Jake Mackenzie deciding factor at Brazilian Team Championships!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Hillary, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

Plus one for the gringos!

Source: Gracie Mag

Alliance wins at heavy; foreigner helps GFTeam beat Atos
    by Marcelo Dunlop

2. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

Great work! I actaully plan to head down to Nova Geracao someday soon and possibly make a stop off in Miami for a month or more after. With the apartments above Fight Sports it makes it pretty easy.

Hey Hillary, whats the relationship between Nova Geracao and GFTeam? I assumed Cyborgs students would compete under the NG/BJJ Revolution banner in Brazil. Does NG also field a team in the larger Brazilian tournaments?

Thanks!

3. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

Wow thats awesome.

Read about that on Graciemag.

4. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

Nova Geracao is officially Cyborg's team, headed by Toco Albuquerque. Toco is olllld school as is Julio Cesar, GFTeam's founder. They are old friends from back in the day.

Last year I trained at GFTeam during the day and Nova Geracao at night for safety reasons--I didn't like going to GFTeam's area past sundown. I was open about it, both instructors supported my decision and often told me to send hugs to the other (the Brazilian equivalent of "tell him I said hi."). They've even come together to compete the Team Championships in the past (2002 and 2003, I think).

Nova Geracao is a great team, and absolutely fantastic for training, but Jake has reached a point in his career where he needs to be surrounded by competitive jiu jitsu athletes. NG is now more MMA focused as far as competition goes (less of a BJJ scene, but the BJJ classes are full and great!) while GFTeam has one of the nastiest active lightweight team in Brazil. I remember training there and doing twelve seven-minute rounds and never once rolling with anyone under black belt or over 165 pounds. It's like my heaven.

Between Denilson Pimenta, Theodoro Canal, Tanquinho (technically soul fighters, but they train there), and so many others...GFTeam's training is insane. The day training has little to no technique (you work positions at night and before class on your own) taught, you just roll for two and a half hours. Julio mandates 10 rounds if you're not feeling great, 15 or more if you plan on competing. It's sick.

Jake is still Cyborg BJJ, but for the team competitions he was asked to help GFTeam's A-Group--which is a remarkable honor.

5. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

GF Team members trained up at Easton BJJ in Denver/Boulder for a couple months recently. The guys were complete animals technically and physically. I look forward to seeing their progress at the upcoming Worlds event in November.

Congrats to them for putting on such a strong performance and edging out Atos.

To everyone on the forum: Keep an eye out for GF Team.

6. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Subs for later

7. pctitans

pctitans White Belt

Awesome Jake is a beast!

8. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

Toco is awesome and hilarious.

9. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

10. codysweet02