Jake Ellenberger's Fight IQ.

SuperBadAzz

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Am I the only one that questions Jake Ellenberger's fight IQ? It looked like he froze up in the Rory fight. Not to mention he should have easily won his fight with Kampmann. I think he puts too much stock into his stand-up & strays away from his break & butter way too much.

If he were to fight smart Saturday, I could easily see him UDing Robbie. He could take him down & control him on the ground. I just get the feeling he doesn't wanna do that. I feel like he'll make the mistake of standing with & juggernaut like Lawler.

He was awful in the Rory fight but he beats Lawler whenever the fight happens. Cant see him doing what he did in the Rory fight again.

am i the only one who am i the only one who am i the only one who am i the only one who

He was awful in the Rory fight but he beats Lawler whenever the fight happens. Cant see him doing what he did in the Rory fight again.

I got Lawler by TKO

Lawler got better stand up and it's 3 rounds

I got Lawler by TKO

Lawler got better stand up and it's 3 rounds

Well I like Lawler and stopped supporting Jake after that pathetic performance so I wouldn't mind if Lawler did win but I think Jake stalls it to a UD.

I've never honestly been THAT impressed with Ellenberger. Besides Shields he's never beat anyone overly impressive and his striking gets MADLY overhyped. He punches hard but he's never been that refined of a striker. If he doesn't blitz a guy early his striking looks pretty average.

I think he's just not as good as some people like to think he is frankly. It was painfully obvious he wasn't going to get past Rory's jab since he's never shown any kind of movement worth a damn. But people keep thinking his power will always carry the day.

Always makes me laugh when we question a fighters 'fight IQ,' but never his actual IQ. Some of these guys are just meat heads. They aren't sitting around doing quantum physics equations in their spare time and then suddenly having a case of 'low fight IQ' when they're forced to think on their feet in the cage.

Some of these guys, not all, just aren't smart enough to figure out how to deal with an opponent who's giving them trouble mid-fight.

I think Lawler and Ellenberger have questionable fight IQ at times tbh

Well I like Lawler and stopped supporting Jake after that pathetic performance so I wouldn't mind if Lawler did win but I think Jake stalls it to a UD.

Lawler looked pretty bad against Babalu and even admitted to not having any form of a game plan after the fight. Did you stop being a fan of his after that?

Lawler looked pretty bad against Babalu and even admitted to not having any form of a game plan after the fight. Did you stop being a fan of his after that?

No because I didn't lose any money then.

Jake's stand-up is deficient in variety, defense, and pacing. Were he to mix up his attack, tighten up his guard, and pick his shots instead of loading up on power punches, he would avoid damage, avoid getting winded, and maybe even win more fights.

I've never honestly been THAT impressed with Ellenberger. Besides Shields he's never beat anyone overly impressive and his striking gets MADLY overhyped. He punches hard but he's never been that refined of a striker. If he doesn't blitz a guy early his striking looks pretty average.

I think he's just not as good as some people like to think he is frankly. It was painfully obvious he wasn't going to get past Rory's jab since he's never shown any kind of movement worth a damn. But people keep thinking his power will always carry the day.

Ah the old "he was never that good" argument. It was so painfully obvious that the stinker Rory and Jake were a part of would happen that everyone called that the real main event of that card.

I think jake takes this fight. he fucked up/choked in the Rory fight, he has admitted that. I'm confident he actually shows up Saturday

Ellenberger is the caucasion welterweight Melvin Guillard. He shows flashes of explosive greatness then he also freezes up at times in fights. You never know which one will show up.

I'm more concerned about his actual IQ. Thinks Ronda can hang with men in the UFC.

Ah the old "he was never that good" argument. It was so painfully obvious that the stinker Rory and Jake were a part of would happen that everyone called that the real main event of that card.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/rory-going-outbox-ellenberger-2440653/

I stated it would happen before they fought. Ellenberger's striking never has been that good, he just has a decent variety of strikes he can throw and flurries well. When you have the kind of power Ellenberger has, you can get away with not having good boxing technique for a long time.

Problem is, Rory could box.

Same thing with Lawler. He can box. Ellenberger doesn't have much of a jab and loves his right hand though, so he might have more success against Lawler due to the open guard (southpaw vs orthodox), but Lawler is still a much more high level boxer. He uses feints, moves his head well after he throws, sets up his big punches, etc etc. Those are all things Ellenberger does at a minimal level. It CLEARLY cost him against Rory.

Ellenberger states that Ronda can compete in the men's UFC divisions - that should end all questions as to his IQ, or lack thereof.

*Yes, I beat that dead horse.*

Ellenberger arguably gave Condit his hardest fight.
Even up to this point...

It's the hardest fight to call on the card, for me.
But I'm going with Ellenberger by brutal KO in a wild exchange
early in the fight. I love Lawler and could obviously be completely
wrong. But I feel like Ellenberger could KO a gorilla if he lands correctly
and wouldnt be surprised that a willing gun slinger like Ruthless could
play right into that possibility.

Back