Jake Shields def. Lyoto Machida via. Submission

Shields is underrated or underappreciated as a grappler. The guy can hold off maia, that is saying something.

Not surprised he caught machida.

Embarrassing for a LHW to get tapped by a WW

Machida is a middleweight

Shields hasnt been cutting weight for quite a while im sure he is walking around at middleweight as well.

He more than neutralized Maia he out grappled him. Reversed him easily twice and passed his guard like 4-5 times. Maia couldn't do shit to shields. The shields cut is the worst UFC cut ever. Dude loses 1 fight after a 4 fight win streak and they cut him? He was just coming off beating Maia and Woodley. Shields has a win over 4 of the top 6 WW's in the world... and he the UFC cut him lol.
Agreed.
I am not a Shields fan but I realize just how good he is.
Shields being cut was just another indication that the UFC is more about entertainment then who the best fighters are. Because of this I have slowly lost the passion I once had. While I like to be entertained, I want to watch the best fighters regardless of their style.

Now if only Shields could finish fighters in the UFC then he'd still be around.

Maia will never avoid the ground against him. He did well against another BJJ guy. Good fight but this example has nothing to do with my argument.
Woodley didn't use good strategy. He would beat easily now though
Dan Henderson is supposed to be a wrestler but for some reason he doesn't have great TDD. He is a wrestler but not an elite wrestler in my opinion.
That Robbie Lawler is not the current Robbie Lawler not even close.
Please give me the list of fighters who have out grappled Hector Lombard to win the fight?

I know hendo is a wrestler but he mostly use striking for MMA. He don't have a great TDD for some reason and his strategic fighting is not wrestling.

Hendo doesn't have the cardio to grapple for a very long time

Now I want to see Machida/Palhares(with a shock collar so they can stop the match w/o issue).

Embarrassing for a LHW to get tapped by a WW

Shields is nothing short of a demi god on the mat. Getting tapped by Shields is nothing to be embarrassed about. He's easily one of the best grapplers the sport has ever seen.

Thanx for the vid. Was expecting a bit more urgency from Machida...

Shields gets a lot of disrespect but he is a total monster on the ground and has some very impressive wins in MMA.

That is such a shame.
Very few men on entire the planet can beat Shields.

Yet UFC cut Jake shields and sign 0-0 non amateur experience pro wrestler CM pnuk

Shields is an incomplete grappler. Hector threw him so easily at wish. His grappling skills incomplete because he is lacking the Judo/Wrestling of Hector and others. He can only throw strikers. His great ground skills are useless if he cannot win the grappling standing part (for some reasons many people thinks that "grappling" is just the ground game and even BJJ don't put emphasis on the standing grappling).. If he cannot takedown a Judoka/Wrestler then his grappling is useless. The Judo and/or wrestling guy will instead throw you around and not stupid enough to go to the ground for to long with him. BJJ will never beat wrestler/Judo guy if they really use strategy (you will not take me down and i won't go to the ground with you) that simple. Then on the striking department he is not very good he didn't have a chance against Hector.

that's funny because shield is a wrestler and he was an all american.

still, i agree with you in the part that he needs to strengthen his stand up offense, he was rag dolled by lombard very easily not to mention gsp took him down several times.

Woodley should have called out Jake Shields

Shields is a fucking monster! I still can't believe the UFC put Carwin 2 spots away from Shields in the top 200 fighters of all time. Dude has wins over the best of the best and he gets no respect. Easily one of the best resumes of all time. He has better wins than Nick but gets no love lol

How are you going to judge Shields grappling ability by one fight, what about his wins over Woodley, Maia, Dan Henderson and his first round submission of Robbie Lawler. Incomplete grappler because he lost to a super jacked steroid user?

Maia will never avoid the ground against him. He did well against another BJJ guy. Good fight but this example has nothing to do with my argument.
Woodley didn't use good strategy. He would beat easily now though
Dan Henderson is supposed to be a wrestler but for some reason he doesn't have great TDD. He is a wrestler but not an elite wrestler in my opinion.
That Robbie Lawler is not the current Robbie Lawler not even close.

Btw, Another great example to prove my point is the strategy GSP used against Shield. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Back