Jake Shields def. Lyoto Machida via. Submission

Thanks for sharing this. I thought that would happen. Shields is a grappling wizard.

And that guy has the nerve to call him an incomplete grappler...
you guys got points for sure, jake is a hell of a fighter, just his ground game is so elite if he could get a dominant double leg or find a way to take fights to the ground at his will like GSP he would be the guy everyone would hate but wins every fight. Shields is elite in grappling. But i understand where u guys are coming from for sure, i also believe jake shields is an amazing grappler. And he competes at the highest level of the sport so yeah guys a beast.

We aren't picking and choosing, you guys are. Shields has his strengths and weaknesses like any other fighter, but to call him an incomplete grappler because he had a hard time against Hector Lombard, who's naturally bigger than him, is absurd.
Lombard is only 5'9 which is "manlet" status to sherdoggers but he is huge in real life... life buff. I agree with ya man, im just saying i think he could be a champion even in the UFC if he could find a way to take people down and smother them. His BJJ is legit, but Woodley would be a hard match up for him, I could see him possibly beating Lawler again though. I think it boils down to him not being the most athlethic dude, where GSP is a freak pretty much, if he could get a double leg I think he's legit champ in any organization. I dont like him matching up with Woodley at all though...

you're right on that. Gsp is one of a kind. Im just saying he has elite ground game, if he could time his takedowns better and get the fight to the ground, he would be fucking hard to deal with. but you are right man. I argue with dumbass mma fans but you seem informed in what you're talking about so I respect that.

It's all good, dude. I know where you were going with your points, and you're right to an extent. I just thought the other guy was being really unfair.

I know Hector gets a bad rap here, and probably deservedly so, but he's a helluva fighter. No one can take that away from him.

Shields is an incomplete grappler. Hector threw him so easily at wish. His grappling skills incomplete because he is lacking the Judo/Wrestling of Hector and others. He can only throw strikers. His great ground skills are useless if he cannot win the grappling standing part (for some reasons many people thinks that "grappling" is just the ground game and even BJJ don't put emphasis on the standing grappling).. If he cannot takedown a Judoka/Wrestler then his grappling is useless. The Judo and/or wrestling guy will instead throw you around and not stupid enough to go to the ground for to long with him. BJJ will never beat wrestler/Judo guy if they really use strategy (you will not take me down and i won't go to the ground with you) that simple. Then on the striking department he is not very good he didn't have a chance against Hector.

Hmm...you didn't watch Shields vs Hendo, did you?

Lombard is only 5'9 which is "manlet" status to sherdoggers but he is huge in real life... life buff. I agree with ya man, im just saying i think he could be a champion even in the UFC if he could find a way to take people down and smother them. His BJJ is legit, but Woodley would be a hard match up for him, I could see him possibly beating Lawler again though. I think it boils down to him not being the most athlethic dude, where GSP is a freak pretty much, if he could get a double leg I think he's legit champ in any organization. I dont like him matching up with Woodley at all though...

He's getting up there in years too, right? What is he 34, 35?

It's all good, dude. I know where you were going with your points, and you're right to an extent. I just thought the other guy was being really unfair.

I know Hector gets a bad rap here, and probably deservedly so, but he's a helluva fighter. No one can take that away from him.
I agree man that's for sure....

Thanks for the spoiler alert you fucking douche.

Remember when people said Conor would KO jake before the nate fight? lol

I'd have to look it up, let me see. fucking aye hes 37 you're right. I never thought he was that old.... he doesnt look like it.

Black don't crack. I think he's starting to slow down, a lifetime of judo and grappling and those weight cuts didn't help him either. Dude is a beast, I wish he started mma younger, he reminds me of Yoel Romero in many ways..

I think they're the ones doing this big tournament in OKC in a month. I've a couple friends competing and they're beasts. Check out footage of Jams Patridge, dudes a beast and on the come up. His heelhook game is the best I've ever seen.
Yeah, I see him on the schedule for their pro event out there. That's cool, I'm a leg lock guy so I'll definitely look for some video of him. You should go watch live if you can, it looks like a good card. Looks like Rafael Lovato Jr is on there too, that dude is always fun to watch

Shields is an incomplete grappler. Hector threw him so easily at wish. His grappling skills incomplete because he is lacking the Judo/Wrestling of Hector and others. He can only throw strikers. His great ground skills are useless if he cannot win the grappling standing part (for some reasons many people thinks that "grappling" is just the ground game and even BJJ don't put emphasis on the standing grappling).. If he cannot takedown a Judoka/Wrestler then his grappling is useless. The Judo and/or wrestling guy will instead throw you around and not stupid enough to go to the ground for to long with him. BJJ will never beat wrestler/Judo guy if they really use strategy (you will not take me down and i won't go to the ground with you) that simple. Then on the striking department he is not very good he didn't have a chance against Hector.

I think you're just selling short Hector at WW. Dude was a monster . No one was winning the takedown battle with that guy except perhaps prime GSP.

Black don't crack. I think he's starting to slow down, a lifetime of judo and grappling and those weight cuts didn't help him either. Dude is a beast, I wish he started mma younger, he reminds me of Yoel Romero in many ways..
Yoel used to train in my gym and watch me spar boxing.. dudes super nice, couldnt say the same about Hector though. They are both cuban like me, but Yoel is a hell of a nice guy man. Guys super humble... I hope Yoel gets a crack at the title shot he deserves it man, he treats everyone nice. Same with Caceres he's a nice guy too...

I think you're just selling short Hector at WW. Dude was a monster . No one was winning the takedown battle with that guy except perhaps prime GSP.

Hector was physically so strong and powerful combined with his technique.

Yoel used to train in my gym and watch me spar boxing.. dudes super nice, couldnt say the same about Hector though. They are both cuban like me, but Yoel is a hell of a nice guy man. Guys super humble... I hope Yoel gets a crack at the title shot he deserves it man, he treats everyone nice. Same with Caceres he's a nice guy too...

I'm a huge Yoel fan, even though I only have seen him through the TV set, I always got the sense he is genuinely a good person. Most of the Cuban people I've met here in Chicago are super friendly and nice. Caceres seem like a cool dude too, I didn't know too much about him until he was on UFC Unfiltered, very humble and nice kid, he made me a fan, plus he's training with Benson.

I'm a huge Yoel fan, even though I only have seen him through the TV set, I always got the sense he is genuinely a good person. Most of the Cuban people I've met here in Chicago are super friendly and nice. Caceres seem like a cool dude too, I didn't know too much about him until he was on UFC Unfiltered, very humble and nice kid, he made me a fan, plus he's training with Benson.
ya i didnt like Benson cause as we both know he fought Nate and diaz bros are my favoerite fighter but now I like him. Alex doesnt care much for fighting, he's sorda of hippyish in real life. He smokes and all that he just doesnt say it like the Diaz bros do. He's really nice and trained with me before, guy has no bad intent he's just doing this to get by but he doesn't like it. He has a brother that trains too but hasnt made it to UFC, he's bigger and taller but not as talented. Alex is the cooler of the two even tho his bro is chill too.

ya i didnt like Benson cause as we both know he fought Nate and diaz bros are my favoerite fighter but now I like him. Alex doesnt care much for fighting, he's sorda of hippyish in real life. He smokes and all that he just doesnt say it like the Diaz bros do. He's really nice and trained with me before, guy has no bad intent he's just doing this to get by but he doesn't like it. He has a brother that trains too but hasnt made it to UFC, he's bigger and taller but not as talented. Alex is the cooler of the two even tho his bro is chill too.

I get the sense from Alex, as much as he loves the martial arts, mma/ufc is more of a job and a means to make money and security. Which is totally cool by me and completely understandable, I get the sense he's more interested in life, music, traveling, and growing as a human being than fighting for glory in the UFC.

Back