Japan just discovered 16 million tons of rare earth metals.

I disagree. i have a Japanese citizenship. They don't hate America, they are insular and don't like anybody else.
Not strictly true. They have a fetish for white people, and they are particularly enamoured with Canada and Canadians. They have a lot of baggage associated with China and Korea, and an inferiority complex toward the US, but they don’t go beyond moderate dislike of almost anybody. Just like Americans, negative preconceptions abound among people who have had little contact wth foreigners, but even the least travelled tend to have a broader view.

The fact that the technology to do that doesn't exist yet
As the article in the OP says, the focus is currently on the best way to extract them. I suspect that there is sufficient motivation to propel them to a solution sooner rather than later.

Not strictly true. They have a fetish for white people, and they are particularly enamoured with Canada and Canadians. They have a lot of baggage associated with China and Korea, and an inferiority complex toward the US, but they don’t go beyond moderate dislike of almost anybody. Just like Americans, negative preconceptions abound among people who have had little contact wth foreigners, but even the least travelled tend to have a broader view.
I agree. I kind of expand on my thinking in another post. i experienced a bit of the same myself being a Latino in rural America for years. It is in amazing place and I was sure I met my future wife when I lived there.

That backfired quickly. What an epic fail. I remember people constantly bringing up the dominance China had on these and just like that, gone, and indirectly on their own fault.

Haven't seen such a delicious feast of crows since OPEC's shenanigans directly lead to the advent of fracking technology in the U.S.

Haven't seen such a delicious feast of crows since OPEC's shenanigans directly lead to the advent of fracking technology in the U.S.

Yea, I guess there have been a few examples recently. You control/cut supply off and the market will find alternatives or other supplies.

Yea, I guess there have been a few examples recently. You control/cut supply off and the market will find alternatives or other supplies.

Alternatives and opportunities..... Wonderful....

Naw man that island is a part of China

s-l300.jpg

It's not that unevenly distributed either, it's just that the source must be profitable. Japan reserves apparently are underwater, which is pretty bad. It also seems to involve an environmental catastrophe wherever it's mined. The USA for example got a good amount of REE but stopped exploring it because regulations make it noncompetitive with China.

Sucks that I am the first to like this post.

Best post in the thread

This was a plot point in the new Pacific Rim movie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back