Movies James Cameron has 3 films in the top 5 most grossing movies of all-time.

Is he the biggest blockbuster film maker?

• Total voters
Here I found a more detailed look on adjusted for inflation and total amount of tickets sold.

Check out the estimated number of tickets sold. Look at Gone with the Wind with 202,286,200 million tickets sold. That's insane. It shows the product of the time, no TV, no video games, no computers/internet, streaming. Most people just went out and watched movies to escape from reality or just to be entertained.

And you got to remember it was just around the start of WWII.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2020

View attachment 964617

Got to remember the world population was about 2 billion then, and the US about 125 million.

Also tickets to the movies have gone up at greater rate than inflation (especially when you consider 3d, Imax etc).

Got to remember the world population was about 2 billion then, and the US about 125 million.

Also tickets to the movies have gone up at greater rate than inflation (especially when you consider 3d, Imax etc).

The estimated ticket sales thing is very impressive considering the population wasn't as much as today.

The estimated ticket sales thing is very impressive considering the population wasn't as much as today.

Yeah, remember reading that GWTW released today (with increased population, more expensive tickets, global release etc) would of made $4billion......though obviously there's factors that work against it too.

Last edited:
1. Avatar - $2,923,706,026
2. Avengers: Endgame - $2,799,439,100
3. Titanic: $2,194,690,964
4. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens - $2,071,310,218
5. Avatar: The Way of the Water - $2,026,675,670

If not James Cameron, who's the blockbuster king of filmmaking?

GQ1222_Cameron_02.jpg
Brion+James+-+Fifth+Element.jpg

I don't like any of em, and really would only watch star wars again for the lore in that list

Havent watched Titanic since it came on two VHS tapes but even I remember that movie was pretty epic. I still dont understand that fascination with Avatar other than the CGI, which I find odd since Cameron was one of the masters of practical effects. True Lies>Avatar anyday.

I'm not saying I have my finger on the pulse of popular opinions, but I know nobody who's mentioned seeing Avatar 2 or heard much talk of it generally. Impressed it's made so much money.

On topic for this thread: adjusting for inflation is mostly BS and films being measured by box office rather than tickets sold is a sad indictment of the industry.

No question

This dude has made only 3 movies in 25 years and all of them are in the Top 5 of highest grossing films

No question

This dude has made only 3 movies in 25 years and all of them are in the Top 5 of highest grossing films

That's a pretty crazy stat.

I have to respect that as an accomplishment but i'd have preferred a lot more if after titanic he went back to making movies like terminator and aliens. Or at least had a mix of those movies.

I don't hate the avatar movies either, sure the story lines aren't great but they are unique there's never been anything like them. Just the 10 year per movie doesn't seem to be the best use of time.

I'm not saying I have my finger on the pulse of popular opinions, but I know nobody who's mentioned seeing Avatar 2 or heard much talk of it generally. Impressed it's made so much money.

i guess it's one of those CGI movies you need to see it in big screen and therefore drive up the profit from the ticket sales.

On topic for this thread: adjusting for inflation is mostly BS and films being measured by box office rather than tickets sold is a sad indictment of the industry.

There's so many variables between 2023 and, say 1939, that comparing film finances between the two is just asinine.

Meanwhile he's #2 behind George Lucas when it comes to fucking up home releases. He loves adding new effects and adding DNR (scrubbing grain from movies). The Terminator 2 4K UHD release is regarded as one of the worst UHD releases available because it's so smoothed out that it looks waxy. But Cameron approved it and somehow thought it looked good.

JC has an amazing track record, all of his movies in order:

Terminator
Aliens
Terminator 2
The Abyss
Titantic

The only movie that wasn't a huge hit was The Abyss, but it was still a stellar movie.

Back