Jake Matthews talks 70,000 stadium show, admits he believed own hype in last fight

PolskiGhost

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Wit the announcement of UFC 193 in Melbourne Australia Etihad Stadium, Submission Radio caught up with Jake Matthews and Dan Kelly at the UFC's media event

[YT]1BYg0oIqW_U[/YT]

Some Quotes:

On the fact that UFC 193 has the capacity to and may attract 70,000 people and being a part of such an event
"I remember when I first started this sport about six years ago, there was always talk about a possible event in Melbourne - maybe not of this magnitude and this size, but that just adds to it."
"It's history in the making, this event. I always hoped I'd be in the UFC and that was always the dream, to be here now and all the hard work's paid off and to be a part of this history changing event. That's the dream for me, and especially to fight in front of a hometown crowd of this size. Your average UFC event, just the atmosphere is amazing, so this is gonna be like ten times the size of your average event. It's gonna be crazy. I can't wait."

On dealing with his first ever professional loss to James Vick and no longer being undefeated
"You use it as fuel and motivation. You don't look back on it and be disappointed. You learn from it and move forward, take what you learn into training. Me and dad were straight back in the hotel room after the fight, and dad said 'what do you want to do?' and I said 'I want you to email Joe Silva and get me another fight as soon as I can'. So that was my mindset after the fight, just to get back in there and redeem myself."
"Losses do happen. I always wanted to be undefeated, but it happened. You learn from it, and like Dan [Kelly] said just move forward."

On if the loss took away any of his confidence
"(laughs) No you'll see the old Jake Matthews. That fight, you know, fighting on a main card and there was a lot of media beforehand. I'm not gonna lie, it got to my head and I had my head up in the clouds and thought I was something a bit more special than what I am. That definitely played a part. You could see I was in there showboating too much and got caught.

If clapping during the fight to get the crowd going took Jake out of the moment and distracted him
"In my fight in Sydney it was a spur of the moment. The crowd cheered and I just clapped along. In the Adelaide fight, it's like I was waiting for that to happen again because some people had mentioned it. So I was waiting for it, trying to play into the crowd too much. But I guarantee that won't happen this time. I won't even notice the crowd, even though it's gonna be a massive crowd with 60 odd thousand people, I won't even take notice of one person.

Source: http://submissionradio.com/jake-mat...ike-ten-times-the-size-of-your-average-event/

I'm really sick of the R3 threads so I'll bump this and say that Jake impressed the hell out of me last Saturday. Got abdly burt, persevered, and opened up some Tito-esque GnP in the 3rd. Excellent cardio, toughness, ground game and stand up from this guy and he's still just a pup.

Mind you, young fighters always seem to peak young too, but I think this guy's got an awesome future at 155. He's gotta get himself a proper Aussie nickname, though.

Yeah, I doubt they're drawing 70,000 at Etihad Stadium, especially at $110+ a ticket. They've never drawn that mucb for any entertainment event at that venue, and MMA isn't that big in Australia yet.

Great Stuff mate cant wait to watch when I get home. I'm really high on Matthews but cant shake the feeling that he has reached his peak as far as training is concerned in Australia. I mean is his dad his head coach still?

Its admirable that he is still taking his uni study seriously but if he wants to go get to the upper levels of the LW division he needs to get himself to a North American camp.

Give Jake a couple of years at Tri-star and I think you would be shocked at his development as a fighter

Yeah, I doubt they're drawing 70,000 at Etihad Stadium, especially at $110+ a ticket. They've never drawn that mucb for any entertainment event at that venue, and MMA isn't that big in Australia yet.

Do we know prices yet though? I thought they would have a shit ton of $40-$60 seats in the nosebleeds to try to fill it up?

Don't know why the fuck he went for that takedown in his last fight. At least he's young. He'll learn and comeback.

I am very curious to see how this show sells. Its gonna be quite the experience for Robbie and Condit, they've been in the sport for over a decade but nothing can compare to fighting in front of that many people

Back