Jackson Fighters Lack Simple Boxing Techniques

jthatdude

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
After watching Cotto/Martinez, I got to thinking where are jabs, feints, combos, cutting of angles, proper movement on offense or defense for the Jackson fighters? Seems all the Jackson fighters, winners or losers, on tonight's card only throw 1 shot at a time. Anybody else notice this and think Jackson fighters lack simple boxing Techniques?

Edit: Thought I'd bring this thread back to life after the Reem Ko. Also changed the title.

Last edited:
Some do. it's just the guys on tonights card had different styles. Khabilov is more of a grappling based fighter. Dodson is can throw combos and shows good angles but prefers to really just set up that one big shot. Diego is a brawler. Perez is a grappler, etc

There definitely are some capable strikers at that camp. Cub Swanson, Condit and Arlovski just to name a few

he tries to teach them but his accent makes understanding him too difficult so they just nod there heads.

Dude, it's not boxing. 95% of fighters in the UFC don't use jabs, feints, angles, movement, etc. It's a different sport.

Martinez vs Cotto was hard to watch. Sucks when your body quits on you. :(

Where are jabs, feints, combos, cutting of angles, proper movement on offense or defense for MMA fighters in general?

Cub trains at a boxing club though.
Winkeljohn is not really about boxing exchanges, he favors an in an out style, looking to land big shots and get away, find openings and take advantage, and using timing and unpredictability to catch the opponent.
Boxing is not the only way to fight in MMA, you're probably right, they might get benefited with better boxing fundamentals, but at the end of the day, that's the style of the camp.

lol and the UFC also lacks K-1 level striking...and Olympic level wrestling...and it lacks World Class Jiujitsu. Why can't these fighters be doing all of these things perfectly..derp.

Dude, it's not boxing. 95% of fighters in the UFC don't use jabs, feints, angles, movement, etc. It's a different sport.

Martinez vs Cotto was hard to watch. Sucks when your body quits on you. :(

i do agree.. but jacksons fighters do seem to be behind a lot of other fighters in terms of boxing though. some have some nice kicks, but i never see any of them with good footwork, and guys who throw more than a 1-2 combo.

MMA in general lacks rudimentary striking but this is because of the threat of a takedown.

i do agree.. but jacksons fighters do seem to be behind a lot of other fighters in terms of boxing though. some have some nice kicks, but i never see any of them with good footwork, and guys who throw more than a 1-2 combo.

Condit's footwork is pretty decent, he also is good with combos, he blends both things with Wink style quite well.
Cub actually excells at both things (though, as I already said, he trains a lot of boxing outside the camp too).

MMA in general lacks rudimentary striking but this is because of the threat of a takedown.

that is true... but it doesn't change the fact that jacksons fighters seem to lack those fundamentals more than other camps. hell even jon jones doesn't even have a jab.

This. I look at Cormier and Velasquez, wrestlers who have greatly improved their overall striking and footwork.

that is true... but it doesn't change the fact that jacksons fighters seem to lack those fundamentals more than other camps. hell even jon jones doesn't even have a jab.

They are also some of the most successful strikers in MMA.
I'm not a Jackson's fan at all, but this observation lacks a lot of context.
Should Machida go and train better boxing fundamentals as well?
Different stuff works on different ways to different people, if guys stay at Jacksons there's probably a reason. And if they are succesful, even more so.

lol and the UFC also lacks K-1 level striking...and Olympic level wrestling...and it lacks World Class Jiujitsu. Why can't these fighters be doing all of these things perfectly..derp.

this. fucking lazy fighters.

This. I thought by this time Jones would have a credible jab with his reach, but still have yet to see it consistently.

99.9% of mma fighters can't even throw a proper punch. They hit pads and think they are boxing. As soon as someone with bad punches (anderson silva) comes along with really good rhythym, he looks unbeatable. When in fact his boxing is terrible , but his rhythym is awesome so he knocks out idiots hittings pads who think they know how to box.

They are also some of the most successful strikers in MMA.
I'm not a Jackson's fan at all, but this observation lacks a lot of context.
Should Machida go and train better boxing fundamentals as well?
Different stuff works on different ways to different people, if guys stay at Jacksons there's probably a reason. And if they are succesful, even more so.

Boxing is not all about the hands, but the footwork and movement as well. Machida understands footwork and angles well. Not saying he is great, but he does very well. Here is an article on Machida's footwork, cutting of angles below, and a few other things.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-angles-and-feints-with-lyoto-machida

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back