Jake Sheilds should still be in the UFC

Hell yeah he should be. You can just look at how the forums were when he was released. He's a quality fighter and still was when he was dropped. His $120,000 to show(iirc) was definitely a tipping point for Zuffa though to be fair.

That being said I hope he still does well outside the UFC, financially & fight-wise.

If they ever needed to slow down the space/time continuum for some reason, they could have Shields rematch Demian Maia. If North Korea advanced its nuclear program and we needed to lull the entire country to sleep while we enter their country uninvited, we could broadcast Shields wrestling around on the ground with Maia on a giant screen affixed to a blimp passing over their country.

Jake Shields is who Ben Askren watches when he wants to go to sleep.

So, no. I'm not sad to see him gone.

Do you write your own material?

You really shouldn't.

Shields is a fantastic fighter. While I understand the business sense in letting him go, the truth is that he is one of the best of the world and TBH I did appreciate watching him work, however "slow" or imperceivable it may have been.

madness he was cut. true fans appreciate him going against the best mma has to offer

Obvious. Not only him but Fitch and Okami got dicked too by Daddy Dana

Shields is a fantastic fighter. While I understand the business sense in letting him go, the truth is that he is one of the best of the world and TBH I did appreciate watching him work, however "slow" or imperceivable it may have been.

This. Say what you want about the guy, but he still won and got wins over quality opponents.

I completely understand why the UFC cut Jake Shields. He did not make them money. So in that sense I find the cut justified.

That being said, I hate the incentive structure that justifies it. If all, or most, or even just a substantial enough minority of fans wanted to watch guys like Shields he would not have been cut. Or if there were a way to develop a local or national loyalty like we see in league sports that is strong enough to overcome most qualms so long as the athlete gets a win for the city or country.

We are stuck in a situation in which no matter how talented a fighter, if they do not become champ and cannot draw an audience, they are on thin ice. Is it like that in boxing as well?

That's probably my main gripe with Zuffa's business practices. Cutting talent that's in the top 10 of the division takes away a bit from their legitimacy.

He is boring as hell, I wouldnt watch him fight a chicken, it would probably go to a decision anyway.

Obvious. Not only him but Fitch and Okami got dicked too by Daddy Dana

They were not dicked by Dana. They were not watched by fans. If they had fans that wanted to watch them fight Dana would not have fired them. Fact is even those that hate on the UFC were probably not watching these boring fighters fight.

If they ever needed to slow down the space/time continuum for some reason, they could have Shields rematch Demian Maia. If North Korea advanced its nuclear program and we needed to lull the entire country to sleep while we enter their country uninvited, we could broadcast Shields wrestling around on the ground with Maia on a giant screen affixed to a blimp passing over their country.

Jake Shields is who Ben Askren watches when he wants to go to sleep.

So, no. I'm not sad to see him gone.

I was rooting for Shields hard that night, and it may be the only fight in MMA history where I literally got pumped and hyped up from LNP. I would get really psyched whenever Shields rode out top position and scored points, it was funny in retrospect.

He is boring as hell, I wouldnt watch him fight a chicken, it would probably go to a decision anyway.

He's a boring fighter, but I personally enjoy when two "boring grapplers" face off, because it's interesting to see who will be able to impose their will. Shields vs Askren would be cool as shit, for example.

Back