Jake Shields def. Lyoto Machida via. Submission

Shields is an incomplete grappler. Hector threw him so easily at wish. His grappling skills incomplete because he is lacking the Judo/Wrestling of Hector and others. He can only throw strikers. His great ground skills are useless if he cannot win the grappling standing part (for some reasons many people thinks that "grappling" is just the ground game and even BJJ don't put emphasis on the standing grappling).. If he cannot takedown a Judoka/Wrestler then his grappling is useless. The Judo and/or wrestling guy will instead throw you around and not stupid enough to go to the ground for to long with him. BJJ will never beat wrestler/Judo guy if they really use strategy (you will not take me down and i won't go to the ground with you) that simple. Then on the striking department he is not very good he didn't have a chance against Hector.

Yeah, it's a shame this video didn't show the match from the start. I'm very curious as to how machida ended up on bottom in guard. He's always shown really good tdd, and shields's td's have been pretty mediocre for the longest time. Seemed like ryoto was in full defensive/survival mode for most of that time.

Thanks for posting the vid. I wish I could have made it to the event since it was here in Denver but I was busy.

On a semi related note, any sherdoggers who do any kind of submission grappling should check out fight to win promotions. Seth puts on some of the best amateur tournaments I've ever been to, and they've started doing pro shows lately too.

I think they're the ones doing this big tournament in OKC in a month. I've a couple friends competing and they're beasts. Check out footage of Jams Patridge, dudes a beast and on the come up. His heelhook game is the best I've ever seen.

he's sorda right in a way. even tho shields has ELITE bjj. i lost mad money on that hector fight, i thought jake was gonna wrestle fuck him but he really doesnt have the best takedowns. its once hes on the ground that he shines.

It couldn't be that Hector is a gorilla with Olympic level judo? Not to mention he was probably juiced to the tits back then?

Shake bless
jake-shields-tracy-lee-580x325.jpg

Shields is an incomplete grappler. Hector threw him so easily at wish. His grappling skills incomplete because he is lacking the Judo/Wrestling of Hector and others. He can only throw strikers. His great ground skills are useless if he cannot win the grappling standing part (for some reasons many people thinks that "grappling" is just the ground game and even BJJ don't put emphasis on the standing grappling).. If he cannot takedown a Judoka/Wrestler then his grappling is useless. The Judo and/or wrestling guy will instead throw you around and not stupid enough to go to the ground for to long with him. BJJ will never beat wrestler/Judo guy if they really use strategy (you will not take me down and i won't go to the ground with you) that simple. Then on the striking department he is not very good he didn't have a chance against Hector.

One example of his BJJ skills being completely taken away was during his title fight at UFC 129.

It couldn't be that Hector is a gorilla with Olympic level judo? Not to mention he was probably juiced to the tits back then?
lol im not even gonna respond to that, i know lombard in real life he trained with my old coach. he's an asshole for the most part but ya like i said i got nothing to say. you got some points.... i still think jake is an elite grappler that really lacks that takedown like gsp has to dominate fights.

You're using Hector Lombard who's world class judoka and was on steroids for god knows how long?

this is so true. just like boxers in mma they cant do shit cuz they cant keep it standing

Damn. Jake is so good. Machida may not be an elite grappler, but this is a solid victory for Shields. It's the first time he has tapped anyone with a leg sub..

How are you going to judge Shields grappling ability by one fight, what about his wins over Woodley, Maia, Dan Henderson and his first round submission of Robbie Lawler. Incomplete grappler because he lost to a super jacked steroid user?

lol im not even gonna respond to that, i know lombard in real life he trained with my old coach. he's an asshole for the most part but ya like i said i got nothing to say. you got some points.... i still think jake is an elite grappler that really lacks that takedown like gsp has to dominate fights.

Lol how many people have GSP's mma power double? Koscheck and maybe a couple more? Ok maybe his TD's aren't of the highest level, but you and the other guy comparing GSP and Lombard is selective and a bit unfair.

You're using Hector Lombard who's world class judoka and was on steroids for god knows how long?
i see where you're coming from but the dude has some points. he's wrong in some things but u guys gotta stop picking and choosing, he actually has some legit points. if jake could take people down like GSP (i never see him having remotely close striking, even tho he did suprinsgly well against GSP) he could be so much more dominant. Yeah lombard was probably juiced i aint gonna go there but still man jake was too back then most likely. Shields is an elite BJJ grappler but he doesnt have the tools to dominate the elite like GSP. They're sorda similar in a way... just GSP is better at everything, where Shields shines at pure BJJ. He's a tough mofo tho man respect to him.

Lol how many people have GSP's mma power double? Koscheck and maybe a couple more? Ok maybe his TD's aren't of the highest level, but you and the other guy comparing GSP and Lombard is selective and a bit unfair.
you're right on that. Gsp is one of a kind. Im just saying he has elite ground game, if he could time his takedowns better and get the fight to the ground, he would be fucking hard to deal with. but you are right man. I argue with dumbass mma fans but you seem informed in what you're talking about so I respect that.

How are you going to judge Shields grappling ability by one fight, what about his wins over Woodley, Maia, Dan Henderson and his first round submission of Robbie Lawler. Incomplete grappler because he lost to a super jacked steroid user?

And that guy has the nerve to call him an incomplete grappler...

i see where you're coming from but the dude has some points. he's wrong in some things but u guys gotta stop picking and choosing, he actually has some legit points. if jake could take people down like GSP (i never see him having remotely close striking, even tho he did suprinsgly well against GSP) he could be so much more dominant. Yeah lombard was probably juiced i aint gonna go there but still man jake was too back then most likely. Shields is an elite BJJ grappler but he doesnt have the tools to dominate the elite like GSP. They're sorda similar in a way... just GSP is better at everything, where Shields shines at pure BJJ. He's a tough mofo tho man respect to him.

We aren't picking and choosing, you guys are. Shields has his strengths and weaknesses like any other fighter, but to call him an incomplete grappler because he had a hard time against Hector Lombard, who's naturally bigger than him, is absurd.

Back