Jack Slack analyzes why traditional martial arts moves are coming back in the UFC

I think here's where we disagree. Athleticism will determine who makes it to the top, but once there when all the guys are at least well above average athletes it comes back down to technique and strategy in my opinion. With the athleticism playing a (huge) role in the techniques and strategies used.

Just to clarify, in the United States do you think there are guys with backgrounds in any of the following TMAs who could also enjoy the success of Aldo, Pettis, prime Liddell and Jones: Goju Ryu Karate, Chito Ryu Karate, Eshin Karate, Ishin Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate, Red Dragon Karate, Hapkido, Wing Chun and San Shou?

Just to clarify, in the United States do you think there are guys with backgrounds in any of the following TMAs who could also enjoy the success of Aldo, Pettis, prime Liddell and Jones: Goju Ryu Karate, Chito Ryu Karate, Eshin Karate, Ishin Ryu Karate, Shotokan Karate, Red Dragon Karate, Hapkido, Wing Chun and San Shou?

I'm not an expert on those styles, and haven't heard of a few, but no. I also don't think you could find anyone from any of those styles in the US who would even be ranked in their weight class. Your chances of even finding a legitimate teacher of one of those is miniscule.

As I said in another post, the people who are best at these styles aren't on this continent. And more importantly, they have zero interest in MMA for the most part. Just like most guys who box don't care if they would lose in an MMA fight, and most guys who play football don't think they need to go play basketball to prove themselves. But look up some glove karate fights. When you get past the open mats and gis, it looks like kickboxing with a slightly different focus. Some tmas have gone done very impractical paths, don't get me wrong. But looking to discredit them as a whole is ignorant.

By the way, you catch Cruickshank and Horiguchi's fights on saturday? :icon_twis

What annoys me is when people focus on techniques instead of fundamentals when talking about the evolution of MMA striking. "Look at this cool shoulder crank and fancy kick!" Instead of "look how easily jones was able to close distance, control the pace of the fight and smother glover." I care less if guys are throwing "wheel kicks" and more if guys are measuring, controlling and manipulating distance, creating openings, converting defense into offense and developing fluidity between different aspects of their games. People wanna see their favorite styles vindicated, I just wanna see guys become more fundamentally sound and competent fighters.

fuck all that just bleed dude.

Back