Jake Ellenberger's Fight IQ.

He respected Rory's standup way too much in that fight.

Am I the only one who thinks Roy Nelson is fat?

Am I the only one who thinks Jon Jones is camp?

Am I the only one who thinks Cain is American?

Am I the only one who think Connor is a compete tool?

I think Jake will look a ton better, but Lawler is a bad stylistic match up. It sucks one of them has to lose.

Im hoping Ellenberger takes this Ill be making 100$ profit if he wins.

Would anyone question the "Juggernaut's" "Fight IQ" if he had mounted you and was punching your face in?

"Fight IQ". :rolleyes:

I reckon every fighter's "Fight IQ" hovers around 180 just before they get punched in the grill!

Would anyone question the "Juggernaut's" "Fight IQ" if he had mounted you and was punching your face in?

I reckon every fighter's "Fight IQ" hovers around 180 just before they get punched in the grill!

I questioned it when he was punching himself out against Kampmann.
But then again, I question most fighters who don't let a rocket opponent
stand back up on their feet. But what the fuck do I know?

Yeah, or their fight IQ is 180 until they try to win a fight by blocking Rory's jab with their face for the entire fight.

I remember reading something in an interview leading up to the Rory fight where Ellenberger said something about not watching tape on Rory and he was just gonna focus on what he was doing. Ellenberger came in a little blind to how Rory would fight him and he kind of froze. A fighter with a higher ring IQ could have adapted more or not been unprepared in the first place.

He also seems very focused on pacing himself nowadays. When he finds an openings he explodes and goes for the kill. Against guys that are harder to hit he's going to have problems because due to his build his cardio is going to fizzle out as the fight goes on. Not just guys who're hard to hit, but punchers like Robbie Lawler who he isn't just going to swing for the fences against.

I bet vcash on Jake just because he's an underdog but I'm expecting Lawler to win unless Jake has a good gameplan with some TD's.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/rory-going-outbox-ellenberger-2440653/

I stated it would happen before they fought. Ellenberger's striking never has been that good, he just has a decent variety of strikes he can throw and flurries well. When you have the kind of power Ellenberger has, you can get away with not having good boxing technique for a long time.

Problem is, Rory could box.

Same thing with Lawler. He can box. Ellenberger doesn't have much of a jab and loves his right hand though, so he might have more success against Lawler due to the open guard (southpaw vs orthodox), but Lawler is still a much more high level boxer. He uses feints, moves his head well after he throws, sets up his big punches, etc etc. Those are all things Ellenberger does at a minimal level. It CLEARLY cost him against Rory.

Holy crap what a Nostradamus moment lol. But I guess as you said, some technical knowledge would make it clear that it would happen. I do not have any knowledge on boxing so I thought Jake was going to bum rush Rory and beat him.

I just want Ellenberger to win :icon_sad:

Holy crap what a Nostradamus moment lol. But I guess as you said, some technical knowledge would make it clear that it would happen. I do not have any knowledge on boxing so I thought Jake was going to bum rush Rory and beat him.

I just want Ellenberger to win :icon_sad:

And that's fair.

Ellenberger is great when guys go straight back. Before Condit mastered circling out (as in the notorious Diaz fight), he would go straight back. And Ellenberger punished him for it.

Ellenberger is also pretty dangerous when people step in on him to exchange. So if Robbie starts stepping in without setups, looking for onl big punches, then I can see Ellenberger catching him.

Am I the only one that questions Jake Ellenberger's fight IQ? It looked like he froze up in the Rory fight. Not to mention he should have easily won his fight with Kampmann. I think he puts too much stock into his stand-up & strays away from his break & butter way too much.

If he were to fight smart Saturday, I could easily see him UDing Robbie. He could take him down & control him on the ground. I just get the feeling he doesn't wanna do that. I feel like he'll make the mistake of standing with & juggernaut like Lawler.

VICE Fightland just published this story about Ellenberger. Looks like he's taking his mental preparation way more seriously since the MacDonald fight.

Check it: http://fightland.vice.com/blog/inside-the-psychology-of-jake-ellenberger

I guess a fighter can't have a bad night?

A no-show in a possible title eliminator is pretty bad. He didn't get beat up or knocked out, he just didn't have the heart to have a go, or the fight IQ to figure out that he needed to change up early.

It's not as of Rory was mixing up his attack or anything!

Am I the only one that questions Jake Ellenberger's fight IQ? It looked like he froze up in the Rory fight. Not to mention he should have easily won his fight with Kampmann. I think he puts too much stock into his stand-up & strays away from his break & butter way too much.

If he were to fight smart Saturday, I could easily see him UDing Robbie. He could take him down & control him on the ground. I just get the feeling he doesn't wanna do that. I feel like he'll make the mistake of standing with & juggernaut like Lawler.

Did you just call lawler a juggernaut? Funny since ellenbergers nickname is the juggernaut

After knocking out Shields, Ellenberger has strayed away from his wrestling. He needs to get back to it and at least attempt one in every round.

Back