Jack Slack analyzes why traditional martial arts moves are coming back in the UFC

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Harry Potter, May 10, 2014.

1. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Blue Belt

2. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

non sequitor.

all moves are martial arts moves. how could they be back?

3. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Well, they are making a recurrence, at any rate.

In the same way that it is much more common to see quality passing and guard work in mid-carders now than in 2005 for example.

4. JustinvR

JustinvR Brown Belt

I think the term traditional martial arts is strange because people don't consider Muay Thai a traditional martial art even though it is way older than Tae Kwon Do which is seen as a traditional martial art.

5. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

We all know boxing and wrestling most certainly weren't practiced thousands of years ago either.

6. Darwinist

Darwinist Super Simian

I think these moves are coming back because all the low-hanging fruit has already been plucked. Nowadays everyone has solid standup, clinch and ground, so in order to gain an edge fighters are looking to add lower-percentage techniques that opponents may not be expecting to face to their repertoire.

7. JustinvR

JustinvR Brown Belt

Everyone knows it is only a traditional martial art if it is from Asia and practitioners wear a gi and a coloured belt.

8. Horse Meat

Horse Meat Praise be Ditka. Amen.

Everyone's a critic.

9. a guy

a guy Black Belt

What annoys me is when people focus on techniques instead of fundamentals when talking about the evolution of MMA striking. "Look at this cool shoulder crank and fancy kick!" Instead of "look how easily jones was able to close distance, control the pace of the fight and smother glover." I care less if guys are throwing "wheel kicks" and more if guys are measuring, controlling and manipulating distance, creating openings, converting defense into offense and developing fluidity between different aspects of their games. People wanna see their favorite styles vindicated, I just wanna see guys become more fundamentally sound and competent fighters.

10. sportkillergreg

sportkillergreg Brown Belt

The first sentence of the article is just bad:

Who are these supposed people? He can't just make up a viewpoint and then use that as a segway for his article. That sentence wouldn't have even been approved for a wikipedia article.

11. CerebralKnievel

CerebralKnievel Silver Belt

Quite incorrect. So no, we don't know that.

12. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

also, no contact in training. Traditional martial arts are too dangerous to be sparring. People would die.

13. a guy

a guy Black Belt

Be honest. If you're a mt practitioner and understand the connotation of that phrase, do you really want people calling it a traditional martial art?

14. Maxwell44

Maxwell44 Yellow Belt

Jack should really stick to striking analysis.

Wrestling+boxing are the two oldest martial arts.

15. Steve08

I see what you're getting at and it makes sense; there aren't many techniques that are inherently low-percentage though... stuff like the spinning hook kick is pretty close, granted, but there are crafty set-ups for even that. Like off of a missed round kick, presuming of course that you are literally satan.

I think it has to do with unpredictability more than anything else. Not that anyone should be spamming any kind of kick or spinning attack, but you have to think about what you're doing more if stepping into punch/shot range only exposes you to a vicious front kick to the mid-section (for example).
    One wonders if that had more to do with Glover's profound immobility than Jones's pressure-fighting though.
    There has been one form of boxing or another in civilizations like India as far back as 200-300AD, and of course wrestling is one of the original Olympic sports. He's not wrong.

Greek pankration was essentially proto-mma with very basic takedowns, strikes (kicks) and submissions (armlocks, etc.) as well.

16. Darwinist

Darwinist Super Simian

I don't mean lower percentage like that neccesarily. I mean in the sense that if you have someone that knows no kicks, your best return on training time invested is to just teach him basic roundhouse kick mechanics to the legs, body and head. You wouldn't want to have a fighter with a great spinning hook kick and a shitty roundhouse simply because the roundhouse is more universally applicable.

Once you have mastered all the bread and butter kicks, the "spinning shit" as Nick Diaz put it becomes viable additions to the arsenal.

17. Steve08

Ah, yeah. Definitely agreed then. I think fighters need to expand their definition of bread and butter kicks overall though. Most guys who have hard round kicks in mma usually only have it off of one leg, or from one stance, or if they do have good round kicks off both legs and from both stances (like Werdum), then they don't have a good push/side/front kick to mix things up with, which is quite important IMO.

That's why Anthony Pettis is the fucking man.

Lol Condit's reaction during that interview was even better than the original quote...

"So we're throwing spinning shit now?"
    "Well... yes, we are."

:icon_lol:

18. Steve08

Also, there were some famous Greek athletes that were known to be boxers or wrestlers, such as Milo of Croton or Diagoras of Rhodes. Diagoras won the Olympics twice as a boxer, for example.

Those who pretty much combined the two were called pankratists.

gg
    sarcasm, homes

19. Ughugh

Ughugh Banned Banned

[​IMG]

20. tasticles

tasticles Red Belt

I disagree. the striking department is still decades behind, its just a lot better than it used to be. Some of the better k-1 guys like andy hug, ernesto hoost, etc with a lot of mma training would have eaten these guys alive. Anderson silva made it look easy and he wasn't even top caliber in striking.