Jake Shields Respect

Wins over:

..Holy fuck. I'm not even a fan, but this is just sad to see him fighting outside the UFC.

He is great at wearing on guys, haven't seen his last performance but what I saw he is mostly a slow starter. I love his wrastlin and groundwork but it is not that entertaining to peoples that are less involved with/interested in jits/wrastlin. It's almost like he was punished for not dethroning GSP and becoming the new WW UFC kingpin.

Lawler came back successful, he may some day too! Not likely but possible.

jake is much better technically than those "grinders" you listed. His BJJ is elite, on a level similar to Galvao but not in the gi obviously.

also, Galvao got KO'd by Woodley, Jake didn't.

I disagree. He didn't get any subs in the UFC. Other grinders like Fitch spent the majority of their careers in the UFC and didn't get many subs, but have a look at his competition while taking into account when he fought them. Fitch had the tougher, more well-rounded opponents, which makes perfect sense. UFC obviously had the more stacked WW divison than SF.

I never mentioned Galvao for his MMA credentials anyway. I compared his BJJ to Shields. Woodley is definitely the better MMA fighter, but in no universe does that make Woodley a better BJJ practitioner than Galvao because of a KO in an MMA fight.

I don't think Shields' BJJ is as good as Galvao, either.

Robbie Lawler isn't the most important win. In context Hendo is.

Lawler wouldn't be a big deal on anybody's resume if he hadn't turned his career around.

He's the current champ and Jake has beat him. That's why it's most important. That's an indication that Jake has the skills to beat the current champ....which would make Jake the ww champion of the world. That's the context. If Jake beats Hendo in a rematch, doesn't mean much.

I just wonder, is it physically impossible for him to improve his striking?

He doesn't have that bad striking - he's just physically slow and moves as if he was wearing diving suit.

Which is why grappling finishes doesn't come easy either, even in very dominant positions.

That's sadly physically impossible to change much at this point.

Back