James toney 10 years ago

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Melilot, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Melilot

Melilot Brown Belt

If Toney was 10 years younger would he dominate today's boxing scene? He's 41 and still holds a world title in a higher weight class even, which either indicates how talented lights out is or just how much boxing has deteriorated over the years.

But if he was 10 years younger, would he do better or worse than in his own time? I'd say the boxing scene is way less competitive and if he was 10 years younger he could've held any title he wanted to at the higher weight classes.

war Toney! lights out for old man couture!
    [​IMG]

2. BR

BR Purple Belt

10 years ago he was still fat. Although he was better, he wasn't great by any means. I think Ademek and Dawson would beat him depending on what weight class he was fighting at. Toney was fighting on Friday Night Fights for a reason. Now Toney from 15 years ago was a different story.

3. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

This. 10 years ago wouldn't matter. Even ih was fighting at HW he still gets beat by Haye,Ademek, Klits and at LHW I could see Dawson beating him. Toney was a great MW and could give any fighter in history trouble at MW, outside of the that div. his career and lack of motivation stop him from being a great fighter.

4. JerseyRob

JerseyRob Brown Belt

I'm a little surprised that people are quick to say Adamek, Haye and Dawson outright beat Toney. None of them have a significant size advantage like Peter did and Toney is every bit the technician they are and we know he can take a punch. After the way he beat Jirov I think he could easily beat Adamek and Haye. Dawson would be interesting with Dawson easily outpointing him early but James could easily get a late stoppage with his style.

5. JerseyRob

JerseyRob Brown Belt

This is true

6. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Banned Banned

Toney vs Courtney Butler in 2000

He was on Friday Night Fights and 198 lbs. He could hold titles at cruiserweight today, but it's never been a great division.

7. JerseyRob

JerseyRob Brown Belt

Haahaha I was watching the KO but seeing Anna Kournikovas name on the bottom line distracted me. I went through many a box of kleenex because of her back in the day.

8. MMAmouse

MMAmouse Brown Belt

Toney's old out of shape ass would still give Adamek trouble even today.

9. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

Toney does NOT hold a world title. Nobody recognizes his belt has having any meaning whatsoever.

10. Sharkey

Sharkey Who finishes 3rd?

Point.

Although you have to imagine Dana White hypocritical ass is salivating over the thought of selling Toney as a "world champion" to the sheep even though Dana has been outspoken against the existence of these various boxing titles (and ones with more prestigue to the fighters/many fans than the fucking irrelevant IBA) in the past.

11. rsreed13

rsreed13 Yellow Belt

Yeah. I could easily see him doing this, especially since the fight is being promoted as a boxing vs. mma fight. I really hope Toney beats the crap out of Couture if only because I have so many UFC fanatics at work who think boxing is an old man's sport that's on its last legs.

EDIT: To answer the question, I think a prime 168 Toney would've excelled in this time and sent all of the super-six contestants home. Ward would probably provide some challenges, but James was a half-way decent technician, and Ward doesn't have real KO power to speak of.

12. BIGthingsSON

BIGthingsSON Blue Belt

You know what, this UFC thing has really given Toney the publicity that he needed. So many topics about the guy now a days , its wonderful.

13. thatsmydin

thatsmydin Blue Belt

A prime James Toney would win the super six

14. Lazy Man

Lazy Man Heavyweight Champion of the World

Toney is selling himself as that to Dana White :icon_lol:

15. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Banned Banned

I don't think it's that wonderful. I'm sure Toney himself is loving every minute of it, but not me. Toney was a really good boxer who could have been a really great boxer with some more dedication, but other than that, he's yesterday's news. All this attention has really done has create a lot of pointless MMA vs boxing talk.

Even from the freakshow point of view I don't like this fight. Both guys have too many excuses lined up for the fight to be pointless. One guys is 47 fuckin years old, the other is 41 with brain damage, past his prime in boxing, and a rookie in mma. If Toney wins - Couture is an old man (which is true). If Couture wins - Toney isn't even a top boxer anymore (which is true). Show me Manny Pacquiao vs BJ Penn and I'll admit I'm kind of excited, but Couture vs Toney? I can't even pretend I care.

16. JayOliver

JayOliver Green Belt

Anybody who has ever read an article on Sherdog knows that this fight is a pre-engineered money making strategy... especially Zuffa, Couture, and James Toney who are all going to be paid.

However to a high percentage of customers who line the UFC's pockets and don't watch any other MMA or Boxing, it is a "big fight".

17. pecho26

pecho26 Purple Belt

if toney was younger adamek,haye and klitcko sisters would get raped
    hell even now i dont think adamek and haye would do well against toney