime Leo Viera.

Is it just me or have the TMA nutjobs really been coming out of the woodwork lately? Like more so than usual.

Not sure if this is American jujutsu or Japanese jujutsu.. ?

I currently train in Judo and BJJ but I have done JJJ. It comes down to how you train. Most JJJ schools don't roll. Mine did and someone that goes through a program like that know more than the average Joe about grappling but will get crushed by someone that rolls every training session. I'd say most JJJ black belts have at most 4 stripe white skills BJJ wise.

I have about a year of no-gi training. I also have a year of JJJ.

A BJJ guy will kick a JJJ guy's ass in a fight.

However, JJJ has a lot of useful stuff for law enforcement and security. It's good for that, and that's why I trained in it. All the wrist locks, restraints, and pressure points do you no good in a fight. They do wonders when trying to arrest a guy who doesn't want to get arrested.

JJJ has it's place. But, nobody is going to get a black belt in any JJJ style and step into the ring and have success.

I currently train in Judo and BJJ but I have done JJJ. It comes down to how you train. Most JJJ schools don't roll. Mine did and someone that goes through a program like that know more than the average Joe about grappling but will get crushed by someone that rolls every training session. I'd say most JJJ black belts have at most 4 stripe white skills BJJ wise.

This is a gross overstatement. You have to remember that JJJ black belt is a pretty broad term. There's some new JJJ black belts that might only have 4 years on the mats, but then theres others with 25 years on the mats. Also some schools train harder and more realistic than others. I would say you're right about most of the newer lower degree black belts, but the higher degree black belts often roll more like blue belts, and some of them roll like strong experienced blue belts.

Wiz Cool C's thread is locked. We need Matthew72 back now, I miss the lulz.

Man, what an entertaining thread.... Things change in 8 years, but man.... I was such a white belt lol!

A lot of the moves taught in JJJ are the same as bjj/judo. The only difference seems to be the training methods and emphasis on small joint manipulation. A JJJ school that does a lot of real sparring I would take seriously but that is it.

Wiz Cool C's thread is locked. We need Matthew72 back now, I miss the lulz.

Hey guys. This is a video of some of the Gracie family saying that what most people learn in BJJ is "USELESS" on the street... "COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" .... "YOURE DELUSIONAL" ... "NO APPLICABILITY IN A STREET FIGHT"...

http://youtu.be/e864iZ4sB8Q

It's a video that explains why a BJJ purple belt got his face beat during a bar fight.

I can vouch for this. I've been training BJJ for years and I'm at the blue belt level but we've NEVER trained street techniques, other than just sometimes they mention "on the street don't do this"... we NEVER train how to defend on in a real fight... and my teacher is a multi-world champion BJJ professor. Most people do not have the cross training in other martial arts at a high level to realize the wrong positions that you will get into using main stream sport BJJ in a fight (just like Uriah Faber got his ass handed to him by some street thugs)...

Here's another video of another Gracie BJJ fighter getting his ass kicked because by now people have learned how to deal with the BJJ ground game... This is the way that BJJ is going... no longer does BJJ dominate in the ring because everyone knows the ground game that originated with Judo.

http://youtu.be/899lucj3KvE

The commenters on this video say things like:

"Shows how terrible ju jitsu artists are when dealing with strikes"

"Brazilian bitch. I fucking loved it. Kicked the fuck out of him like he was a bitch curled up in the fetal position. Gave me a fucking hard on. He complained about them stopping the fight. He shoulda broke his goddamn arm. Brazilian bitch."

The thing is that Japanese Jiu-Jitsu focuses on the street applicable techniques from day one, with the 1st one being proper distance. Even in Judo, they go for the big hip throw because they assumed that a guy was carrying a knife and as soon as you throw him and get the top position that he's going to be dead.

Most top martial artists who "arent trying to push the BJJ agenda" realize that the ground=dead, don't go to the ground unless you want your head kicked off your body like a football for a field goal.

BJJ has only been around for less than a century, while JJJ has been around for thousands of years... Think about which one is more battle/fight tested. Think about it. 90 years vs 2000 years. It shouldn't take you long to realize the truth.

I'm just trying to help you guys realize the truth so you don't get fooled by all the BJJ bullshido and commercial advertising.

Even the gracies admit that sport BJJ has "NO APPLICABILITY IN A STREET FIGHT" (that is a direct quote)

Sorry BJJ fans it's just the truth.

Last edited:
aren't they the same guys that will grade you via a video recording of yourself?

when I read anything posted by matthew72:
giphy.gif

aren't they the same guys that will grade you via a video recording of yourself?

let me guess? you are a Gracie? you have a better BJJ reputation? or you just have a good technique of short one-liners for forum posts? lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rener_Gracie
Rener received his black belt in 2002 from Grand Master Helio Gracie.[3] He competed in the 2003 Pan American Jiu-Jitsu Championship and submitted three-time BJJ World Champion, Fabio Leopoldo with a triangle choke. Later that year, Rener participated in the first Southern California Pro-Am Invitational, a 16-man single elimination tournament with no time limits. Rener was the only one of 16 competitors to wear a gi. He won first place submitting all four of his opponents. His opponents were Joe Stevenson (UFC Fighter), Cassio Werneck (BJJ World Champion), Jason "Mayhem" Miller (UFC Fighter), and Tyrone Glover.[4] In 2004, Rener retired from point-based sport jiu-jitsu competition to focus the street self-defense aspect of jiu-jitsu.

In the video he explains how ALL THE GRACIES know that BJJ is for sport but "street" BJJ is totally different, he goes on to say that its more different than ping-pong and bowling and that if you think because you trained BJJ and you are street ready that you are DELUSIONAL... he continues to say that if you arent being taught by a Gracie who teaches street BJJ then you aren't learning how to defend yourself on the street... he said "you might find out too late"... "that what you are learning, doesn't transfer to street fighting"... he then continues to re-affirm exactly what I said which is that ma-ai (proper distance) is the major difference. (i.e. never get to close to a guy with a knife, etc.)

Last edited:
So what is your angle then?
You are endorsing that getting your blue belt online is the way to go!

Back