Jacar

1 top win in two years is an easy route to a title shot, without a doubt.

But, that one win is against the #1 contender. People are making it sound like he is getting a #1 contender fight against Francis Carmont.

Is it fair, not really, but it's not completely crazy. Beating Vitor is a big deal.

Chael also has stepped up more than any other fighter in UFC history and is the ultimate company man. He deserves some breaks. No man stepped up and tried to save 151, Chael did. He's stepping up and fighting the most dangerous middleweight to help salvage ANOTHER card. Not many other fighters step up when the stakes are this high on a consistent basis. Robbie Lawler is another one, he's stepping up when called upon and he's getting another #1 contender fight. is it fair? Not really, but he's putting himself on the line and sacrificing full camps and rest to help Dana and the UFC. Not to mention Chael's trash talk has sold more fights than 95% of the UFC.

Not to mention he's far from a slouch and people are forgetting HE STILL HAS TO WIN! He isn't getting a title shot, he's fighting the most dangerous fighter at 185 for a chance at the title. Remember, he still has to win.

I know Jacare is on a roll, but regardless one win against Vitor would impress me more than both his Okami and Carmont wins combined.

Those fights were 2 years apart :icon_idea

the arbitrary time scale of 2 years was of your own selection... it doesn't change the fact that outside of Weidman, Machida (who are already fighting) and Belfort (who Chael is fighting) that there is no one else in the middlweight division with a better recent record (within that division) than that. beating Belfort would be a bigger accomplishment than anything done by anyone else in the division that could be considered a contender

1-3 in his last 4.

Let the MW division look like a joke again.

If you beat the 2nd best MW in the world why wouldnt you fight the best after that?

Dana has already said that only Vitor will get a title shot if he wins though, so lets relax.

Beating Vitor right now is the best win you can get in that division, outside of the champ anyway.

If Chael beats Vitor then I'd be fine with giving him a title shot.

Agree....but I just can't see my boy Chael getting past Vitor.

i think the first two rounds against belfort is THE scariest place in mma at the moment.guy has only lost to jones and silva in EIGHT years. good luck with that chael.but sonnen could definately win a decision. but probably will end up with vitor punching the back of chaels head into mush

disagree, I would favour Rockhold.

To be honest the UFC would have to be mentally retarded if they somehow fucked up the MW division.

they have Mousasi,Rockhold,Jacare and Kennedy to match (any 4 ways) in a (unofficial) 4 man tourney for the shot after Vitor......it's that easy.

The MW division is all strikeforce vets

Rockhold vs. moussasi
Jacare vs. Romero

I know it doesnt make sense ranking wise, but i love it.

Amen bruddah. Would love to see what Romero could do to Jacare on the feet. Don't see him being taken down

disagree, I would favour Rockhold.

To be honest the UFC would have to be mentally retarded if they somehow fucked up the MW division.

they have Mousasi,Rockhold,Jacare and Kennedy to match (any 4 ways) in a (unofficial) 4 man tourney for the shot after Vitor......it's that easy.

it's a very exciting division nowadays. anderson losing and the sf fighters coming has made this maybe the most interesting IMO.

If anything you have to respect jacare for being so humble. Jacare easily shoulda got the next title shot after Vitor, instead of machida

Lyoto has beaten Rashad and Weidman beat Silva twice

Agreed. I think if Chael wins Jacare would deserve the title shot more but Vitor is the man to beat at MW nowadays so a win over him is a pretty good test for a title shot.

20 lbs north and 5 years ago, if Rashad drops down don't see why he can't take the Machida route.

Regardless of what happens we need to see Jacare vs Weidman. What a great fight that would be.

20 lbs north and 5 years ago, if Rashad drops down don't see why he can't take the Machida route.

Even though I think Machida has improved more and would win a rematch I will admit its not a foregone conclusion given the difference in weight and time but the poster I was responding to asked if anyone thought another top MW could do well against Sonnen's previous three opponents and I don't think its crazy to think Machida could beat Evans in a rematch.

Beating the #1 contender doesn't necesarily makes you the #1 contender.

In that case, he would be 1-1 at 185.

I thought MW was past the stage of awarding title shots so cheaply.

Comes with the price of contenders being eliminated.

Also, whether Chael deserves the shot or not is certainly debatable. Having a win over Vitor would almost trump anyone else's top win.

But, that one win is against the #1 contender. People are making it sound like he is getting a #1 contender fight against Francis Carmont.

But that again suggests that beating the #1 contender = becoming the #1 contender, which isn't necesarily the case, especially when you have other good contenders in line.

If you beat the 2nd best MW in the world why wouldnt you fight the best after that?

Dana has already said that only Vitor will get a title shot if he wins though, so lets relax.

Vitor is not the 2nd best MW in the world.

the arbitrary time scale of 2 years was of your own selection... it doesn't change the fact that outside of Weidman, Machida (who are already fighting) and Belfort (who Chael is fighting) that there is no one else in the middlweight division with a better recent record (within that division) than that. beating Belfort would be a bigger accomplishment than anything done by anyone else in the division that could be considered a contender

Not arbitrary, it's just a fact.

Beating two top fighters inside 7 months > beating two top fighters in 2 years.

Especially if we consider MW has some other good contenders now, which wasn't the case with Weidman.

Comes with the price of contenders being eliminated.

Also, whether Chael deserves the shot or not is certainly debatable. Having a win over Vitor would almost trump anyone else's top win.

This post is for all of you:

So basicly: having the best win > having a good win streak / going through a better moment

?

To be honest, Vitor might be a good win, better than any win any current contender would have, but it's still just one win; one top win at MW in two years, and that doesn't translate into being the best challenger the champion could face.

If there's something every person should know about this sport, is that anyone can beat anyone in any given night, but that's no the toughest part. The toughest part, and what truly separates the great fighters from the rest, is being consistent, and that's simply something you can't achieve by winning one fight.

If you get a title shot after just one good win, then it's either good business, or the division is too shallow.

Classy response by Jacare. Hard not to like the guy. Hope he sees a title shot soon.

This post is for all of you:

So basicly: having the best win > having a good win streak / going through a better moment

?

To be honest, Vitor might be a good win, better than any win any current contender would have, but it's still just one win, and it doesn't translate into being the best challenger the champion could face.

If there's something every person should know about this sport, is that anyone can beat anyone in any given night, but that's no the toughest part. The toughest part, and what truly separates the great fighters from the rest, is being consistent, and that's simply something you can't achieve by winning one fight.

If you get a title shot after just one good win, then it's either good business, or the division is too shallow.

Everything you said makes sense.

However, if we do go any further, it'll be another quality/quantity debate. I'll cut it off here.

Well if he beats Vitor he would be beating the guy that was supposed to fight for the title so it makes sense to me

I'm sure Jacare is salivating at the idea of Chael waiting in the wings if he gets to the title.

Back