Jack Slack: Cormier has all the skill to beat Jones

He is absolutely correct. Awful game plan by Cormier. One of the worst ever really.

You guys are idiots, Jack never said Cormier will beat Jones.

This thread is JJ fanboys at their finest. The topic should provoke a technical discussion about how the fight went down, or at least some well though out reactions to Jack's opinions. Instead, we have a group of guys ( the same ones constantly whining about Jones personality being the focus) going on and on about the DC vs Jones beef. Fucking amazing.

it's a one sided view of what could have been done differently by one of the 2 fighters.

Oh please.. It was a good fight and DC fought fairly well but Jones broke him mentally in the 4th round. Jones is 27 and still improving how many more big fights does DC have left at 36?

Oh please.. It was a good fight and DC fought fairly well but Jones broke him mentally in the 4th round. Jones is 27 and still improving how many more big fights does DC have left at 36?

DC knew this was probably his last chance at the belt that's why he was so emotional I think.

He is absolutely correct. Awful game plan by Cormier. One of the worst ever really.

You guys are idiots, Jack never said Cormier will beat Jones.

His game plan was exactly what he needed to do.. Pressure Jon and throw heavy leather on the inside. Go for TD's and try to grind on Jon. Jon adjusted and as the fight went on he was landing the better strikes and did what DC told the world he could not do.. Outwrestle him.. DC is not a better MMA wrestler as we saw last night..

His game plan was exactly what he needed to do.. Pressure Jon and throw heavy leather on the inside. Go for TD's and try to grind on Jon. Jon adjusted and as the fight went on he was landing the better strikes and did what DC told the world he could not do.. Outwrestle him.. DC is not a better MMA wrestler as saw last night..

This. It's a pretty easy fight to analyze, DC couldn't seem to take Jones down or control him in the clinch and his only success was doing those inside flurries and getting in close. But he definitely was trying to look for takedowns and feint them he was corner was telling him to do so.

By the end of the 3rd round either Cormier was tired or beat up by Jones pressure and body shots, probably a mix of both, and Jones completely took over and DC stopped offering much offense.

Jones also dominated the wrestling takig DC down four times which probably made DC more cautious trying to initiate takedowns and grappling.

His game plan was exactly what he needed to do.. Pressure Jon and throw heavy leather on the inside. Go for TD's and try to grind on Jon. Jon adjusted and as the fight went on he was landing the better strikes and did what DC told the world he could not do.. Outwrestle him.. DC is not a better MMA wrestler as we saw last night..

Amen. Jones was just the better fighter.

That's what annoys me. He attributes it to Cormier's mistakes, and not Jones' ability to adapt to any fighter.and make on the fly adjustments.

He said Cormier needed to do lateral movement before the fight kid... Cormier had a terrible game plan. He didn't let his hands go nearly enough and went straight forward into Jones strikes.

I think if you ignore the people the fanboys, there is very good information there. I read Jacks article & went back & watched a couple fights. Jones felt lost everytime someone kicked him in the leg, it stopped his offense & froze him up.

Thanks Jack btw, please keep writing. There are a lot of morons who know even less about fighting than I do. All they care about is who won last week, sometimes not even that long.

His game plan needed to include lateral movement so that he wasn't eating a shit ton of strikes every time he came in, just like Jack Slack said. Moving straight forward is stupid and so easy to counter when you got huge reach. And then when he got inside he needed to let his hands go way more.

slack talked about gus having success by circling which limited jones attacks and created openings. lateral movement. DC clearly didnt do that or even try to. im not sure how this is considered some giant backtrack piece

Me either. I guess if you aren't busy vomiting out praise for Jones the masses will try to lynch you. It's not even an offensive piece to Jones. And for fucks sake people, Slack isn't the only one who pointed this out. DC's on corner told him to start using angles between rounds

Edgar is goddamn beastly at it. Bendo too.

Of course, no one could do that like GSP

Edgar hell yeah, Benson...naaa not at all. He just has insane scrambles and is hard to control. But I would not say his transitions from striking to grappling are amazing. Especially compared to Edgar and GSP.

I hope Jack plans on doing a more in depth breakdown of the Jones/Cormier fight. That one sided paragraph left much to be desired.

His game plan needed to include lateral movement so that he wasn't eating a shit ton of strikes every time he came in, just like Jack Slack said. Moving straight forward is stupid and so easy to counter when you got huge reach. And then when he got inside he needed to let his hands go way more.

I'm just glad DC is like Edgar and uses lateral movement all the time.

Slack saying that Cormier should have done something he wasn't actually capable of is fucking hilarious and back tracking. Just shut up, Slack.

Cormier isn't capable of lateral movement? You need to think before you post.

Edgar hell yeah, Benson...naaa not at all. He just has insane scrambles and is hard to control. But I would not say his transitions from striking to grappling are amazing. Especially compared to Edgar and GSP.

Yeah that's why he pretty much had 10 even rounds with Edgar.

Taking a few shots to get in is fine, but once DC started getting in close he should have been using lateral movement to keep Jones resetting. Standing right in front of Jon is a recipe for disaster.

I'm just glad DC is like Edgar and uses lateral movement all the time.

Yea, Edgar is the only dude who uses lateral movement in MMA. Every human being is capable of lateral movement you dummy.

How in gods name weren't you apart of that " worst posters in the heavies " thread. You got like 60k posts and you weren't apart of either thread. I guess everyone just ignores you.

Lateral movement was the only way Cormier was going to overcome 12 inches of reach disadvantage without taking a beating on the way in.

Back