Jan´s KO was awesome

Hammer.gif

What I like is Jan seems to have one punch power in both hands. He clipped Rockhold with the left and Anderson with the right.

It was a thing of beauty really! The main event in the card delivered.
It's what the fans want to see.<{UberTS}>
Picture worth a thousand words.
i do not understand some of the most basic tenets of martial arts being ignored at the highest level
<{1-9}>
MMA competitions high level = myth.
guys getting pushed against the fence and not fishing for underhooks

guys throwing punches and letting their hands fall straight down to their waist

guys keeping their hands low, particularly in the pocket

and guys stepping in with kicks while leaving their head totally exposed
This is from all that live sparring MMA brags about.<Oku04>

You should show them how it’s done.
<{1-69}>

I am glad to see Jan performing well these days. His earlier fights did not do justice to his skills.
Jan B. was handed a gift... and he accepted.<{1-16}>

i do not understand some of the most basic tenets of martial arts being ignored at the highest level

guys getting pushed against the fence and not fishing for underhooks

guys throwing punches and letting their hands fall straight down to their waist

guys keeping their hands low, particularly in the pocket

and guys stepping in with kicks while leaving their head totally exposed
When you're tired, full of adrenaline, and the crowd is roaring sometimes those basics just go out the window.

The fight was short but Jan was mapping Corey´s movements, and he noted the awkward way Corey positions his body to give more power to his kicks. So he left the left leg as a bait and waited for Corey to come for it. In one of the gifs you can see that when Corey kicks with the right leg, his head is AHEAD of his left knee. As if he was asking to be KOed. And Jan complied.

This, in my view, is the beauty of training, and a fighter´s ability to read his opponent.
and a superb ability to counter low kick with a big hook.

Yeah - that was nice. Looks like he baited the kick and chose to eat it but step in with that counter right hand.

Anderson did something similar to Irvin - baited kick and then countered with the straight right (except he caught Irvin's kick.)

It's what the fans want to see.<{UberTS}>

Picture worth a thousand words.
<{1-9}>
MMA competitions high level = myth.

This is from all that live sparring MMA brags about.<Oku04>

<{1-69}>

Jan B. was handed a gift... and he accepted.<{1-16}>
Not sure I understand any of what you just said
When you're tired, full of adrenaline, and the crowd is roaring sometimes those basics just go out the window.
of course, but Derrick Lewis didn’t even want under hooks against Latifi. Corey Anderson had zero, I mean ZERO defense while kicking. It was the first round. That’s a bad habit from bad training, nothing more

of course, but Derrick Lewis didn’t even want under hooks against Latifi.
Don't watch the fights way most media does. My reaction to the gif.<{1-8}>

Corey Anderson had zero, I mean ZERO defense while kicking.
This is the status quo with MMA competition across the board. People go to an MMA gym which calls itself 'premier, when it's a gym work out with punches & ground stuff.

On the latter, I'm doing Judo and believe it's plain to me how it takes years, of intense training to get just the technical s of BJJ. What about a dedicated boxing program? MMA is a show.<Aug3>
It was the first round. That’s a bad habit from bad training, nothing more
<{1-10}>
Yeah, nothing. Drop the more. Corey Anderson does not know how to fight. He knows, in this case, how to kick... kinda - sorta - not really - got himself killed off - very quickly - doing MMA's '\evolved' training.

Don't watch the fights way most media does. My reaction to the gif.<{1-8}>

This is the status quo with MMA competition across the board. People go to an MMA gym which calls itself 'premier, when it's a gym work out with punches & ground stuff.

On the latter, I'm doing Judo and believe it's plain to me how it takes years, of intense training to get just the technical s of BJJ. What about a dedicated boxing program? MMA is a show.<Aug3>
<{1-10}>
Yeah, nothing. Drop the more. Corey Anderson does not know how to fight. He knows, in this case, how to kick... kinda - sorta - not really - got himself killed off - very quickly - doing MMA's '\evolved' training.
Don’t be fooled, there are very good mma gyms and coaches out there!

But even at great gyms, there are good fighters who can get by on one skill set and then neglect others. Corey Anderson is a really good wrestler and likely beats up his training partners often. Unless you have very attentive coaches who pick apart your every technique and you study each facet very closely, it’s easy to develop deficiencies and bad habits while doing well in training. Takes a special athlete to get everything right, especially when they’re beating guys up all the time in the gym.

Corey served his chin on a silver platter. Jan obliged but sticking your head into range for someone's power hand is just stupid.

of course, but Derrick Lewis didn’t even want under hooks against Latifi. Corey Anderson had zero, I mean ZERO defense while kicking. It was the first round. That’s a bad habit from bad training, nothing more
It's true what happened to Cory happens across all martial arts competition. For the exact same reasons... people are fighting without a solid base in their 'art.'

MMA's not up to Japan's karate... but here's my point on how martial artists can excel... using WMMA as an example because it's slammed on MMA media all the time.
2019 JKA All Japan Female kumite final 女子組手決勝 K.Akiyama vs R.Sugimoto
•Jul 7, 2019

tsuruhimeja
46.3K subscribers
女子個人組手決勝戦 秋山響子vs 杉本りさ

I put this in japanese 'cause that's what MMA knows about traditional martial arts... it's completely foreign to MMA.

The gal competitor in red has a solid base. She wins the 1st score because her level of striking is ELITE. She needs more TRAINING. The gal competitor in white is really to face every challenge you throw at her with quick, accurate & decisive action, completely & utterly composed 100% of the time (almost). She loses the first scoring exchange because the opponent's level of striking is ELITE, but one can hardly tell which gets the score....

This is female kumite championship for all of Japan karate so the spotlight is on & very bright.

Of course MMA is not going spend a gazillion hours doing Shotokan karate... but they could go to a well ranked boxing gym and learn how to do what strikers are supposed to do.<{1-15}> See following post.

Last edited:
But even at great gyms, there are good fighters who can get by on one skill set and then neglect others.
How long has commercial MMA been going... 30 years nigh on? And it claims it's evolved. See All Japan Female kumite match, 2019. There's other videos of the winner... someone who has their martial act all together reads all over her face.

Corey Anderson is a really good wrestler and likely beats up his training partners often.
Why I train Judo & not @ an MMA gym. MMA emphasis is on how your natural physical gifts dominate less endowed, UNSKILLED opponents.<{1-9}>
Unless you have very attentive coaches who pick apart your every technique and you study each facet very closely, it’s easy to develop deficiencies and bad habits while doing well in training. Takes a special athlete to get everything right, especially when they’re beating guys up all the time in the gym.
Takes discipline. The implicit, hidden message in the All Japan Female Kumite Championship, video.

Boxing can teach great discipline too... but it tends to get sidetracked for all the reasons you've cited.<{1-7}>

Last edited:
The fight was short but Jan was mapping Corey´s movements, and he noted the awkward way Corey positions his body to give more power to his kicks. So he left the left leg as a bait and waited for Corey to come for it. In one of the gifs you can see that when Corey kicks with the right leg, his head is AHEAD of his left knee. As if he was asking to be KOed. And Jan complied.

This, in my view, is the beauty of training, and a fighter´s ability to read his opponent.

brb using imagination since no gif.

Don’t be fooled, there are very good mma gyms and coaches out there!
Here's an MMA Coach owns his own gym in China. Has a nice YT channel. What's he talking about now... ------ after two decades??? of fighting, training & coaching???
Cowboy vs McGregor: The “F” word of combat sports: footwork
•Jan 21, 2020

Ramsey Dewey
135K subscribers
We were all dazzled by Connor McGregor’s shoulder strikes that discombobulated Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone at UFC 246 this last weekend. But let’s take a close look at the simple footwork that set everything in motion.

What's the topic? Boxing 101... footwork. <Kpop01>Like the early YT comment says.

It was a lame KO, Corey Anderson has got an awfully fragile chin, man. I'm glad we don't have to mention Anderson in the title picture ever again though, so that's something.
Maybe he does have a fragile chin, but Jesus did you hear the volume of that strike when it connected? It sounded like a 2x4 getting cracked. I think that punch might have KOed a horse.

Back