James Head accused of being a bully in high school

Da Speeit's definition of bullying is wrong.

Bullying someone involves constant, repetitive and sometimes overwhelming abuse. Whether its physical, psychological, verbal or any combination of the three.

Being an asshole and a bully arent mutually exclusive, so James in the scenario presented was being both an asshole and a bully. Like most if not all bullies are Id wager.

From the scenario posted in the first post it seems like James was constantly on that kid for a year. Its not clear whether he made good on his threat to beat up the other kid but it seems unlikely that James didnt do something harmful to him for an entire year to have him afraid of attending school.

I'm not going to say you're wrong in the slightest, because i actually am inclined to agree with this post, though my reservation is that we really dont know what happened and if persisted throughout the year (or how), but i just want to point out that i never defined "bullying", i just spoke on a personal experience and the zeitgeist around the word.

"Bullies" are usually on display for the public and i dont know if that's what James was supposedly doing.

"Bullying", in my case, at least, was a constant barrage of insults and public humiliation at my expense. Every day, multiple people poking fun at my appearance and weight, and making a school-wide ordeal.

You have a girly voice and you stepped up to rap in the OT. You got balls. You are an artist, you play guitar, you make great gifs and you are never shy to tell your opinion. I kind of like you. Don't know what these kids had such a problem with.

It wasnt one kid saying he wanted to fight me, which happened a lot due to my weight and the fact that i was known to fight (when you kick someone's ass, someone else who knows they can kick your ass wants to prove they can do so, etc), it was usually a group with a motive.

That sucks. I can see that happening. It sure helps if you have cars full of friends backing you up. We had a few neo-nazis in a neighboring town, when I was a kid and one of them wanted to pick a fight with me. He said he would kick my ass and then he would fuck up whoever else from my town, if need be. I told him that's cool, meet me one hour after school, downtown. I'll be there and obviously some other people who you can try. Then I called everybody I knew and chatted up everyone in school and told them that "the nazis" wanted to invade and "put a beating on the town" and voila I had about 150 kids with skateboards, sticks, parts of fences, bats and what not on my side. That was the biggest lynch mob of angry kids in the history of our small town. So the dudes rolled in with a car. They stopped. One guy got out, turned around, got right back in. Then the car set there as everyone was waiting for some other cars to arrive or something. One more car showed up, pulled around and drove off.
Then me and a few others knocked on the door of the car and the guy rolled down the window. They were like, you know this ain't a fair fight, right? I was surprised they had stuck around and I actually found some respect for them for even rolling down the window. I said, you told me to bring whoever, that's them. He said, o.k. fine, I'm sorry I messed with you. Let's leave it at that. I said, o.k., just don't go around threatening anybody from around here. Then they left and so did almost everyone else. That's when the real story happened. Apparently one kid with a few others followed them to teach them a lesson. Those guys drove to their grandparents. The granddad had a gun collection. They obviously felt threatened at that point. So the one guy gets a shotgun and stands in the door-way like, what? So the kid that followed them knows this guy. He's a little bat-shit at the time and he gets out of the car, walks to the guy with the gun, gives him a black eye and takes the gun from him. He still has it to this day, lol.

That's in my experience at least, and it seems to be the experience of the person who came forward.

That's my experience, too. It helps to get enrolled in sports. Nobody really picks on athletes. But then not everyone has sporting genes, so I guess it's not necessarily an option for everyone. Honestly though, even if you are bad at sports, after a year on the football team or better yet the wrestling team, you'll have a lot of big strong friends looking out for you, even if you aren't the best.

"Bullying" is usually something made to revolve public humiliation and not person-to-person assholism.

It's different these days I guess. When I was a kid there was usually some respected person that stuck up for whoever got "bullied" for longer than a week or so. One week was like the unwritten limit. There is no point in picking on someone that's already humiliated.

Once again, not excuse the latter, because it's fucking ridiculous as well. But the word "Bully" encompasses something a little more sinister at hand, which very well may be the case, but it doesn't really sound like it from what the article provided.

I'll see what comes out.

I don't know what the difference is supposed to be. Bullying also starts with one person, then others join in once weakness is exposed. It's exactly like you describe in my opinion, but that normally comes from one person having an issue with someone and making everyone else a part of that, like if you are my friend, you will help me ridicule this guy for reason xyz.

That doesn't mean we know what went on, but more then likely that fighter used to be acting a fool, because he was tougher than others. He then went into MMA and probably learned a lot of discipline and got self-confidence. I bet he doesn't act like that any more, because he now knows there is always someone that's tougher than you. So maybe he was a bully, maybe not. You can't change the mistakes you make in highschool, but that doesn't mean Head himself hasn't changed a lot. I can see the TS being happy about Head getting it, but in reality Head made money fighting and turned to doing something respectable. Win or lose, he stepped in there and put it on the line in a fair fight. He's fighting real fighters in a cage for money now, not picking on smaller guys that don't want any beef. Instead of posting here, maybe the TS could have written to Head directly, but honestly, TS's little thread is probably something James Head will have to live with. I don't exactly think a thread like this on sherdog will have a negative impact on his career. This isn't figure skating. It's a good sport for guys that are bullies or being bullied. It gives them both perspective, skills and self-confidence. It'll straighten out bullies and give those that were bullied something to be proud of. It makes them secure and then they won't attract bullies looking for weakness, just from the change in body language alone.

You have a girly voice and you stepped up to rap in the OT. You got balls. You are an artist, you play guitar, you make great gifs and you are never shy to tell your opinion. I kind of like you. Don't know what these kids had such a problem with.

That sucks. I can see that happening. It sure helps if you have cars full of friends backing you up. We had a few neo-nazis in a neighboring town, when I was a kid and one of them wanted to pick a fight with me. He said he would kick my ass and then he would fuck up whoever else from my town, if need be. I told him that's cool, meet me one hour after school, downtown. I'll be there and obviously some other people who you can try. Then I called everybody I knew and chatted up everyone in school and told them that "the nazis" wanted to invade and "put a beating on the town" and voila I had about 150 kids with skateboards, sticks, parts of fences, bats and what not on my side. That was the biggest lynch mob of angry kids in the history of our small town. So the dudes rolled in with a car. They stopped. One guy got out, turned around, got right back in. Then the car set there as everyone was waiting for some other cars to arrive or something. One more car showed up, pulled around and drove off.
Then me and a few others knocked on the door of the car and the guy rolled down the window. They were like, you know this ain't a fair fight, right? I was surprised they had stuck around and I actually found some respect for them for even rolling down the window. I said, you told me to bring whoever, that's them. He said, o.k. fine, I'm sorry I messed with you. Let's leave it at that. I said, o.k., just don't go around threatening anybody from around here. Then they left and so did almost everyone else. That's when the real story happened. Apparently one kid with a few others followed them to teach them a lesson. Those guys drove to their grandparents. The granddad had a gun collection. They obviously felt threatened at that point. So the one guy gets a shotgun and stands in the door-way like, what? So the kid that followed them knows this guy. He's a little bat-shit at the time and he gets out of the car, walks to the guy with the gun, gives him a black eye and takes the gun from him. He still has it to this day, lol.

That's my experience, too. It helps to get enrolled in sports. Nobody really picks on athletes. But then not everyone has sporting genes, so I guess it's not necessarily an option for everyone. Honestly though, even if you are bad at sports, after a year on the football team or better yet the wrestling team, you'll have a lot of big strong friends looking out for you, even if you aren't the best.

It's different these days I guess. When I was a kid there was usually some respected person that stuck up for whoever got "bullied" for longer than a week or so. One week was like the unwritten limit. There is no point in picking on someone that's already humiliated.

I don't know what the difference is supposed to be. Bullying also starts with one person, then others join in once weakness is exposed. It's exactly like you describe in my opinion, but that normally comes from one person having an issue with someone and making everyone else a part of that, like if you are my friend, you will help me ridicule this guy for reason xyz.

That doesn't mean we know what went on, but more then likely that fighter used to be acting a fool, because he was tougher than others. He then went into MMA and probably learned a lot of discipline and got self-confidence. I bet he doesn't act like that any more, because he now knows there is always someone that's tougher than you. So maybe he was a bully, maybe not. You can't change the mistakes you make in highschool, but that doesn't mean Head himself hasn't changed a lot. I can see the TS being happy about Head getting it, but in reality Head made money fighting and turned to doing something respectable. Win or lose, he stepped in there and put it on the line in a fair fight. He's fighting real fighters in a cage for money now, not picking on smaller guys that don't want any beef. Instead of posting here, maybe the TS could have written to Head directly, but honestly, TS's little thread is probably something James Head will have to live with. I don't exactly think a thread like this on sherdog will have a negative impact on his career. This isn't figure skating. It's a good sport for guys that are bullies or being bullied. It gives them both perspective, skills and self-confidence. It'll straighten out bullies and give those that were bullied something to be proud of. It makes them secure and then they won't attract bullies looking for weakness, just from the change in body language alone.

Firstly
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0qeeZvwpXxG

Secondly, this was a great post, and i agree with a lot of it, especially about athletics, though it was a where a lot of the problems came. I was just a fat kid and wasnt good at sports at all, so it made me a prime target, but as i get older and slimmer, the issues went away.

Athletics are also good for self-esteem and the feeling of earning something. Good vibes all around, though playing football in Texas was miserable.

That Nazi story is nuts, btw, jesus.

I'm just mad that I don't get to see people I dislike being beat up on tv. Actually, I am really not.

Since I don't know the if this kid is exaggerating or not, I'd have these questions. Yes I know he isn't here.

So this is James Head. In high school, he was relentless--every day in Spanish class, he'd sit next to me, as my father was the school principal.

Were you in the same Spanish class every year and was that class really every day? I need to establish a time frame here.

"Hey, how's it going?" he said one day. "....fine," I said, wondering why this big kid was talking to me. "You're a *********," he said, matter-of-fact. "....OK," I said, fiddling with my bitchin' No Fear trapper keeper. "I'm beating the shit out of you after school. And so on, for the entire year.

So what happened the other days? Did he beat the shit out of you? I am not really understanding if this is "bullying" or just someone being an asshole in high school.

Most psychopathic dude I knew. I'd go to sleep at night dreading the next day.

Did you try to rectify the situation? If not, why?

The only real joy I got each day was Newsradio, which was on in the mornings and made me laugh my ass off

I don't think James Head is to blame if the only thing in your life was Newsradio.

before I went to school to get mentally destroyed by this monster-fuck dickpiece.

Maybe he had a rough home life. Maybe he's a better person now. It's time to let go either way.

Also, this is terrible MMA journalism at it's best. It's a reddit post, I could accuse Tom Brady of bullying me on there. ESPN wouldn't write a story about it.

Assigned Seats are being grossly overlooked in this thread

I'm not going to say you're wrong in the slightest, because i actually am inclined to agree with this post, though my reservation is that we really dont know what happened and if persisted throughout the year (or how), but i just want to point out that i never defined "bullying", i just spoke on a personal experience and the zeitgeist around the word.

"Bullies" are usually on display for the public and i dont know if that's what James was supposedly doing.

No, you didn't define bullying, but you demonstrated a flawed understanding of it.

Doesn't really sound like "Bullying" sounds like James had a hankering case of the "I dont fucking like that guy" sickness teenaged boys are prone to.

Sad no one can discern the difference these days.

Wrong. It sounds exactly like bullying. You clearly don't know what you're talking about, and the poster above me was right to call you out on your bullshit. Just because you were a victim of bullying yourself doesn't give you the right to be wrong in your facts.

I was always an athlete, and in my highschool the athletes didnt go around picking fights with weaker people. It was mostly the guys with chips on their shoulders with no way to express themselves. People who normally dropped out.

I remember in grade 9, the first school dance I went to two gay guys in grade 12 were kissing, and the biggest bully in the school beat the shit out of them. 10 years later i ended up getting into a bar fight with the same guy.

since it's only his head that bullies no harm no foul

I'm just mad that I don't get to see people I dislike being beat up on tv. Actually, I am really not.

Since I don't know the if this kid is exaggerating or not, I'd have these questions. Yes I know he isn't here.

Were you in the same Spanish class every year and was that class really every day? I need to establish a time frame here.

So what happened the other days? Did he beat the shit out of you? I am not really understanding if this is "bullying" or just someone being an asshole in high school.

Did you try to rectify the situation? If not, why?

I don't think James Head is to blame if the only thing in your life was Newsradio.

Maybe he had a rough home life. Maybe he's a better person now. It's time to let go either way.

Also, this is terrible MMA journalism at it's best. It's a reddit post, I could accuse Tom Brady of bullying me on there. ESPN wouldn't write a story about it.

this is the thing I thought. Head is almost 29 years old. So this bullying took place , at least, 11 years ago. Seriously let it fucking go. If you are still hanging on to something 11 years later and all it involves is some dickish shit talking you are a pussy.

da spit. always quality posting. right

Troll much?

anyone with a million posts in a week if they are not trolls they simply talk to much

that poster takes way to much space in threads so i just added him on my ignore list the day after he joined when he/she had half a million posts

i dont mind trolls most makes me laugh, but this one is a waste of space

i just wished their was a way to also temporarily ignore anyone quoting him/her

Last edited:
Telling someone you want to fight them is being a coward?
This sounds a little hyperbolic.

doing that to someone smaller than you in high school, sounds like a bully to me

you have to expect lots of fighters might have been troublemakers in their younger days...it takes a special kind of person to enjoy it and be ok with getting punched in the face regularly.

not every fighter is going to be the geeky young kid who started martial arts to defend himself

He seems like he'd be that kinda of guy. Then me and my boys would put a fucking bat to his head.

I'd imagine that Head isn't the only fighter who was a school bully.

So you're wholly assuming something.

I dont know the whole situation, because i've yet to hear James' side of this whole ordeal, so calling him "Cowardly" because this kid happened to be smaller than him (we're assuming) and James had a problem with him is a little much.

We were all assholes in high school, every last one of us. That doesnt excuse James' behavior if he was truly victimizing this kid, but i havent read anything other than a specific instance of him calling a kid a name.

The supposed victim didnt even state that he was physically hurt by James, and was very nondescript about the situation.

Sure, he's assuming, and you're generalizing to a disgusting degree.

Who gives a shit what he was like in high school? He was a kid, kids grow up and mature. Don't get me started on what an idiot I was.

Doesn't really sound like "Bullying" sounds like James had a hankering case of the "I dont fucking like that guy" sickness teenaged boys are prone to.

Sad no one can discern the difference these days.

I'm pretty sure it crosses the line from not liking someone to bullying them when you try to hurt them (physically or emotionally) for no reason.

You can not like someone from across the room. The typical response for not liking someone is to avoid them. When you bully someone, you try to hurt them, sort of like calling them names out of nowhere in the middle of spanish class and threatening to beat them up.

and
Telling someone you want to fight them is being a coward?
This sounds a little hyperbolic.
it is always cowardly to try to provoke or cause a fight with someone SMALLER and WEAKER than you. (it's a different story if they started the situation but let's be clear, that's not what we're talking about. So if you randomly pick someone smaller than you and try to get them to fight you for no reason. That's cowardly)

That's where the phrase "Pick on someone your own size" comes from.

Now you can argue all day and night as to whether or not it's technically cowardly, but it's more like an insult they deserve for picking on someone weaker.

Really the more correct thing to say is: There's nothing brave or tough about picking on someone smaller than you. It's NOTHING you should be proud of. (and so to take that a step further. People say it's cowardly, because if you want to fight so much, go pick a fight with someone who is bigger than you, tougher than you)

Back