Jake Mackenzie:"Rio is still way ahead of So Cal in terms of BJJ level."

The main point of Jake's argument is that while a lot of top BJJ players have opened schools in CA? They don't produce top level grapplers other than themselves, yet.

While you have teams in Brazil with 20 really good blackbelts on the mat every class, all working towards winning medals.

Eventually CA will get to that level and probably beyond it, but it'll take

Yeah, this really is the key. Sure, great instruction is where it starts, but that can really only get you so far. Great training partners is the next step and LA (or anywhere else for that matter) just isn't there yet.

Dude please stop posting in this thread. You are going to dig yourself deeper than you have already. Let it go, you made a mistake, let it go.

Ahh sherdog.. Sometimes I forget that not knowing every black belt bjj-er is a bigger "mistake" than calling someone an offensive name like retard. Shame on me

Truthfully I only posted a reply to your post because you said "don't post". ;) Don't worry I will never comment on what you say going forward. Good luck with all things and your training.

Yeah, this really is the key. Sure, great instruction is where it starts, but that can really only get you so far. Great training partners is the next step and LA (or anywhere else for that matter) just isn't there yet.

Renzo's in nyc is probably as good as anywhere in Brazil in terms of instruction & training partners.

I agree, and although I was sarcastically referencing it earlier in the thread, it really just comes down to time. BJJ has only been around Southern California for ~20 years now. 10 more years and we'll have a lot more black belts on the mats everywhere (including me hopefully).

Disagree, only because the best of the best from Brazil have all moved to the US already because there isn't enough money to be made from jiu-jitsu in Brazil.

You would be surprised by the sheer amount of world level grapplers living in Brazil that you would never of heard of unless you have lived there yourself.

Many of them can't afford to go to other countries to compete or have no interest in doing so.

I'm guessing training in a place like the GFT gyms in Rio would be like training at the training camps you normally get for the big teams just before the worlds but all year round.

What I found interesting about training in Rio was the difference between their competition guys and their recreational guys. Their competition guys are phenomenal but their recreational guys on average to be less skilful as guys in other countries.

Dude please stop posting in this thread. You are going to dig yourself deeper than you have already. Let it go, you made a mistake, let it go.

Ahh sherdog.. Sometimes I forget that not knowing every black belt bjj-er is a bigger "mistake" than calling someone an offensive name like retard. Shame on me

Truthfully I only posted a reply to your post because you said "don't post". ;) Don't worry I will never comment on what you say going forward. Good luck with all things and your training.

Lol, I said stop replying dude. I never called you a retard. These guys won't stop and it seems like you want to keep arguing. It's like hitting your head on the wall repeatedly. Or feeding more fuel to the fire. Seems like I hurt your feelers. That was not my intention. I never said stop posting forever. I said stop posting in this thread.

What I found interesting about training in Rio was the difference between their competition guys and their recreational guys. Their competition guys are phenomenal but their recreational guys on average to be less skilful as guys in other countries.

That's interesting, but I guess it's more like judo and other better-established martial arts in most places. You have guys who are competitive, who tend to be absolute killers, and then other guys who are just pretty recreational. In the US, BJJ still tends to be more in the middle ... guys are intense enthusiasts, with less pure competitors and ironically also less pure recreation guys.

That's interesting, but I guess it's more like judo and other better-established martial arts in most places. You have guys who are competitive, who tend to be absolute killers, and then other guys who are just pretty recreational. In the US, BJJ still tends to be more in the middle ... guys are intense enthusiasts, with less pure competitors and ironically also less pure recreation guys.

I disagree, we need to visit a lot of gyms (not only in Brazil but in general) to say something based on that then we can have a conclusion. Recreational guys have the duty to give proper training for those who compete at tournaments. This is how it works here in S

I imagine if bjj was less costly to train here that there'd be a bigger pool of practioners.

I imagine if bjj was less costly to train here that there'd be a bigger pool of practioners.

I agree with this as well. In fact, if you take a look at this link, you'll see that the average monthly fee for a BJJ school in Rio is around $83.

http://www.riojiujitsuguide.com/the-true-price-of-jiu-jitsu-in-rio-de-janeiro/

Hopefully there will be enough BJJ black belts over the next decade or so to cause a surplus that will reduce the market price out here.

I remember when the acai craze was just starting. It was way before BJJ started getting popular. I was hustling acai Mona Vie bottles. Was like fine non-alcoholic fruity wine.

I had MonaVie before, I worked with Calvin Becerra in the past. Haha, interesting company, to say the least... they really know how to get the subculture going. Plus, their juice is actually really good, despite 2oz being the biggest tease of a dose. That said, I was into Acai before mainstream BJJ too. I had an Acai smoothie at Juice It Up and I was addicted since :p

That is what you get for having more students and quality instructors. Rio is 999 times below USA in terms of wrestling.

I have never trained in So Ca, but from my experience in Rio, the BJJ differs greatly from academy to academy.

There is much more advanced practicioners here per square foot in terms of BJJ, especially at some of the JJ specific gyms like Humaita, Gordo, and Gracie Barra.

That said, I think the jiu jitsu skills in the states has reached parity with the Rio easily, there are just less practioners.

I agree with this as well. In fact, if you take a look at this link, you'll see that the average monthly fee for a BJJ school in Rio is around $83.

http://www.riojiujitsuguide.com/the-true-price-of-jiu-jitsu-in-rio-de-janeiro/

Hopefully there will be enough BJJ black belts over the next decade or so to cause a surplus that will reduce the market price out here.

If it's really $83/month in US dollars, then that is actually close to most schools in the US as a percentage of income spent. The per capita GDP of Rio on Wikipedia is only like $11,786. The per capita GDP for a place like LA is about twice that.

So adjusting as a percentage of income, spending that much feels like spending $166/month in America. That is probably pretty close to average cost in a big city.

If it's really $83/month in US dollars, then that is actually close to most schools in the US as a percentage of income spent. The per capita GDP of Rio on Wikipedia is only like $11,786. The per capita GDP for a place like LA is about twice that.

So adjusting as a percentage of income, spending that much feels like spending $166/month in America. That is probably pretty close to average cost in a big city.

Maybe its the price specifically for us Americans? Hah, but yeah that sounds a bit pricey for the average Brazilian.

damn, okay then:

I train in a place that my college owns, so being a student you pay 10 Reais (5 dollars) a month.
If you're not a student you pay 80 Reais (40 dollars) a month.

But i've trained in Rio also, there I paid 120 Reais (60 dollars) a month.

as an extra, if you guys are so curious about prices around the world, I trained at Roger Gracie's academy once, and I paid around 20 dollars for 2 training sessions.

Ey yo look at the prices that DiFeco listed, holy shiet!

Back