Jack Slack: Barao can't brawl

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Once he gets past the first punch and into an exchange, his defense disappears."

Jack Slack: How TJ Dillashaw Killed the King

. . .

Last week we spoke at length about Barao's tendency to swing wild whenever he leaves his one-or-two-at-a-time punching formula.

ibek0xUEKaoBf8.gif

At the time, I said that Barao's recklessness in exchanges lead me to believe that his title reign would end with a bang rather than dropping by a pedestrian decision, but I could never have imagined that Dillashaw would be the man to pull it off.

The final exchange highlighted exactly what we talked about in Barao's game. Once he gets past the first punch and into an exchange, his defense disappears. He leans forward at the waist, sticks his chin out, and drops his non-punching hand, swinging wild.

ThirstyGlossyAnglerfish.gif

Full story:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/how-tj-dillashaw-killed-the-king

Great read, as usual, with lots of gifs. Bonus gif of RJJ's funky boxing move.

TJ showed some amazing head movement in that fight. Very impressive.

And people were saying how Barao could be better than Aldo.. unbelievable hyper over him. Poor guy was very good just not as good as everyone made him out to be.

And people were saying how Barao could be better than Aldo.. unbelievable hyper over him. Poor guy was very good just not as good as everyone made him out to be.

Lol this fight didn't show how good or bad Barao is, it showed how amazing and underrated TJ is.

Pickett almost rocked Renan's shit twice, landed a nice overhand/hook right on the way in and seemed to land a straight as well.

The guy is a beast. The guy is elite. He is great. He has both his advantages and disadvantages over Aldo.

sherdog gonna sherdog.

Barao range is his power zone, without footwork he can't counter long combos and footwork without good defense. He does swing for the fences often. If he wants to maintain his style he will have to be much better defensively and have great takedowns and grapples to work his ground game.

Barao range is his power zone, without footwork he can't counter long combos and footwork without good defense. He does swing for the fences often. If he wants to maintain his style he will have to be much better defensively and have great takedowns and grapples to work his ground game.

I think the problem is the gap we saw between him and TJ, in terms of speed and variety. Barao also failed at being the aggressor and was unable to counter TJ's attack. I'm very interested in what Barao would be able to do in a rematch (no instant rematch though).

That's why he rocked the shit out of Pickett once they started exchanging punches?

Everyone's an expert when someone falls.

Pointing out that a fighter's defense goes to shit when brawling =/= saying said fighter can't brawl

is normal

I truly believe Renan either didn't cut weight properly or he cut a key "supplement" out of his diet. He looked slow, less define and waaayy less coordinated. TJ looked amazing and his incredible growth and fight IQ won him the fight but Renan did not look like the killer that trains with Aldo.

He said TJ would win with strikes?

Simply when analyzing Barao's weaknesses, he said Barao has a great jab, but tends to stand in the pocket and brawl when his opponent gets in close, disregarding defense and movement when he does so. Also that he counters well when guys come straight in at him, but feints and movement tend to leave him swinging at air. He said TJ had shown these abilities, but he was unsure if he could maintain it for 5 rounds without getting tagged, or sucked into Barao's game.

I know you hate Jack, but don't worry, your e-cred is still intact, Pete!

Simply when analyzing Barao's weaknesses, he said Barao has a great jab, but tends to stand in the pocket and brawl when his opponent gets in close, disregarding defense and movement when he does so. Also that he counters well when guys come straight in at him, but feints and movement tend to leave him swinging at air. He said TJ had shown these abilities, but he was unsure if he could maintain it for 5 rounds without getting tagged, or sucked into Barao's game.

I know you hate Jack, but don't worry, your e-cred is still intact, Pete!

I don't hate Jack, and it sounds like he didn't pick TJ to win. I'm also not sure it was a brawling exchange where Barao got blasted. Anyway, thanks for the update on my e-cred. Now if only they would accept that at the bank...

Back