Jake Shields def. Lyoto Machida via. Submission

Nice, good luck dude. I think they stream all the pro cards on flograppling so I'll see you even though I don't know who you are, hopefully I root for the right guy lol

Im black belt under megaton 167lb

Yeah, I see him on the schedule for their pro event out there. That's cool, I'm a leg lock guy so I'll definitely look for some video of him. You should go watch live if you can, it looks like a good card. Looks like Rafael Lovato Jr is on there too, that dude is always fun to watch

I met Justin Rader when I dropped into their academy. Beautiful places and Rader is such a nice dude but I couldn't justify spending that much money at a place that didn't have nogi classes.

I'm actually talking to my boy Andrew whose competing st Fight to win next month on the same card Jams is lol.

Sheilds isn't the most exciting fighter but he's criminally underrated.

Shields is a shark. The way he neutralised Maia was unreal, shame how UFC let him go.

He more than neutralized Maia he out grappled him. Reversed him easily twice and passed his guard like 4-5 times. Maia couldn't do shit to shields. The shields cut is the worst UFC cut ever. Dude loses 1 fight after a 4 fight win streak and they cut him? He was just coming off beating Maia and Woodley. Shields has a win over 4 of the top 6 WW's in the world... and he the UFC cut him lol.

Glad to see it; Shields is a good dude. The leg lock chains I was shown at a Shields seminar are actually my favorites, and I've trained with Dean Lister.

Shields is an incomplete grappler. Hector threw him so easily at wish. His grappling skills incomplete because he is lacking the Judo/Wrestling of Hector and others.
Describing someone who gets down pretty much everyone but olympic judoka, NCAA D1 All-americans and GSP as "incomplete grapplers" is kind of bullshit, of the "impossibly high standards" variety.

It couldn't be that Hector is a gorilla with Olympic level judo? Not to mention he was probably juiced to the tits back then?

Yep very unfair of Lombard to bei "juiced to the tits" against someone who never was on the sauce.
Shields would never do that.

On a serious note. I dont get why people get offended by the statement about Shields lacking stand up wrestling. It is correct. He is like a snake on the ground, gives you no breathing room. Very very good with world class transitions but Shields never was a good stand up wrestler. Neither in takedowns nor clinch work.
It seems he has absolutely no explosiveness at all. Maybe thats one of the reasons he lacks in td.

My main problem with him is his extreme hypocrisy which they obviously drink for breakfast in Cesar Gracie camp and a stand up to instant sedate even ADHD kids. Doesnt take away his world class ground game.

No one knows what it was, it was never disclosed. We don't know if it was a diuretic or a steroid, but it's highly doubtful he was on it his entire career.
He failed regardless for the usage of banned diuretic. Hector didn't fail for the Sheilds fight, so as far as we can speculate they were both juiced. Hector is just a bad matchup for him.

Machida wasn't greased up enough.

77188f35ed58cc35b43d913cd8880c0f.jpg
You're never gonna catch me

No matter what you think about him the fact is that Shields is one of the best mma grapplers of all time.

Huh. I've never thought about it, but you might be right.

To be fair, the competition drops pretty far after GSP and Hughes, but still, he is, you know? Shit, Lawler is probably number four by now. Nick Diaz five, maybe?

To be fair, the competition drops pretty far after GSP and Hughes, but still, he is, you know? Shit, Lawler is probably number four by now. Nick Diaz five, maybe?
Oh, absolutely. And number one and two being legends, while number three being a "huh, you're right" is kind of a testament to that drop.

Lyoto's guard was extremely defensive. Not surprised Jake subbed him, he's a beast.

Shields is such a great grappler, I never realized this when he was in the UFC. But he is so talented. Machida has never been a strong grappler, so he had little chance to win this lol.

Embarrassing for a LHW to get tapped by a WW

Back