James Toney Documentary

MisterT

Tsar
@Brown
Reaction score
I was lurkin on the East Side Boxing Forums and came accross this documentary.
Thought ppl might like it.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Great stuff T! Never seen it and glad I did. Toney's a nut, and was once even crazier than he is now. I live in the same city he's from and some of the stories I'd hear around the gyms and boxing people about him are pretty nuts. Dude is mean!

I wonder if they will include his latest fight in the Documentry?

You wonder if they'll include Toney's latest fight in this 1994 documentary?

retard_ninja.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff T! Never seen it and glad I did. Toney's a nut, and was once even crazier than he is now. I live in the same city he's from and some of the stories I'd hear around the gyms and boxing people about him are pretty nuts. Dude is mean!

Please dont hesistate to retell a few of those tales :D

Thank you for posting that Mr. T

No problem.

Not unless they make a new one. The documentary that I posted is old as hell (it brought back mad memories tho. Dr. Dre's Chronic album was the shit :) ).

This. I've still never understood the whole breakdown that he had with his old manager. Why did he threaten to shoot her with a gun?

Nothing too in-depth that I can recall now, mostly just pulling his gun out and beating people up at Huron (his high school) & Stoneybrook & Sandalwood (neighborhoods in Ann Arbor that he hung out in), and putting beatings and dudes bigger than him at boxing gyms...

This stuff would just sporradically come up every so often at shows or at other gyms when we travelled for sparring. It's almost like an urban legend when you hear so much different shit from so many people and you wonder how much of it is true, but you've gotta think that the word on the street came to be what it is for a reason.

I've met James a couple times. Once after an amateur show in town he was hanging out with a couple members of the Goon Squad (google might work for that one or not) and some guys from a local boxing gym, one of which I guess he was looking to promote. I asked him who he's fighting next to which he replied "Audley Harrison"....I was surprised he said that because Audley had a fight already lined up at that point, but I just basically told James 'you're too fast for that guy' to which he replied "i'm too fast for all of them" and proceeded to go on a little rant. Then I asked him if he'd be willing to get some work in w/me and he started laughing and, to nobody in particular around him, asked "ok, who gonna bring the body bags"...after that my friend and I left.... it was classic Toney and I was pretty happy to have had that exchange w/ him. He was all decked out in really gaudy jewelry, HUGE watch, chain, & bracelet. I knew the guy was small but the most recent time I saw him he just looked so tiny I can't imagine how he's able to even compete at hw. Dude's hands are tiny.

lol who's going to bring to bodybags..

that is cool shit man. You didnt just get to share a few words with one of the few, true masters of boxing. But also literally one of the baddest motherfuckers on the planet. Is Toney ever planning to have and train his own stable?

I doubt he has the patience to ever be a good trainer, plus it's getting harder and harder for everyone to understand him when he talks. I hope lives a good healthy life, but the guy basically doesn't and hasn't really ever done much at the gym but spar to prepare for fights. That's undoubtedly the reason that he's such a master of his craft, but when you couple 25 years of gym wars with an 80 fight pro career, there's no doubt he's taken enough bumps on the noggin to have caused a normal man to become a vegetable. Toney's no normal man, but it's showing in his speech.

Last edited:
I doubt he has the patience to ever be a good trainer, plus it's getting harder and harder for everyone to understand him when he talks. I hope lives a good healthy life, but the guy basically doesn't and hasn't really ever done much at the gym but spar to prepare for fights. That's undoubtedly the reason that he's such a master of his craft, but when you couple 25 years of gym wars with an 80 fight pro career, there's no doubt he's taken enough bumps on the noggin to have caused a normal man to become a vegetable. Toney's no normal man, but it's showing in his speech.

yeah, thats what i initially thought at first. but still, would be real cool to catch him on the street and learn a thing or two in passing. lol. regardless if you caught all of what he was sayin. haha

Is Toney planning to fight again this year?

I remember reading somewhere that this year the IBF declined a Klitschko-Toney bout

cool info, guys. insteresting thread to read and thanks, TS, for the doc.

Back