Jack Slack analyzes why traditional martial arts moves are coming back in the UFC

The first sentence of the article is just bad:

Who are these supposed people? He can't just make up a viewpoint and then use that as a segway for his article. That sentence wouldn't have even been approved for a wikipedia article.

The number of Kumite tourney combatants who disagrees with you are plentiful thus your toes smell like cheese.

Some of the better k-1 guys like andy hug, ernesto hoost, etc with a lot of mma training would have eaten these guys alive.
Andy Hug with a dynamic guard game plus decent wrestling would probably be undefeated in mma. Cro Cop(!) had trouble with his movement...

What annoys me is when people focus on techniques instead of fundamentals when talking about the evolution of MMA striking. "Look at this cool shoulder crank and fancy kick!" Instead of "look how easily jones was able to close distance, control the pace of the fight and smother glover." I care less if guys are throwing "wheel kicks" and more if guys are measuring, controlling and manipulating distance, creating openings, converting defense into offense and developing fluidity between different aspects of their games. People wanna see their favorite styles vindicated, I just wanna see guys become more fundamentally sound and competent fighters.

well said

im still surprised Jone was able to hurt Glover like that... Glover had no clue how to properly clinch with Jones. Likes like what I learn in Aikido class is good for more than killing clueless Japanese peasants!

Also, there were some famous Greek athletes that were known to be boxers or wrestlers, such as Milo of Croton or Diagoras of Rhodes. Diagoras won the Olympics twice as a boxer, for example.

Who was the Greek who was challenged to arena combat by some renowned soldier, and arrived naked and oiled to out grapple his fully armored opponent?

What annoys me is when people focus on techniques instead of fundamentals when talking about the evolution of MMA striking. "Look at this cool shoulder crank and fancy kick!" Instead of "look how easily jones was able to close distance, control the pace of the fight and smother glover." I care less if guys are throwing "wheel kicks" and more if guys are measuring, controlling and manipulating distance, creating openings, converting defense into offense and developing fluidity between different aspects of their games. People wanna see their favorite styles vindicated, I just wanna see guys become more fundamentally sound and competent fighters.

100% agree

I disagree. the striking department is still decades behind, its just a lot better than it used to be. Some of the better k-1 guys like andy hug, ernesto hoost, etc with a lot of mma training would have eaten these guys alive. Anderson silva made it look easy and he wasn't even top caliber in striking.

I dunno. I think the smaller gloves in MMA makes a big difference in the types of fights we see. It is harder to defend punches with little MMA gloves, so MMA striking defense is sooo bad.

Overeem was K! champ but loss to lesser fighters because he defense with small gloves is wore than with normal gloves.

If you ever watched JWP caged Mauy Thai which uses small goves you see guys connect alot more than in normal kickboxing with regular gloves.

One wonders if that had more to do with Glover's profound immobility than Jones's pressure-fighting though.

Glover made mistakes sure. Primarily his lack of a jab and abandoning his body shots. But at the same time, jones did a fantastic job either coming in underneath his punches or using hand fighting skills to safely get past the pocket. He was able to force glover against the cage like this, and from there he could keep glover's feet out of position, his knees straight and his hands occupied. He could then create and close space to strike on his terms, and was willing to adapt to the targets presented vs glover who tried the same few punches over and over. It was a combination of skill by jones and lack of skill by glover, but even the lacking skill by glover kind of proves my point. Who cares what techniques get thrown once a fight when there are holes that big in someone's game?

I agree, the thing is Karate and some TKD practices are supreme at distance management and that is why Pettis and Lyoto rarely get tagged badly. Sure they are both fast, but their quickness and ability to manage the distance is why they are so efficient.

I really feel like if more people learned martial arts like karate and tkd they could gain a supreme knowledge of the distance game. Then again as a practitioner in both I have a hard on for that stuff. For instance, when Anderson landed that front kick people were flabbergasted about the technique...it is literally the second/third kick you learn in Karate... If more people learned to use front kicks and side kicks we would have way better distance fighting, and interesting knock outs.

I dunno. I think the smaller gloves in MMA makes a big difference in the types of fights we see. It is harder to defend punches with little MMA gloves, so MMA striking defense is sooo bad.

Overeem was K! champ but loss to lesser fighters because he defense with small gloves is wore than with normal gloves.

If you ever watched JWP caged Mauy Thai which uses small goves you see guys connect alot more than in normal kickboxing with regular gloves.

Yea you can't rely on gloves for defense in MMA. Passive blocking is much less effective, it has to be more active and even then it can't be all you do. That's a problem for a lot of people coming from gloved striking sports. Smaller gloves are still secondary to lack of confidence in grappling defense, but they make a significant difference.

A rare, but much welcome, sane post on Sherdog.

I agree, the thing is Karate and some TKD practices are supreme at distance management and that is why Pettis and Lyoto rarely get tagged badly. Sure they are both fast, but their quickness and ability to manage the distance is why they are so efficient.

I really feel like if more people learned martial arts like karate and tkd they could gain a supreme knowledge of the distance game. Then again as a practitioner in both I have a hard on for that stuff. For instance, when Anderson landed that front kick people were flabbergasted about the technique...it is literally the second/third kick you learn in Karate... If more people learned to use front kicks and side kicks we would have way better distance fighting, and interesting knock outs.

Those arts are great for distance management, but fighting in the pocket tends to suffer greatly. Machida is an example of that, though pettis isn't really. There tends to be a lack of head movement, understanding of positioning and angles. I also don't think any tool is better for distance management than the jab. Because the thing is it isn't only about maintaining distance, it's about forcing the fight to occur at the distance you find the most comfortable. It's also about measuring distance so you don't whiff on all your power shots.

Those arts are good, but not for everyone. Only for one particular type of fighter really. In my opinion, legitimately good boxing is the best striking base for MMA. It's more applicable to more styles than anything else, and you can take the same solid fundamentals then apply them to virtually any fighter and still have that fighter be unique.

It's more applicable to more styles than anything else, and you can take the same solid fundamentals then apply them to virtually any fighter and still have that fighter be unique.
Haven't you heard, all MMA fighters are clones of each other.

Thats just fantacy, do you often think about how that fight played out in your head Nevel?

You're telling me that, once disarmed, a man in armor has some sort of tactical advantage against a trained opponent? You seem to be in need of some contemplation, yourself.

Boxing as it is today has only been around for 150 years, if that. Wrestling, if you accept any form of it, has been around for thousands of years.

Totally agree - should have highlighted the wrestling bit. Shit's been going on forever.

This doesn't make much sense.

The spattering of so called traditional striking techniques that are being demonstrated now have been used in kickboxing since the beginning.

Since more guys are willing to remain on their feet and strike, then those techniques will be used more, just as they are in kickboxing.

TKD is still ridiculous, and a waste of time, and money. No amount of wheel kicks in MMA will change that.

I feel like MMA has separated martial arts into 'shit that works well' and 'traditional martial arts moves'.

Also lol @ attributing JJ's shoulder lock from the clinch to JJ. He explicitly stated he learned that in amateur wrestling.

Back