Japan mulling plans for QRF units based on southwest islands

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Japan could establish new Ground Self-Defense Force (GSDF) bases garrisoned with quick reaction force (QRF) units on some of its islands in the southwest Nansei chain by fiscal year 2018 (FY 2018).

1518729_-_main.jpg

http://www.janes.com/article/38204/japan-mulling-plans-for-qrf-units-based-on-southwest-islands

Makes sense.

Time for Japan to lift restrictions on their military.

Would these bases serve as a canary in a cage? What would these QRFs quickly respond to?

Makes sense.

Time for Japan to lift restrictions on their military.

hi SammyPops,

as long as Japan's military actions dovetail with US foreign policy, i agree it makes sense and it's fine.

they can serve as a proxy to US interests.

- IGIT

Japan should just build a permanent military facility there. Small as it is, there's still room to do that.

I have hiked on Ishigaki jima. Cool island. Suppose it will be overrun with JDF soon.

this thread reminds me of playing Front Mission 3 when I was younger.

It's a symbolic gesture that doesn't have any practical use. In case armed conflict breaks out, the small garrison is useless against any combined air/naval assault. During a time of sabre rattling, this will only rustle the other side's jimmies, causing a response. China and Japan are better off just holding where they are. Chest puffing never ends well.

Back