Jake Mackenzie:"Rio is still way ahead of So Cal in terms of BJJ level."

Wow Hillary I'm surprised you go in with the retard comment. The other guy, I'm not surprised. Respect and sherdog dont go hand in hand

I don't know this guy and I agree that rio is above la for bjj but la is above Canada and the rest of the world in bjj. If I am a retard for saying that. So be it

Wow Hillary I'm surprised you go in with the retard comment. The other guy, I'm not surprised. Respect and sherdog dont go hand in hand

I don't know this guy and I agree that rio is above la for bjj but la is above Canada and the rest of the world in bjj. If I am a retard for saying that. So be it

You're a retard for trying to disregard a respected black belts opinion because he's Canadian and thinks Rio is better than California for top level BJJ.

Your logic was that of a retard.

Disagree, only because the best of the best from Brazil have all moved to the US already because there isn't enough money to be made from jiu-jitsu in Brazil.

You know I meant juice as in natural smoothies and juice. They add protein but that's it.

Not sure about the grass fed meat but when I came back to the states I couldn't stomach our food here for about a week

Hah I was responding to KarateFist as well. Can't go wrong with fresh exotic fruit juice. Grass fed beef is a big difference. We primarily get cows pumped with unknown stuff.

I think we have better nutrition in terms of availability and ability to afford it. Comparitively to the majority. Food wise, meh I know many of our peoples are obese.

Have you SEEN the color of their Acai bowls? It's black.

Ours is purple :(

Hahaha, I kid though.

Have you SEEN the color of their Acai bowls? It's black.

Ours is purple :(

Hahaha, I kid though.

I remember when the acai craze was just starting. It was way before BJJ started getting popular. I was hustling acai Mona Vie bottles. Was like fine non-alcoholic fruity wine.

So some canadian dude..not from Rio or LA..says that Rio is a higher level of BJJ than LA?

Now, its true..but I bet LA is much father ahead of wherever he is from in canada than rio is ahead of LA. LA is the best place outside of Rio to train BJJ. Had a authenic brazilian said that I would have no problem. Who is this guy?

No shit. He's from Truro fucking Nova Scotia. It is the backwater of a backwater. You can still get milk delivered there. it's a time warp.

Yet somehow the guy has pursued jiu jitsu to the point that he is a world-class competitive black belt.

And to do that he has traveled a lot. So he might have something to say about the respective level of jiu jitsu in different places, y'know? And these days, he is mostly training in Rio.

Also - "who is this guy?"

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/jake-mackenzie

He's also one of the guys Ryan Hall credits with helping to develop his half guard game - which is a pretty good endorsement, don'tchathink?

And since I live in the backwater he is from (Nova Scotia, though not (shudder,) Truro,) I can tell you how important it is that guys like him come home regularly and are generous enough to show the techniques they've learned abroad. This is is crucial to the spread of jiu jitsu worldwide.

Finally, your post says "LA is the best place to train outside Rio," which is almost exactly the same as agreeing with the quote in the thread title.

I'm not going to call you a retard, but your post was sort of ignorant and poorly-conceived.

Last edited:
So some canadian dude..not from Rio or LA..says that Rio is a higher level of BJJ than LA?

Now, its true..but I bet LA is much father ahead of wherever he is from in canada than rio is ahead of LA. LA is the best place outside of Rio to train BJJ. Had a authenic brazilian said that I would have no problem. Who is this guy?

If you haven't been to either Cali or Brazil you shouldn't be chiming in either.

It's Roberto Cyborg, he's among the top players and coaches out there. The best coaching is wherever the best coaches are you get to learn from.

The main point of Jake's argument is that while a lot of top BJJ players have opened schools in CA? They don't produce top level grapplers other than themselves, yet.

While you have teams in Brazil with 20 really good blackbelts on the mat every class, all working towards winning medals.

Eventually CA will get to that level and probably beyond it, but it'll take

I hadn't a clue that roids are easy to come by down there. If so, no wonder guys look so huge yet say they can't afford to eat hah. Geez peeps I meant normal nutrition.

who in the hell told you that you cannot eat properly in brazil? if anything, the food in the US is got to be the worst around the globe... I gained 20 pounds in one year in the states, and I was eating much less than in my country (paraguay) (and in both I was eating the same kind of junk food) there something in the food that makes you go fat as fuck, that is the experience of every single person I know that went to the states... eating heathly is just really a choice, speacially in southamerica.... Now, supplements and stuff, Its way cheaper for americans than for us southamericans, so you get the nod there, in terms of roids, well, its pretty accessible, but I think the quality overall in the states is way better...

who in the hell told you that you cannot eat properly in brazil? if anything, the food in the US is got to be the worst around the globe... I gained 20 pounds in one year in the states, and I was eating much less than in my country (paraguay) (and in both I was eating the same kind of junk food) there something in the food that makes you go fat as fuck, that is the experience of every single person I know that went to the states... eating heathly is just really a choice, speacially in southamerica.... Now, supplements and stuff, Its way cheaper for americans than for us southamericans, so you get the nod there, in terms of roids, well, its pretty accessible, but I think the quality overall in the states is way better...

You do realize not everyone is Brazil is wealthy right? We're talking about a South American country, not Switzerland.

You do realize not everyone is Brazil is wealthy right? We're talking about a South American country, not Switzerland.

you do realize that southamerica is like the biggest food supplier of the world? yo do realize that while brazil isnt switzerland, is growing pretty fast, and that not everyone doing jiu jitsu its poor.... You do not need to be wealthy to eat in brazil or most southamerican countries, and I do realize because I live in southamerica, right beside brazil, my country is way poorer than brazil and even we dont have food problems...

I can say with extreme pride that I haven't called a person a "retard" since I was 16 years old. Fortunately for me my mother was in earshot and she called me out ans taught me a lesson. Haven't used the word since. For those of you who still do, that's your biz/upbringing. I'm sorta embarassed for you but thats my pov

Once again I do agree that LA is the best place in the world outside of Rio to train. I just think thats quite a feat and I don't need to restate how far la is ahead of Canada. Maybe if he tossed that in, id have nothing to say. For what that's worth. I'm sure this blackbelt dude is awesome at bjj. Good for him. I'm a proud angeleno and maybe I defend the city too much.

Last edited:
You're a retard for trying to disregard a respected black belts opinion because he's Canadian and thinks Rio is better than California for top level BJJ.

Your logic was that of a retard.

Umm..I think the first line of my post was that I agree. So I think you might be jumping the gun dude.

Umm..I think the first line of my post was that I agree. So I think you might be jumping the gun dude.

Dude please stop posting in this thread. You are going to dig yourself deeper than you have already. Let it go, you made a mistake, let it go.

Also, good food in South America is relatively inexpensive and really good. The beef is grass fed and the food is just fresh and good. Hopefully Monsanto doesn't go down there and fuck it up.

I have visited Argentina, but I believe that Brazil has the same quality or maybe better than Argentina. So all you people saying Brazilians are poor it doesn't take a whole bunch of money to eat good quality food there.

Back