JacksonWink financial woes: tryouts $40, train with Holly $20; in bed with dodgy app CageHunter

It’s funny I never really thought about it too much but a lot of gyms for the head trainer’s it’s probably pretty boring. Because he can’t make an entire living just on guys you train exclusively. So you have to deal with the boredom Of private training sessions with these goofballs that walk in off the street to make a living among other things. Unless you are wealthy enough to get somebody to do it all for you.

If you're doing it right it shouldn't be boring. Part of your job is studying martial arts and developing strategies and techniques to counter what's currently successful. No way that's boring

I got some connections, for instance you could start with writing up a Bellator or UFC event. But no insinuations. You go too far, could be classed as libel.
I was wondering - are there already too many event write ups? I considered writing from a different perspective in an effort to cut through the saturation of YouTubers doing a fight preview. Surely people prefer Jimmy Smith or similar established person/podcast for an event review?

Regarding libel, I've no desire to cast unfair allegations. I feel it's important to challenge conventional thinking, and frankly on Sherdog it's always one part healthy debate / one half Wood replies. So it seems most respectful of the audience to cater to both crowds.

Who do they have these days besides Holm and Jones?

Seems like everyone left there.

Very thorough and interesting post.

Cerrone also said that JacksonWink's main wrestling coach is a receptionist to the chiropractor upstairs, who's credentials were a junior assistant coach at some no-name college where he got fired for selling the students steroids and gets his curriculum off YouTube videos for techniques that don't work in MMA <Lmaoo>. And they also don't drill, they just go live all the time (and Cerrone poses the question of why they're surprised that their rate of injury has gone up in the gym).
Thanks for your feedback... Appreciate the support

I remember being stunned listening to Cowboy detail how bullshit everything had gotten. Since then, I've been Betting against that Camp. Working quite well!

Careful, TS. It's bad enough you average 15 posts per day. Make more like your OP and Sherdog will start charging you for bandwidth.
Thanks for keeping me honest. I got into the habit of replying to the kind souls who took the effort to post comments

I remember being stunned
I always considered that gym overrated; they were great at recruiting individuals with talent, and developing gameplans based around winning decisions. As soon as more MMA gyms started opening up and they had more competition with recruiting, they quickly lost their shine, made only worse when Wink came on board given his cookie cutter style of coaching (Jones, Holm, Condit all look the same standing up).

I'll might be the only one Who took Time to Read all this.

But damn... Really ?

View attachment 505059

Jack/Wink was the mecca of MMA gym just a decade ago...

Now I get why most of their elite went elsewhere...
I'm with ya bro. I wish I could put something like that together.

I always considered that gym overrated; they were great at recruiting individuals with talent, and developing gameplans based around winning decisions. As soon as more MMA gyms started opening up and they had more competition with recruiting, they quickly lost their shine, made only worse when Wink came on board given his cookie cutter style of coaching (Jones, Holm, Condit all look the same standing up).

Good summary... no doubt the success they yielded was always surprising and likely unsustainable...

I remember watching UFC cards where 4/5 of the main event fights featured at least 1x fighter represented by Greg Jackson ... he was the Ali A of his day.
Dana go so pissed off with the prolific nature of Jackson he started berating him for pushing a Point-based win style, as opposed to "just bleed until CTE" style that Forrest Grififn/Bonnar popularised.

I'm with ya bro. I wish I could put something like that together.
assuming you are referring to my post, thank you! i stumbled on this particular line of investigation by accident, but my brain is heavily driven towards analysis, so it typically scurries into the corners of most situations looking for everything down to the ridiculously small details. i also had a research job that honed my Googlin' skills.

Who do they have these days besides Holm and Jones?

Seems like everyone left there.

they got the next big thing Platty Mike Perry ?!?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I was wondering - are there already too many event write ups? I considered writing from a different perspective in an effort to cut through the saturation of YouTubers doing a fight preview. Surely people prefer Jimmy Smith or similar established person/podcast for an event review?

Regarding libel, I've no desire to cast unfair allegations. I feel it's important to challenge conventional thinking, and frankly on Sherdog it's always one part healthy debate / one half Wood replies. So it seems most respectful of the audience to cater to both crowds.
Regarding the concept of there being "too many" event write ups, or too many anything MMA, there is a VERY short supply of QUALITY MMA coverage, especially when it comes to break downs and analysis.

There is plenty of room for quality material if you think you can be a legitimate content provider. Personally I really enjoy the YouTube video breakdowns of a guy called "the Weasle", who does excellent film study and technical analysis both pre-fight and post fight, I also love the channel "Rumny's corner" which is a boxing YT channel. If you could provide consistent material of that level I would follow. I am certain that it would take a very sizable amount of hours of study and hard work to do that.

Good luck. As with most things in life, if you work harder than everyone else, things will probably work out for you.

The gym sounds shady as fuck. They are living off a legacy, and it’s evaporating rapidly.

<45><45><45>

Why holly gotta be the go to whore? <Lmaoo>
Exactly - even if you can somehow excuse the lack of professionalism, dodgy business relationships... even if you can deny the fall from grace...

...why aren't they using Jon Jones like they are using Holly Holm?
is it because Holly is a woman?
is this a case of selling sex appeal?
... we don't have enough information to say... but it doesn't look good...

If you're doing it right it shouldn't be boring. Part of your job is studying martial arts and developing strategies and techniques to counter what's currently successful. No way that's boring

Well I imagine that it is boring on a Tuesday morning when a scrub walks in who has never thrown a punch before but has money to spend.

Well I imagine that it is boring on a Tuesday morning when a scrub walks in who has never thrown a punch before but has money to spend.
Delegate fundamentals to advanced students. They'll get the opportunity to develop as instructors. Sure there's gruntwork in gym ownership, as there is in anything, but as a coach, you're steering the what could be a dynamic and intellectually stimulating ship, and not just corralling the meathead heard... And often times you prolly get to bang the hot students.

Let's also consider the angle of FIGHTER SAFETY: They are announcing where a famous fighter will be at a specific time and offering them a chance to get into close physical proximity with her. I know she's tough - but what if some nutbag brings a weapon to class?!?

What if her husband shows up?!?! "Drop ins are welcome but space is limited" ...

Holly should not be this available to the general public
Similar thing with pre fight public workouts. Surely many of Holly's large skilled teammates will be there in case. I doubt she's getting paid anything for it, but still does it to help coach's wife's charity.

Do want but I don't feel like travelling, how much do they charge for a Holly Holm outcall?

Back