Japanese jujitsu and the UFC...

It is insane how the bjj people shit on jj!
First thing on Google!

"Traditional Japanese Jujitsu is practically useless in an actual fight. People just give it a lot of respect because it has the word "jujitsu" in it and Judo/BJJ gets its lineage from it. It's the training methodology more than the techniques that make Judo/BJJ superior. and Judo/BJJ gets its lineage from it."

What the fuck is that on a first page google? Send out Sakuraba again! Slaughter them all! The bjj trademarkers are disgusting and everyone is beating up slimy Gracies left and right! BJJ as a trademark needs to die. What the fuck did bbj ever do to jj?

Last edited:
I think Oleynik is a Japanese JJ guy originally

It is insane how the bjj people shit on jj!

Traditional Japanese Jujitsu is practically useless in an actual fight. People just give it a lot of respect because it has the word "jujitsu" in it and Judo/BJJ gets its lineage from it. It's the training methodology more than the techniques that make Judo/BJJ superior. and Judo/BJJ gets its lineage from it.

What the fuck is that on a first page google? Send out Sakuraba again! Slaughter them all! The bjj trademarkers are disgusting and everyone is beating up slimy Gracies left and right! BJJ as a trademark needs to die. What the fuck did bbj ever do to jj?
So apparently JJJ is mostly geared towards learning self-defense techniques rather than sports competition.

If by actual fight you mean a street fight, why would a system of self-defense techniques be practically useless?

If you meant to say BJJ is practically useless in a real fight, though, I think Ryan Hall and Polyana Viana would beg to differ

Mir’s armlock on Petey Williams was a JJ technique.

Jon Jones shoulder wrench he did to Glover was the same JJ technique Mir used, only standing.

Source, I trained Japanese Jiu Jitsu for about 8 months. Favourite technique I learned was a wrist lock takedown, followed by stomping on the guys head, and then armbarring him when he’s concussed from the head stomp.

So apparently JJJ is mostly geared towards learning self-defense techniques rather than sports competition.

If by actual fight you mean a street fight, why would a system of self-defense techniques be practically useless?

If you meant to say BJJ is practically useless in a real fight, though, I think Ryan Hall and Polyana Viana would beg to differ
Sorry! I made it confusing getting into a drunken rage. What you read was what google tells you if you search for jj instead of bjj. It is all bullshit!

Alexey Oleynik is a Black Belt in it, and has 46 Submissions on his record...so he must have learnt a thing or two

46 ezekiel choke victories. 32 of those were from the bottom.

Japanese Jujitsu is taught everywhere. Before BJJ became popular it was just called Jujitsu(or Jiu-jitsu)
And the practitioners always suck.
The ig posts with the Japanese names for moves look pretentious too.

a lot of the ones that say they're meant for the street basically means that they aren't regularly tested in actual competition since people aren't getting in street fights regularly(and likely wouldn't be fighting trained competition)

I trained both JJJ and BJJ when I was younger. I think JJJ is better geared for a street fight, but BJJ is much more refined on the ground with a greater emphasis on blood chokes. JJJ had more strangles, and is pretty similar to judo, where the moves come with a greater risk. Much better takes down in JJJ, as it was the fore bearer to Judo.

Japanese Jiu Jitsu is mostly a McDojo art. Now I’m sure that someone who’s never trained before will come out and tell me they know some guy and it’s effective but there’s a reason why fighters largely aren’t training it.
The reason is that it's not a combat sport, it's a martial art, and UFC fighters are training for a combat sport.

Japanese Jiu Jitsu is mostly a McDojo art. Now I’m sure that someone who’s never trained before will come out and tell me they know some guy and it’s effective but there’s a reason why fighters largely aren’t training it.
I trained in it in the 70s, and have used it to great effect in real life situations. The techniques and philosophy don't really fit well with organized MMA. One of the things I learned that has stay with me even though I'm getting too old to fight, is strategy. My sensei earned his title/belts in Japan, no McDojo.

Reactions: mkt
I trained in it in the 70s, and have used it to great effect in real life situations. The techniques and philosophy don't really fit well with organized MMA. One of the things I learned that has stay with me even though I'm getting too old to fight, is strategy. My sensei earned his title/belts in Japan, no McDojo.

Jujitsu is legit and one art I like is Tang Soo Do. Jujitsu has many styles just like how BJJ has the gracie style or the 10th planet variation. So do the Japanese. Some are weapon based.

Japanese Jujitsu is taught everywhere. Before BJJ became popular it was just called Jujitsu(or Jiu-jitsu)

Right, but it wasn't tailored for vale tudo, cage fights or whatever you want to call them. Look at the early Japanese fighting orgs like Shooto, Pancrase, etc. The Japanese fighters mostly came out of pro wrestling and had more of a catch wrestling style. Some had judo backgrounds, but judo is more geared for sport and wasn't complete. JJJ is the basis for BJJ but it wasn't optimized for a combat sport with minimal rules.

Doesnt JJJ have eye gouges and like small joint manipulation in it? And other dirty shit? It's meant as a self defense like unarmed combat vs a soldier at war to the death kinda thing.

Alexey Oleynik is a Black Belt in it, and has 46 Submissions on his record...so he must have learnt a thing or two
I wonder if there was a different style of JJJ taught in Russia/Ukraine...one more blended with sambo and better suited to MMA? Oleg Taktarov also studied JJ along with judo/sambo. No one in the U.S. from a JJJ background had the submission skills that Oleg or Oleynik were demonstrating in the 1990s.

Back