James Smith on Olympic Lifts for MMA Athletes

This leads me to think that keg tossing is a better idea then I first thought.

Ok, I sort of understand the high pull, but does do you pull all the way up to the neck/chest? Also, should you start from the ground or deadlift the weight, then pull explosively? I've usually deadlifted then pulled to the chest. Any vids on form?

From hat i know its like a powerclean without the catch. You can do it either from the ground or from the hang (hangpull).

Holy God guys.

Of course I read at Elitefts.com that James Smith currently coaches at "West Valley High School" in CA, but I always assumed it was some other West Valley than the one within 20 minutes of my house, here in cow country, some other high school than the one whose basketball team I used to destroy when I was in my glorious youth.

But then I posted at his board and he writes this: "I see that you are in Red Bluff. I live just north of you in Anderson. Feel free to email/call me via the contact page of the site if you would like to arrange a meeting."

Haha! I've had coworkers work in strength and conditioning at West Valley. Actually, one of the CSCS's I work with (who was kind of annoying, but my former boss's girlfriend, so I put up with it) lamented to me a bunch when she was new out there that some "big football guy had modified the machinery and she told him it was dangerous and he told her he knew what he was doing but no one would listen to her because she was a woman and he had muscles", HAHA, if this was James, I'm so gonna make fun of her forever for not knowing who he is.

Dude, I'm totally fucking blown away. James Smith offered to meet me in person. This board has been so good to me.

And injuriewise its the most risky part of the lift, isnt it? So do the benefits justify the risks?

graedy said:
And injuriewise its the most risky part of the lift, isnt it? So do the benefits justify the risks?

i wouldnt say that. the catch is where wrist problems occur mostly. it might also be where the 'labrum fraying' james smith refers to occurs. i would say the benefits outweigh the risks for the most part, but there are ways to get around using them.

Thanks! I actually looked it up right after posting. I was just unsure of the intial starting- deadlift or explosion. Oh, and yes, EXRX is not a bookmark!

I am looking to get into the O-lifting. I would never do it without a coach. I emailed a coach who I hope, still lives in my area. He coached a guy to the olympics before. I think that any sport is dangerous. I ahve been hurt more times than I can count in BJJ. I think that proper coaching can decrease a lot of injury potential.

im teaching myself the o-lifts. just read how to do them and go do them. start light , then build up. if its to heavy, drop it. your body adapts and learns how to do them. even though learning the snatch is tough, its not that hard with a bit of dedication and patience. dont be scared of them, be confident, positive and enjoy them, as its really fulfilling when you manage to execute them properly.

Back