Japanese centenarians tend to eat more animal products.

stylesbjj**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"The present paper examines the relationship of nutritional status to further life expectancy and health status in the Japanese elderly based on 3 epidemiological studies. 1. Nutrient intakes in 94 Japanese centenarians investigated between 1972 and 1973 showed a higher proportion of animal protein to total proteins than in contemporary average Japanese. 2. High intakes of milk and fats and oils had favorable effects on 10-year (1976-1986) survivorship in 422 urban residents aged 69-71. The survivors revealed a longitudinal increase in intakes of animal foods such as eggs, milk, fish and meat over the 10 years. 3. Nutrient intakes were compared, based on 24-hour dietary records, between a sample from Okinawa Prefecture where life expectancies at birth and 65 were the longest in Japan, and a sample from Akita Prefecture where the life expectancies were much shorter. Intakes of Ca, Fe, vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and the proportion of energy from proteins and fats were significantly higher in the former than in the latter. Intakes of carbohydrates and NaCl were lower."

Nutrition for the Japanese elderly. [Nutr Health. 1992] - PubMed Result

Look at me, I'm as smart as mikemartial and madmick for posting pubmed abstracts. :icon_chee

Actually I stole this link from a comment in a blog :icon_sad:

So Asians do drink milk. So much for all of them being lactose intolerant.

Cool!
After taking milk out of diet basically for the last 2 and a half years I am thinking about adding it back in.
Got into a raw milk group which the pickup happens to be next door to me.

Will see how it affects my allergies and such.

Interesting info considering the Japanese culture's diet is perceived as one with a large consumption of grains-rice.

Bry

Look at me, I'm as smart as mikemartial and madmick for posting pubmed abstracts. :icon_chee

LMAO! Good post there buddy! :icon_chee

"The present paper examines the relationship of nutritional status to further life expectancy and health status in the Japanese elderly based on 3 epidemiological studies. 1. Nutrient intakes in 94 Japanese centenarians investigated between 1972 and 1973 showed a higher proportion of animal protein to total proteins than in contemporary average Japanese. 2. High intakes of milk and fats and oils had favorable effects on 10-year (1976-1986) survivorship in 422 urban residents aged 69-71. The survivors revealed a longitudinal increase in intakes of animal foods such as eggs, milk, fish and meat over the 10 years. 3. Nutrient intakes were compared, based on 24-hour dietary records, between a sample from Okinawa Prefecture where life expectancies at birth and 65 were the longest in Japan, and a sample from Akita Prefecture where the life expectancies were much shorter. Intakes of Ca, Fe, vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and the proportion of energy from proteins and fats were significantly higher in the former than in the latter. Intakes of carbohydrates and NaCl were lower."

Nutrition for the Japanese elderly. [Nutr Health. 1992] - PubMed Result

You fuckin' rock, Styles. Posting positive studies about eating meat and eggs and drinking milk, along with starting epic threads of well-defines fitness beauty?

Absolutely badass.

I plan on passing this on to a couple of my sillier vegetarian friends. They're the kind who think that it's just plain healthier; none of the understandable political or belief motives with them.

I wonder how much 'More' tends to be in a Japanese diet, as opposed to an American diet.

More chicken, eggs, milk, etc. in Japan might still be Less chicken, eggs, milk, etc. than the standard American consumes.

Okinawan's eat a lot of pork, but it is boiled and most of the fat is removed.

It is nearly impossible to find skim or 2% milk in Okinawan, they only drink whole.

My wife is native Okianwan. She gets very lean when she goes on the traditional Okinawan diet. When she eat like an American, she gains weight.

Cool, which I know :D nice find, especially with the Japanese, as the perception = lean fish + rice for diet. Damn good food, just broke up with a japanese girl.

Anyhow, the Adventists typically claim the longest life span:

Study Links Adventist Lifestyle With Longevity

For no meat, no "spicy" foods like mustard, no animal anything.

Wanted to find some RELIABLE sources to at least spark some conversation, but, its all Adventist related.

Okinawan's eat a lot of pork, but it is boiled and most of the fat is removed.

It is nearly impossible to find skim or 2% milk in Okinawan, they only drink whole.

My wife is native Okianwan. She gets very lean when she goes on the traditional Okinawan diet. When she eat like an American, she gains weight.

Don't they cook everything in lard?

Back