Jake Ellenberger's Fight IQ.

Jake has KO power in spades but doesn't always know how to apply it or make it work for him. I also have seen one too many Ellenberger fights where we're promised an action packed fight and Jake ends up hesitating and not knowing how to take the fight to his opponent. That said, if he catches you with a clean hook you're toast. He's got SCARY power.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/rory-going-outbox-ellenberger-2440653/

I stated it would happen before they fought. Ellenberger's striking never has been that good, he just has a decent variety of strikes he can throw and flurries well. When you have the kind of power Ellenberger has, you can get away with not having good boxing technique for a long time.

Problem is, Rory could box.

Same thing with Lawler. He can box. Ellenberger doesn't have much of a jab and loves his right hand though, so he might have more success against Lawler due to the open guard (southpaw vs orthodox), but Lawler is still a much more high level boxer. He uses feints, moves his head well after he throws, sets up his big punches, etc etc. Those are all things Ellenberger does at a minimal level. It CLEARLY cost him against Rory.

Pretty much agree. Except Ellenberger has real good footwork. Ellenberger slipped jabs that Rory just threw as "feelers" but when Rory timed his jabs he was getting hit at will. I just think he hasn't really faced someone with a real good jab and didn't know what to do. He didn't "freeze" imo.

He didn't freeze up, he was just confronted with a skill that he had no answer for. Fighters aren't exactly capable of just doing anything as much as we might like them to, and Jake Ellenberger could never draw Rory into one of those running bombs because he is a very limited fighter.

I'd be surprised if the dude gets as far as a title shot, honestly.
Pretty much agree. Except Ellenberger has real good footwork.
Eh, he covers distance in a straight line very quickly but that's pretty much it. His footwork is about as good as Hendricks's or in other words, not very.

I've never seen him use any defensive footwork techniques effectively: he seemingly does not pivot or side-step.

He didn't freeze up, he was just confronted with a skill that he had no answer for. Fighters aren't exactly capable of just doing anything as much as we might like them to, and Jake Ellenberger could never draw Rory into one of those running bombs because he is a very limited fighter.

I'd be surprised if the dude gets as far as a title shot, honestly.Eh, he covers distance in a straight line very quickly but that's pretty much it. His footwork is about as good as Hendricks's or in other words, not very.

I've never seen him use any defensive footwork techniques effectively: he seemingly does not pivot or side-step.

I remember looking at some gifs about it and an article on berger. If you look at how he fought Rory there was a lot of instances where he was using unorthodox footwork. I remember him using a lead mid round kick disguised by footwork, when he switched stances and leaded with the right, and that blitz. Ill look for that article

I remember looking at some gifs about it and an article on berger. If you look at how he fought Rory there was a lot of instances where he was using unorthodox footwork. I remember him using a lead mid round kick disguised by footwork, when he switched stances and leaded with the right, and that blitz. Ill look for that article
Yeah I'd be interested in reading it. Showing a few tricks here and there is a different story from playing an actual game out of them though.

Yeah I'd be interested in reading it. Showing a few tricks here and there is a different story from playing an actual game out of them though.

I can't really find it but it talks about how he's a brawler with a few technical quirks and how he cuts angles. Kind of interested what Edmond has done with berger in his layoff

Last edited:
A no-show in a possible title eliminator is pretty bad. He didn't get beat up or knocked out, he just didn't have the heart to have a go, or the fight IQ to figure out that he needed to change up early.

It's not as of Rory was mixing up his attack or anything!

All these guys do is train, train, TRAIN!

This training includes countless hours of sparring which undoubtedly place him in situations which he will encounter in an actual bout.

I've always wondered about some of these camps/fighters who claim they followed a "gameplan" flawlessly after they've won a fight.

Can anyone really discard the possibility that "The Juggernaut" had a bad night...or maybe even was involved in a match which stylistically didn't favor him?

He looked awful against Rory, just sitting back doing nothing most of the fight. He has never looked like that before, and I expect him to come full force this Saturday night throwing everything he has.

Back