Jack Slack: Cormier has all the skill to beat Jones

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by trumpet, Jan 4, 2015.

1. trumpet

trumpet White Belt

The latest from Jack Slack Arse:

"One of the great misfortunes of the fight game is that people genuinely think that the “better man” wins. The truth is that with slight changes to his game plan, and a focus on lateral movement rather than walking through strikes, Cormier has all the skills to beat Jones. Hell, he gave Jones a great fight by going about it the absolute worst way he could have on the feet."

Excerpt:

...Jon Jones defending his light heavyweight title against Daniel Cormier. The bout was as back and forth as they come—and certainly anyone who is still saying “Jones is untouchable” has a lot to answer for.

A couple of weeks back I wrote a 3500 worder entitled Killing the King: Jon Jones in which I asserted that without an answer to the kicking and distance game of Jones—not simply to attempt to walk through it—no-one is beating Jones. And after last night, that assertion stands.

Daniel Cormier seemed to be telling the truth when he said that his plan was to get in Jones' face. He did that very effectively for a couple of rounds. The problem was that he walked straight in, through the kicks, elbows, and body punches to do it.

Cormier wanted to move into the clinch, unleash with the punching flurries which earned him the unofficial nickname “Black Fedor”, and wear Jones down.

[​IMG]

This is that perfect chaining of wrestling and boxing that we talk about every time we mention Cormier. Just sublime.

But he was taking unanswered blows to get there, every single time. Add to that the fact Cormier has only gone five rounds once in his career, against Josh Barnett, a heavyweight. A cardio based contest just didn't favor him at all.

One of the great misfortunes of the fight game is that people genuinely think that the “better man” wins. The truth is that with slight changes to his game plan, and a focus on lateral movement rather than walking through strikes, Cormier has all the skills to beat Jones. Hell, he gave Jones a great fight by going about it the absolute worst way he could have on the feet.

Daniel Cormier's skills and technical ability are second to none. But the simple act of moving laterally—being the matador rather than the bull—when choosing his engagements could have changed the entire fight. Jones was in optimal position to strike all night, where against Gustafsson he was constantly turning and resetting his feet.

[​IMG]

That being said, Jones looked every bit the veteran champion, but certainly not as immortal as he looked against Mauricio Rua, Rashad Evans and Rampage Jackson. The division is catching up and the new talent is for real.

Two years ago it seemed like there was Jones, and then there was everyone else. Now it seems with Alexander Gustafsson, Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson just as fresh as Jones and improving just as fast, we might have entered MMA's own era of Four Kings. Where a couple of years ago I barely cared, I now eagerly anticipate any news out of the 205lbs division, and after last night and Jones' bout with Gustafsson in 2013, so should you...

Read full article

2. CostumedExtrmst

CostumedExtrmst Banned Banned

Jack Slack is backtracking. Sounds full of sh...

3. Was Exiled

Was Exiled Brown Belt

You have the link the article

4. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Only Arse ITT is the TS.

5. prikoke

prikoke Brown Belt

Of course he does. Hell he had all the skills yesterday, just not the gas tank. That being said, I don't see him improving it any time soon.

6. Actualized174

Actualized174 Black Belt

Blah blah blah more theory fighting. Jones adjusted and evolved as the fight went on. That article screams of butt hurt.

7. TwisterFTW

TwisterFTW Blue Belt

Good read, hope Cormier bounces back.

8. CostumedExtrmst

CostumedExtrmst Banned Banned

That's what annoys me. He attributes it to Cormier's mistakes, and not Jones' ability to adapt to any fighter.and make on the fly adjustments.

9. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Saku Spring Staff Member Forum Administrator

Gusta has far better kickboxing footwork than Cormier, that's not rocket science.

That's also not Cormier's style. He barrels in on people and fights from the clinch, which he did here. It just didn't work for him against Jones.

10. flexxx145

flexxx145 Green Belt

Who is Jack Slack? Some so called expert huh? lol

11. Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Slack saying that Cormier should have done something he wasn't actually capable of is fucking hilarious and back tracking. Just shut up, Slack.

12. Blackened

Blackened It is a new era! Double Yellow Card

If Cormier didn't just have the fight and wasn't 36 he'd have a point.

Cormier is too old to work his way back up and then fight for the title at 37. It also seems that Jones broke the poor guy.

13. Blackened

Blackened It is a new era! Double Yellow Card

Slack is legit. Even though I disagree with him here.

14. Agnawedbone

Agnawedbone Yellow Card Yellow Card

The technical breakdown is excellent but I don't know if I agree with the conclusion. I don't see cormier ever being able to beat jones.

15. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

Pretty good article nonetheless. The elementary responses only add to his article being good. Someone retort with something better to read instead of "sounds full of sh..."

16. trott

trott Green Belt

i know slacks some sort of a striking guru or something, but i mean i love how theres no mention of grappling. he might as well write an article saying deontay wilder has the tools to beat jon

17. Cherdawg

Cherdawg Silver Belt

Cormier has a chin, that was also confirmed in this fight lol.

18. PolishHeadlock

PolishHeadlock Putin Belt Platinum Member

The best was his article on chain fighting as if Cormier invented mixing up strikes and wrestling.

19. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Saku Spring Staff Member Forum Administrator

Yep, they both do. Jones' jaw is solid too.

20. grndzro

grndzro Purple Belt

If Cormier went on a keto cut for a few months and built back up lean he would be a real threat. As he stands now he will always be gatekeeper.