Jake Shields has underrated striking

Maybe, but his technique looked like he was a zombie on some cheap meth. Footwork, hand speed, defense he looked awkward.

Is his striking good or a product of a scary grappling/submission game? Jake was someone a lot of fighters feared back in the day.

If you removed 15% of grappling talent would his striking have been as effective?

Nah. His striking is terrible and there are 145ers who hit harder with better balance.

He did not outstrike Woodley. Stopp looking at stats. He was lightly touching Woodley by flicking out leg kicks and jab with no commitment of them because he wanted nothing to do with Woodley standing.

That's why in 3 rounds he attempted 17 takedowns against Woodley. And Woodley defended all 17 attempts.

He had decent kicks.

Also the only reason he out struck GSP was because he poked his damn eye out.

I still feel like GSP outstruck him, i havent seen the fight in a long time though.

Yes... obvious to master strikers like myself.

Ottoman-Slap.jpg

Is his striking good or a product of a scary grappling/submission game? Jake was someone a lot of fighters feared back in the day.

If you removed 15% of grappling talent would his striking have been as effective?
Reminds me of this, takedown threat is the great equalizer.
ComplicatedEmbarrassedGlobefish-max-1mb.gif

Jake shields is fundamentally sounded and can control the distance well. The biggest problem with his striking is that he has shit athleticism.

He had the same issue Askren had. Grappling is so dominant that they don't properly invest the motivation needed to be proficient in striking.

His fight with Hendo is one of the most underrated performances in history. He survived round 1 then controlled the rest of the fight against a bigger guy.

His fight with Hendo is one of the most underrated performances in history. He survived round 1 then controlled the rest of the fight against a bigger guy.

It was impressive for sure. I remember thinking before the fight that Hendo should be able to keep it standing or at least escape if taken down. Nope. Got mauled if I remember correctly.

For a guy who trained with the Diaz brothers, Jake had woeful striking.

Likewise those two idiots trained with Shields and Melendez and crumpled to wrestlers

Back