Jackie Chan Philly Shell

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Here’s a clip of a Japanese reporter asking Jackie Chan to show her some kung fu and around the 6:28 mark, Jackie looks like he’s in a philly shell defences stance.

There are a couple of Jackie's films where he utilizes the "Philly Shell". I think in one of his fights with Benny Urquidez he uses it.

Americans and British like to believe they thought of everything first, boxing is one of those things. The truth is that during the British occupation of China, western hand to hand combat learned a lot from the Chinese. Similarities should be of no surprise

Americans and British like to believe they thought of everything first, boxing is one of those things. The truth is that during the British occupation of China, western hand to hand combat learned a lot from the Chinese. Similarities should be of no surprise
. They sure did .
Defendu By William E. Fairbairn

I didn't want to say anything because did not want to offend, but you put it so succinct it made me smile.

Shaolin have a very similar philly shell appearance incorporated into its forms or techniques.

Remember philly shell is a form of covering up or defensively retracting, its also scene in monkey style, its not as obvious as it is in boxing of course because in boxing you benefit from the gloves and ring ropes.

In Kung Fu arts its a sleight of hand type application to redirect a fast attack, or a pull back and attack simultaneously approach.

What we see on Youtubes and demos is usually at a full beat instead of at half a beat in full speed and power performing many moves in one instance or combined movements into one quick action.

This is where Youtubes demos, fail to show actuality, as you don't see the full picture of intent and experience.

Boxing is Boxing and is limited or limits what you can and cannot do, I love Boxing don't get me wrong its awesome but martial arts is broad in variety and techniques applied.

Jacky is pointing out a Kung Fu parry with a grabbing technique in snake form I believe covering arms and hand strikes, that in actual fact would momentarily hurt as your mind focuses on the intense grab/pinch while being hit and taken down.

But here they come you know what I mean, I'm running and hiding LoL

Just note with many TMA's its all taught in FORMS and KATA's where they applications differ in appearance or become more visible in actual combat due to the striking and intent of causing pain and injury. I hope I have somewhat added and put clarity to the thread.

All I know Jacky in his younger days was awesome, very talented and a knowledgeable man in the Martial Arts! :cool:

fight-story_647_111516122718.jpg

Last edited:
Theres stuff in Chinese martial arts that is a bit crabby like the shelling styles in boxing.

Tho bare in mind by his own admissions Jackie has just studies tidbits of different arts including boxing and other non Chinese styles.

Just look at Floyd stance and compare it to Bruce Lee

Welp!

No wonder the Gracie's didn't allow Benny to fight in UFC 1!

2 lazy to look up the links, but if I remember right he was an accomplished grappler as well....

With his full contact comp experience....

Fucking WELP!

Benny had extensive Judo experience

After seeing this post , I looked it up Benny studied 9 nine MA . Judo, Kajukenbo, Shotokan, Taekwondo, Lima Lama, White Crane Kung Fu, Jujutsu, Aikido and American Kenpo. He is the founder of Ukidokan Karate. Plus trained at young age in wrestling and boxing .

The fact that the Gracies wanted Shamrock, who was accustomed to worked fights, as opposed to anyone like Urquidez who had very real experience in multiple mediums and wasn't afraid of grappling, speaks volumes about what their intentions with the early UFC's were.

The fact that the Gracies wanted Shamrock, who was accustomed to worked fights, as opposed to anyone like Urquidez who had very real experience in multiple mediums and wasn't afraid of grappling, speaks volumes about what their intentions with the early UFC's were.

That’s interesting, I never thought about that.

I never heard this before. Doesn’t surprise me ,I have heard of some Controversy over the Gracie challenge . It involved Gene LaBell they wanted him to fight a much younger Gracie. Then it was to fight Hélio , but only if dropped weight like a lot of weight . Which is odd since Gracie jj claims a smaller man can defeat a larger man .

I never heard this before. Doesn’t surprise me ,I have heard of some Controversy over the Gracie challenge . It involved Gene LaBell they wanted him to fight a much younger Gracie. Then it was to fight Hélio , but only if dropped weight like a lot of weight . Which is odd since Gracie jj claims a smaller man can defeat a larger man .

I would never attempt to discredit BJJ as an Art, but the legend of its inception is garbage. As is the initial claims. Carlson realized this and it's why he was ostracized from the Family. He didn't play along with the bullshit.

The marketing scam that was everyone EXCEPT Rickson, was really thwarted by Sakuraba. Showing that an experienced catch-wrestler could out-grapple them. Not to mention that he tapped Newton as well, who was experienced and built like a brick shithouse.

I would never attempt to discredit BJJ as an Art, but the legend of its inception is garbage. As is the initial claims. Carlson realized this and it's why he was ostracized from the Family. He didn't play along with the bullshit.

The marketing scam that was everyone EXCEPT Rickson, was really thwarted by Sakuraba. Showing that an experienced catch-wrestler could out-grapple them. Not to mention that he tapped Newton as well, who was experienced and built like a brick shithouse.
After you post about this , i went looking and found a few stories. Definitely a good , thxs for posting this .
Ppl should look up the history on this

Reading through this old thread because i googled 'philly shell kung fu stance' and nothing came up but this. It just makes me smile knowing that there are some people out there that understand the complexity of the 'traditional vs modern martial arts debate' and dont just shill one side like sheep.

Either making fun of anyone who trains any traditional martial arts or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, saying things like 'this technique would never work in the ring, its too deadly'.

Its all very comical but the truth, as it so often does, lies in the middle. Thank you guys for making my day.

Back