Jack Slacks Breakdown of JDS/Cain

Jack is a bit of a dork. His piece before the fight (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/27/3804288/killing-the-king-junior-dos-santos) he went into long tangents about JDS body jab coupled with some weird examples from Mayweather vs Mosley plus boring calls for leg kicks etc.

Now... had he watched Hopkins vs de la Hoya he would have had the formula already and not made as many stupid conclusions...

Karate guys simply shouldn't be allowed to analyze anything. Stick to pointing out after the fact stuff like tendencies instead because strategy is not for you.

ouch.

I mentioned low kicks for about a paragraph. My main advice was to stick to what Cain does best and dive on legs, drive to the clinch and work his magic from their.

Secondly I didn't recommend a way to defend the body jab - I pointed out that the reason it has proven so obnoxious when used by greats like Mayweather and Ray Robinson is that it is something you are simply supposed to avoid or take - moving ones hands to defend it is terrible boxing form as I'm sure you know.

If you could quote me the point where I said someone SHOULD "commit to defending" the body jab I'll apologize because I never implied that one SHOULD move the hands to defend a body jab.

Oh sorry then. I must've misread your entire article(s), Sensei. My bad. Thank you for the axe kick.

Now we're done talking about things I didn't say - you are more than welcome to write counter analysis but repeating cliches such as "double the jab" is not analysis OR strategy - it's just that, repeating cliches.

I will happily admit I'm repeating clich

I read the article, and he said Cain should dirty box him and pressure him to the cage since JDS moves forwards and backwards, not side to side. Cain did it. Cain got JDS's feet parallel on the cage (just like some of the images shown in the Gonzaga fight) then he dropped JDS.

I thought it was fairly spot on.

Oh wow this is entertaining. Mostly because TheStrikingGuy knows what he is talking about and it is obvious Ughugh has no idea about fighting, or striking, in general.

I read the article, and he said Cain should dirty box him and pressure him to the cage since JDS moves forwards and backwards, not side to side. Cain did it. Cain got JDS's feet parallel on the cage (just like some of the images shown in the Gonzaga fight) then he dropped JDS.

I thought it was fairly spot on.

URI2_wa.jpg

You would enjoy him...

You see what you wanna see I guess. If you don't mind discarding how Cain would counter JDS' strategy, or how he would set up his entry, or how Jack literally said it couldn't be done and Cain should rush him and "diving into clinches with his arms up and shooting for legs"... then his striking analysis obviously speaks to you and Jack was spot on. Others would say it's pure confirmation bias made possible by a constant back pedaling and after-the-fact mumbo jumbo from the author. Where it ends up is where it ends up. If reality don't fit, then fit the reality.

URI2_wa.jpg

You would enjoy him...

You see what you wanna see I guess. If you don't mind discarding how Cain would counter JDS' strategy, or how he would set up his entry, or how Jack literally said it couldn't be done and Cain should rush him and "diving into clinches with his arms up and shooting for legs"... then his striking analysis obviously speaks to you and Jack was spot on. Others would say it's pure confirmation bias made possible by a constant back pedaling and after-the-fact mumbo jumbo from the author. Where it ends up is where it ends up.

So... mumbo jumbo - but you just spouted a load of cliches, admitted they were cliches and did no more to make your case.

URI2_wa.jpg

You would enjoy him...

You see what you wanna see I guess. If you don't mind discarding how Cain would counter JDS' strategy, or how he would set up his entry, or how Jack literally said it couldn't be done and Cain should rush him and "diving into clinches with his arms up and shooting for legs"... then his striking analysis obviously speaks to you and Jack was spot on. Others would say it's pure confirmation bias made possible by a constant back pedaling and after-the-fact mumbo jumbo from the author. Where it ends up is where it ends up.

lol that picture is amazing.

I thought it was a fun read, he pointed out things that I didn't notice. I train casually for fun. It would be nice to read articles from you as well. It sounds like you take this pretty serious. I myself am a professional musician and don't have time to wreck my hands with serious training (classical guitarist). I didn't read any after-the-fact stuff. Just the 'Killing the King' article the day of the fight.

It sounds like you take this pretty serious. I myself am a professional musician and don't have time to wreck my hands with serious training (classical guitarist).

Hahaha golden

I think ughugh is more upset over the suggestion that lowly leg kicks could possibly counter his glorious boxing...which it does, constantly.

Jack is a bit of a dork. His piece before the fight (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/27/3804288/killing-the-king-junior-dos-santos) he went into long tangents about JDS body jab coupled with some weird examples from Mayweather vs Mosley plus boring calls for leg kicks etc.

Now... had he watched Hopkins vs de la Hoya he would have had the formula already and not made as many stupid conclusions...

Karate guys simply shouldn't be allowed to analyze anything. Stick to pointing out after the fact stuff like tendencies instead because strategy is not for you.

No, his explanations are pretty good and far less of a long tangent than your post here.

How about if you actually did some fact checking instead of dismissing what I wrote on pure face value..?

And yes, like I wrote he's good at spotting tendencies so nothing new there. That's not what I was saying though.

May I also add that you exemplify Jack's target audience perfectly.

What is your problem with the guy? He puts himself out there to be criticized, which you are certainly allowed to do. But what's he done that makes you so bent on running him down? Be specific, because your first post in this thread didn't give any evidence. I think the guy does a good job of breaking down and isolating patterns or attack, which is difficult for people to see a lot of the time in a dynamic sport like MMA.

I tend to become a little ****y when boxing is involded but whatever. Watch Hopkins vs de la Hoya if you want the real anti-dote instead of those f***ing leg kicks you suggested.

The point you're missing is if a guy wants to play fencing (which is not at all uncommon in boxing btw) and jabs to the body you double up on his jab but to the head; coupled with right straights to break the momentum. By doing this you're countering with higher quality than he has to offer. The moment he gets tired of throwing it, you dip and dirty box or if you are Cain go for the TD. If he's already gone you reset and if he tries to land on your head you do a little fencing and body shots of your own. It's not that JDS has formidable anything it's just that his opponents has no response to his boxing and leg kicks certainly wont address that issue.

Picture perfect example would be Hopkins vs de da Hoya. Oscar tried to fence and B-hop doubled his jab, countered, dirty boxed, went to the body, stole his mojo and knocked him the fuck out. Swap the dirty boxing for TDs, keep the bumps, add a jab and you have the perfect gameplan for Cain. Have him play chess instead of checkers ffs. And leg kicks up your ass. How the hell is a leg kick gonna be faster than a jab?!?!?!

I hope to god you don't teach anyone. This is an appalling post.

Back